What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On 3/9/2018 at 8:58 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Thor has always been my favorite comic-book superhero, but that's Thor the god, not Thor the goof.

MCU Thor has always had a bit of Ultimate Thor's personality, I think. Ragnarok turned that dial up to 11, though. The haircut scene was the most facepalm worthy in regards to his personality. Followed up by the chair screaming when he was in the VR tunnel whatever thing.

Marvel did noble Thor and hence movie logic said the character needs to evolve, so they went with goofy. 

Plus the actor was tired of playing Thor and was ready to move on, but the script for Ragnarok got him excited. The hair cut scene was purely so Chris didn't have to wear hair extensions thus shorter hair & makeup. 

Watching Black Lightning pretty regularly. Looking forward to today's episode. Probably the best, straight up Superhero show, with excellent acting and character building, but full on colorful costumes and powers. Deals with a level of gritty street crime and truly mean villains, but has a great family dynamic that is the real heart of the show.

20 hours ago, Bazza said:

Marvel did noble Thor and hence movie logic said the character needs to evolve, so they went with goofy. 

Plus the actor was tired of playing Thor and was ready to move on, but the script for Ragnarok got him excited. The hair cut scene was purely so Chris didn't have to wear hair extensions thus shorter hair & makeup. 

According to interviews by Hemsworth, Taika Waititi, and Kevin Feige, the hair was just part of a general plan to shake up what had been established for Thor: new costume, smash Mjolnir, kill Odin and other supporting characters, destroy Asgard, etc. That and the different tone sets the stage to take Thor in new directions.

I should also add that I watched Wind River over the weekend... twice now. Amazing movie... brutal, unforgiving, unpleasant... but beautifully shot, well acted, suspenseful and emotionally powerful. (With two of the best "realistic" shoot-outs I've ever seen on film.)

Worth a watch.

7 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets -- Not quite as bad as the reviews made out, though the reviewers were right that there isn't really any chemistry between the two leads. 

--Watched on Amazon Prime

You are kinder than I, sir.

That movie was garbage. No plot, horrible script, pointless set-pieces, lacking humor, graceless... and they take the female lead from being kick-ass and self-reliant, and half-way through make her, literally, a damsel in dis-dress. 5th Element was ridiculous and cheesy, but hilarious throughout, with quite good dialogue and scripting. Valerian was... a boring mess. Even my wife, who is generally not very critical, was shaking her head with "This whole scene is pointless? Why is this even happening?" comments.

50 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

You are kinder than I, sir.

That movie was garbage. No plot, horrible script, pointless set-pieces, lacking humor, graceless... and they take the female lead from being kick-ass and self-reliant, and half-way through make her, literally, a damsel in dis-dress. 5th Element was ridiculous and cheesy, but hilarious throughout, with quite good dialogue and scripting. Valerian was... a boring mess. Even my wife, who is generally not very critical, was shaking her head with "This whole scene is pointless? Why is this even happening?" comments.

Valerian falls into a general category of movies that I wouldn't pay money to see, and don't need to see again. You know, like Battlefield Earth, but with better color design. 

Fifth Element, it ain't. I've seen that movie in the theater, bought it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K, and own the soundtrack.

As an aside, valerian root is often used to treat sleep disorders. Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Oh god, no that movie was vomit-inducing.  The dialogue in Valerian made the romance scenes from Attack of the Clones seem like Shakespeare.  :sick::sick:

I don't know what made me queasier... the reference to Attack of the Clones, or the fact that Valerian was worse. 

47 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Fifth Element, it ain't. I've seen that movie in the theater, bought it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K, and own the soundtrack.

And yes, the Soundtrack to Fifth Element is probably a Top 25 albums of the 90s. Did you see Fifth Element last year, when it returned for the 20th Anniversary? That was good times.

Edit: Favorite line from a review during the 20th Anniversary release of Fifth Element:  "...the sense that societies of the future might not really care who their heroes love, nor how they define themselves, provided they rock a high-necked leopard-print jumpsuit like it was designed for them at a genetic level..."

Green. Super green!

The extras on the Batman DVD box set. This looks at memorabilia, Burt Ward screen testing with Adam West, Adam West's career, Lyle Waggoner screen testing, Adam West going through the first two episodes as he creates Batman, a discussion about Batman, people from the Mentalist, Supernatural and The Arrow discussing the Batman theme, the post production guy James Blakely and the Batgirl pilot

That was good

Am I the only person who enjoys RWBY Chibi while knowing almost nothing about RWBY proper? Because even without knowledge of who most of these people are, it is so darned funny....

The series just started its third season on Youtube. And Neo, a mute villainess who uses signs to communicate (not sign language, actual signs) has become a favorite character -- what a Greek Chorus would be if she was tired of your crap.

They also have a lot of fun with Zwei, a grey corgi who seems to be the pet for just about everybody (he even likes the resident catgirl), and his being the innocent victim of such indignities as having a pill shot down his throat with an actual pill gun.

10 hours ago, death tribble said:

Can we take a sense of proportion ?

Can we talk over-reaction ?

Just because they killed his dog.....

I have just seen John Wick. It was good.

I'm as much a pet-lover as the next person, but this Wick fellow committed mass murder of people whose only crime against him was trying to keep him from murdering the guy who killed his dog. (And stole his car.) What sympathy I might have had for him didn't last long.

But that's what often passes for a hero in Hollywood action films.

23 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm as much a pet-lover as the next person, but this Wick fellow committed mass murder of people whose only crime against him was trying to keep him from murdering the guy who killed his dog. (And stole his car.) What sympathy I might have had for him didn't last long.

But that's what often passes for a hero in Hollywood action films.

he was never a hero. he was a retired villain. and he didn't kill everyone.

Don't get me wrong, things might have gone differently if Viggo hadn't sent the goon squad to Wick's house and upped Josef's security but you don't shoot the Joker's hyenas and expect to walk away with your face.

Viggo knew what was coming since he used to be Wick's boss.

CES