What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

A lot of people make that reference, so it's not surprising you did. I don't think OJ had kindergartner platelets, though.

9 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I think all the cells shown were roughly the same age, but I am not sure.

CES  

It's a reference to the relative size of the cells -- platelets are significantly smaller than red and white blood cells. It's just that the series plays the cute factor to the hilt....

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. It was a visual feast and had some intriguing ideas for aliens and future-tech. Yet, this is 100% a popcorn film. Enjoyable if you sit back and just take it as a spectacle, but the plot is way thin, the dialog is boilerplate, and the acting is unremarkable (neither inspired nor cringe-worthy). There is stuff to steal of a space opera game, if one were looking.

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, the 2017 anime.

It was okay, I guess, but I didn't care for its conception of Godzilla. It was basically a slowly moving mountain with a laser-like beam attack (as well as the stupid Shin-Gojira tail attack). And this notion that each iteration of Godzilla must be bigger and more invulnerable than the last eventually leads to absurdity; it won't be long before he's the size of a planet and can generate localized black holes or something. Also, the technobabble was particularly incoherent.

Went and saw Equalizer II today. I enjoyed the movie about 80+%. Everyone in it was good, they had some great Robert helping people stuff (the opening sequence was great as was the one that started with the girl getting sent home by her employers). Also, they showed about halfway through why the opening sequence happened, so that was great.

The thing that drops the % is that

the writers again think, hey I will put in the twist that the person the hero trusts is actually the villain. I really wish they hadn't done this, but had made the bad guys just a hit squad, no reason for it to personal to Robert

Also the other night, rewatched, since it was in theater, Season of the Witch. Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman. Not a great movie, but I enjoyed it mostly for the total non hollywood cliche stuff - the 2 friends trusted each other and NEVER betrayed each other, the priest keeping an eye on the woman for being a witch was not a pervert who was truly the villain of the piece, and in the end, it turned out the woman was possessed by the devil. When I and my friend saw this in the theater, we loved the fact that the twists were, their weren't any. Everything was exactly as presented.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, zslane said:

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, the 2017 anime.

It was okay, I guess, but I didn't care for its conception of Godzilla. It was basically a slowly moving mountain with a laser-like beam attack (as well as the stupid Shin-Gojira tail attack). And this notion that each iteration of Godzilla must be bigger and more invulnerable than the last eventually leads to absurdity; it won't be long before he's the size of a planet and can generate localized black holes or something. Also, the technobabble was particularly incoherent.

This one bored the hell out of me to be honest....

The Tour de France. 21 days of racing and 2 rest days. Team Sky won again for the 6th time in 7 years. Only this time it was not Chris Froome but Geraint Thomas who was the domestique for both Froome and Bradley Wiggins. Froome had a fall on the 1st stage and although he kept in touch was never able to close the gap. Several others who were also favourites were involved in the crashes and another favourite had a puncture on the 1st stage. Several of the sprinters fell foul of the mountains and were forced to drop out as a result.

Thomas who has had bad luck several times in the past did not have the expected bad day this time round and won 2 stages including Alpe d'Huez becoming the 1st Yellow Jersey to win there.

Peter Sagan who was kicked off the Tour last year won the Green Jersey (the sprinters jersey) and three individual stages.

The Tour stayed mostly in France this year except for some part of the Pyrenees which dipped into Spain.

Chateau watch was entertaining as usual as was the aerial views of things that were organised throughout the route.

Froome was booed again but so were the rest of Team Sky.

I am missing it already as it was 5 to 6 hours a day viewing. 

Yellow Submarine -- My first time watching it, and it would probably be a lot more compelling if I weren't sober. My cat jumped onto the arm of my chair for the song, "Hey Bulldog", but then lost interest and stopped watching after the song was done. (Amazon Prime).

Tried a show on Netflix called Myths & Monsters, by the same people who did Murder Maps.  I got halfway through the first episode and stopped because it was kind of dull, was fixated on Joseph Campbell's grossly overrated Monomyth concept, and wasn't about any actual, you know, myths or monsters.  It was more like a college lecture in a philosophy class by a young prof who just read Campbell.

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Tried a show on Netflix called Myths & Monsters, by the same people who did Murder Maps.  I got halfway through the first episode and stopped because it was kind of dull, was fixated on Joseph Campbell's grossly overrated Monomyth concept, and wasn't about any actual, you know, myths or monsters.  It was more like a college lecture in a philosophy class by a young prof who just read Campbell.

Crash Course World Mythology on YouTube may be more your speed then. A study of the mythology of cultures around the world (even including aspects of Christianity, although they do not attempt to debunk religion -- pretty much the opposite, in fact) dealing with important themes in them. No references to Campbell I've seen yet. It's still in the form of lectures, albeit informal ones.

Watched a NOVA program called "Unearthing the Vikings" which was pretty interesting, in terms of using satellite imagery to find old viking settlements.  They ended the show with the possibility that a new settlement was found on the west end of Newfoundland but the data was inconclusive, if suggestive.  Later examination concluded no settlement was there, but its completely reasonable that they would have built something on the far end of the island from their first landing point in the northeast.