What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On 7/22/2018 at 6:11 PM, Vondy said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. It was a visual feast and had some intriguing ideas for aliens and future-tech. Yet, this is 100% a popcorn film. Enjoyable if you sit back and just take it as a spectacle, but the plot is way thin, the dialog is boilerplate, and the acting is unremarkable (neither inspired nor cringe-worthy). There is stuff to steal of a space opera game, if one were looking.

I saw it at the cinema and didn't mind paying extra for the 3-D version in IMAX. It was a very thrilling and wondrous visual tapestry. The plot had holes but I can live with that. The main characters were 2-D however, and that was the biggest let down for me. Overall, I still think it was on of the best sci-fi films I've seen in quite a while since it didn't rely on military might or vanquishing foes via force as a way to resolve conflicts or drive the story.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid -- Steve Martin's spoof/homage to 1940s Film Noir, done with careful editing of old films to reinforce a new storyline. It drags a bit near the last third, but is generally enjoyable. (Netflix DVD)

Luke Cage Season 2 -- The first few episodes are slow, but the story picks up after that. A bit better than Jessica Jones Season 2, but not as good as the first season. (Netflix streaming)

34 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Luke Cage Season 2 -- The first few episodes are slow, but the story picks up after that. A bit better than Jessica Jones Season 2, but not as good as the first season. (Netflix streaming)

I found the ending of Luke Cage Season 2 to be excellent, better than Season 1. Though again, they tend to drag out the last few episodes longer than need be. 10 would be good. Bushmaster was such an excellent, charismatic and relatable villain. 

My niece from NZ and sister were in town, and my wife and I took them to see the new buddy action comedy, "The Spy Who Dumped Me." Hit and miss comedy, but funnier than I thought it would be. Mila Kunis has the best comedic timing, honed since That '70s Show, and Kate McKinnon is plenty weird. Her roll isn't nearly as well written as it could be. Sam Heughan had a nice try out for a future Bond role. The action is surprisingly brutal and the over-the-top aspects work just fine in an action comedy compared to an action movie trying to take itself seriously. 

38 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

I found the ending of Luke Cage Season 2 to be excellent, better than Season 1. Though again, they tend to drag out the last few episodes longer than need be. 10 would be good. Bushmaster was such an excellent, charismatic and relatable villain. 

The ending was excellent*, but the trip there was often padded with filler. That's been a problem with most Netflix Marvel series as of late, however.

*If I could work the spoiler tags, I'd make a comment here about the real villain of Season 3.

Just got back from seeing Christopher Robbin. Enjoyed it a lot, exactly the movie you probably think it is from the previews. I compare it to Hook (the Robin Williams Peter Pan) in that similar story idea, but I think this one is done much better. I highly recommend for anyone who grew up reading/watching Winnie the Pooh. The people doing the voices for the inhabitants of the hundred acre woods are excellent.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is one of Steve Martin's best films, a shame its not better known.

Been watching Churchill's Secret Agents, its a Netflix series with modern people taking the SOE (WW2 spy) training that was given people before being sent to occupied Europe to organize resistance, sabotage, etc.

The people wear period era clothes, makeup, hair etc.  They listen to only period era radio shows, live in period era conditions and buildings, cars, etc and get the same declassified training.  Its kind of interesting with a lot of nice historical bits.

Just watched Watchmen again... the Ultimate Cut or whatever it was called. Still not a perfect film, but also still well done. Hard to watch Snyder's reveling in Moore's misogyny, but he captures that dystopian '80s milieu really well, and the slow-mo action shots were not cliché and over done as they are now. The movie works.

Annihilation. Really interesting, thought-provoking sci-fi movie for about 85% of its length that falls apart for me just before the end. Though I will admit that one of the scenes I didn't like featured the most powerful soundtrack composition I've heard since Close Encounters, and I've been hearing it echo in my head for the last two days.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, RDU Neil said:

Just watched Watchmen again... the Ultimate Cut or whatever it was called. Still not a perfect film, but also still well done. Hard to watch Snyder's reveling in Moore's misogyny, but he captures that dystopian '80s milieu really well, and the slow-mo action shots were not cliché and over done as they are now. The movie works.

If any story needed multiple movies, this would have been the one. Way too rushed. And changing the ending made the entire premise make no sense. Framing Manhattan wouldn't have made humanity team up to fight him. The blame would be placed squarely on America. He was shown to be in the employ of the government...and even if he "went rogue" the rest of the world is going to blame America for it. That took like two seconds for basically anyone to figure out and you're telling me the " World's Smartest Man" didn't consider the obvious response? I consider Watchmen to be a missed opportunity at best.

3 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

If any story needed multiple movies, this would have been the one. Way too rushed. And changing the ending made the entire premise make no sense. Framing Manhattan wouldn't have made humanity team up to fight him. The blame would be placed squarely on America. He was shown to be in the employ of the government...and even if he "went rogue" the rest of the world is going to blame America for it. That took like two seconds for basically anyone to figure out and you're telling me the " World's Smartest Man" didn't consider the obvious response? I consider Watchmen to be a missed opportunity at best.

I never interpreted it as "humanity teaming up to fight him" as much as "humanity thinking he would punish them if they didn't start being good" as the result. Stated in some lines as "as long as they thought Dr. Manhattan was out there" or something like that. I actually really liked that change much more than the original exploding vagina plants that were meant to be interpreted as an alien attack, or whatever. 

16 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

I never interpreted it as "humanity teaming up to fight him" as much as "humanity thinking he would punish them if they didn't start being good" as the result. Stated in some lines as "as long as they thought Dr. Manhattan was out there" or something like that. I actually really liked that change much more than the original exploding vagina plants that were meant to be interpreted as an alien attack, or whatever. 

Giant alien squids.

Fringe s1