What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

31 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Mark Kermode's Secret of Cinema. Four out of five of the shows as the fifth has not aired yet.

Each episode covers a specific genre. Romantic Comedy, Heists, Coming of Age and Science Fiction. The critic, Kermode, went through specific conventions covering each genre.

Well worth a looik

This sounds really interesting. Is it streaming somewhere, or did you rent it?

Just got back from  The Meg. Surprisingly good execution of shark movie tropes with a talented cast. If you've read and enjoyed the book( I did) you'll enjoy the movie  because it stays mostly true to the source material.  I think the choice of PG rating and less graphic death scenes was a good one but the end sequence could have been longer. It didn't drag I just wanted more. 4 stars out of 5.

On 12/19/2006 at 8:47 AM, Susano said:

I just finished viewing Dog Soldiers, a soldiers versus werewolves movie. I found it liked it at lot, parts made me laugh, parts made me shudder, and parts made me say "that's not right...." I highly recommend it.

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend, for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.

What have you seen recently?

There's a lot of anime that get creepy when you get past the outer-flash and take a closer look at that is implied (then again, the same can be said for many comics, cartoons, and other shows). Ghost in the Shell actually considers what happens when people buy cyber dolls and then dump than in favor of a new model.

8 hours ago, cainayhinhnhucoroi said:

There's a lot of anime that get creepy when you get past the outer-flash and take a closer look at that is implied (then again, the same can be said for many comics, cartoons, and other shows). Ghost in the Shell actually considers what happens when people buy cyber dolls and then dump than in favor of a new model.

There is a brilliant episode on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (in the second season) where the Major is told the story of a girl and boy who are caught in an accident. The girl, to save her life, is put in a cybernetic body, only to have her heart broken when the boy rejects her. My heart broke too when it turned out that it was the Major's own story.

The series is a prime example of transhumanism which explores what it means to be human when mechanical life is everywhere, with and without organic components (the Tachikoma, AI tanks with distinct personalities and goals, are great examples). Japanese manga artists were writing transhumanist stories long before transhumanism was even a word; Tetsuwan Atom (know in the west as Astro Boy) explored these issues in the 1950s and 60s, and Tezuka published his original take on Metropolis in 1948. Leiji Matsumoto's Galaxy Express 999 explores what happens when a boy's quest for a cybernetic body leads him to strange places -- and the anime premiered in 1978.

Malta Story. Alec Guinness comes to Malta on his way to Egypt when his ongoing transport is destroyed during the siege of the island in 1942. He is a photo reconnaissance pilot and is then stationed on the island as it copes with continued bombing from Italy and German bases. It covers the supply of more Spitfires and then Operation Pedestal which also brought more Spitfires and an oil tanker The Ohio which got into Malta with its desks awash. The award of the George Cross is covered and then how the island was used as a base for bombers to attack convoys trying to get oil to the Afrika Korps. The film ends badly for Guinness who is shot down and killed by fighters as he is trying to find a large convoy.

Tonight, my wife was randomly surfing Netflix and, without any prompting from me, said, "Oh... Little Dragon Maiden! We should watch this!"
--
Me: Shaw Brothers. You are in for a treat.
--
Nicole: It is really cool. Like a dance!
--
Nicole: She can fly?
Me: If you are a true master, you can fly. Think of it like this, the main source of super powers is martial arts.
Nicole: Are you making that up?
Me: Not really.
--
Nicole: Why is hopping around like that?
Me: Toad kung-fu.
--
Nicole: Did he just eat the dog? DID HE JUST EAT THE DOG???
--

Nicole: Ewwww. It's so bloody!
--
Me: Cool. They have a tengu spirit!
Nicole: Uhm, ok. What?--
Me: You don't have to watch the whole thing.
Nicole: THERE'S ONLY FIVE MINUTES LEFT!
--
Nicole: Who are they?
Me: Four new bad guys introduced with five minutes left.
--
Giant fight with eight or more masters in day-glo silks, at least one decapitation, one sawed in half down the middle. Several blood spits. Fall from a cliff. Fat, ugly condor tengu rescue. Spinning iron sword drop attack. Exploding bad guy!
--
Freeze frame... The End. Another Shaw Brothers classic!
Me: I'm so impressed you actually sat through the whole thing!
Nicole: 1f629.png?I don't know what I just watched!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084256/

11 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Tonight, my wife was randomly surfing Netflix and, without any prompting from me, said, "Oh... Little Dragon Maiden! We should watch this!"
--
--
Nicole: It is really cool. Like a dance!
--
Nicole: She can fly?
Me: If you are a true master, you can fly. Think of it like this, the main source of super powers is martial arts.
Nicole: Are you making that up?
Me: Not really.
--
Nicole: Why is hopping around like that?
Me: Toad kung-fu.
--
Nicole: Did he just eat the dog? DID HE JUST EAT THE DOG???
--

Nicole: Ewwww. It's so bloody!
--
Me: Cool. They have a tengu spirit!
Nicole: Uhm, ok. What?--
Me: You don't have to watch the whole thing.
Nicole: THERE'S ONLY FIVE MINUTES LEFT!
--
Nicole: Who are they?
Me: Four new bad guys introduced with five minutes left.
--
Giant fight with eight or more masters in day-glo silks, at least one decapitation, one sawed in half down the middle. Several blood spits. Fall from a cliff. Fat, ugly condor tengu rescue. Spinning iron sword drop attack. Exploding bad guy!
--
Freeze frame... The End. Another Shaw Brothers classic!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084256/

Your link to IMDB is polluted--it gives a "leaving Facebook" message. 

44 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

It just links to IMDB for me. No Facebook. Weird.

From IMDB again...  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084256/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hover text from your first link was https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt0084256%2F&h=AT2Z323wJWDMkF4wMDn5B8VH-yYMRZoCy0yo8oyN2_KmroforN0gNBHlEM_Qp0ktimCt82E7PVC9z1grKdhYFiv0_dajNtkJBAPkdGktVTkOzZ1kbBY6Vwg4fcJyZDGq0Bonpcpcgk8vE5Ng0yksyjLUUsACRxhWGZeMlNKqJLW1s54J_LMfoz52oVTcQnurvLUcYCVwwSvMSksxh_8oo2hu5AdZyYCNimHw8LMurKJaWwQ7IfKY9bbBkTOlbfKq1FdyNVoKvWLzRX6ul5BThQ1UUvPhlz-4wSxTRd4kbHxeWFoRzKYjvt__cFtW8HvNTyRGZ_G7aUCTiqOtesLydyrydrbLNS0YXfSddpb2IKNiVbBLfOc

That's a pretty complicated string to link to a static webpage, so I'm guessing that part of that string identifies your Facebook account, and probably mines data from others for possible social links through non-Facebook means.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, Ternaugh said:

The first episode of Disenchanted. I found myself nodding off while watching the tail end of the episode, which is not a good sign at 2 in the afternoon. Of the jokes that I remember, none made me laugh out loud, but a few produced a smile. (Netflix)

On 8/17/2018 at 4:03 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah watched one episode, it was not very well done, with awful cheap music.  Animation is pretty smooth, that's the best you can really say.

My problem with it is that Princess Beam is so intensely unlikable and morally inept. Her world begins and ends with herself.

I suspect Mat Groenig took home the wrong lessons from Seth Macfarlane's success. The Simpsons and Futurama have characters who have a moral compass but stray from it.  Homer and Fry do the wrong things a lot,  but they will eventually recognize their mistakes and try to correct them. You can empathize with their struggles with the absurdities they face. It is almost impossible to empathize with Bean.

22 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

--
--

Nicole might like the 1990's version of Eagle Shooting Heroes, a kung-fu comedy where people fly all over the place. It also involves shoes that accidentally fall off their wearers and become deadly projectiles, ingested invertebrates used as torture devices, the three cheesiest-looking monsters you will ever see, martial arts techniques that warp time and space, and the unluckiest master villain since the Coyote. It's probably a bit dated by now, but I always thought it was hilarious. The fights were choreographed by Sammo Hung, who clearly enjoyed satirizing the "flying people" films popular at the time and came up with some truly outlandish scenes.

Although there was an official US subtitled release (that license appears to have lapsed), the original subtitles that came with the 1993 theatrical release (at the time, Hong Kong was still ruled by the British, and they insisted that all films made in the colony have English subtitles so that censors knew what people were saying; why there were British administrators in HK who did not speak Cantonese can only be explained as arrogance) are in themselves comedy gold. Those subs are hilarious, including deliberately mistranslated dialogue that was spoken in English,

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Nicole might like the 1990's version of Eagle Shooting Heroes, a kung-fu comedy where people fly all over the place. It also involves shoes that accidentally fall off their wearers and become deadly projectiles, ingested invertebrates used as torture devices, the three cheesiest-looking monsters you will ever see, martial arts techniques that warp time and space, and the unluckiest master villain since the Coyote. It's probably a bit dated by now, but I always thought it was hilarious. The fights were choreographed by Sammo Hung, who clearly enjoyed satirizing the "flying people" films popular at the time and came up with some truly outlandish scenes.

Although there was an official US subtitled release (that license appears to have lapsed), the original subtitles that came with the 1993 theatrical release (at the time, Hong Kong was still ruled by the British, and they insisted that all films made in the colony have English subtitles so that censors knew what people were saying; why there were British administrators in HK who did not speak Cantonese can only be explained as arrogance) are in themselves comedy gold. Those subs are hilarious, including deliberately mistranslated dialogue that was spoken in English,

Whether my wife wants to watch it or not, I think I do!  I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks!

Wuxia is always something I enjoy to some extent, even the cheesy bad stuff (which is the majority). Swordsman II is an all time favorite. The Shaw Bros. stuff didn't hold back, where every one and their brother seems to know SOME kung-fu and there is a whacked out fight happening around every corner... vs. some of the "historical" movies like "Red Cliff" that can't make up their mind what they want to be. "Hero" is, of course, one of the modern greats, that manages to turn history into myth in a beautiful way.