What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Saw the animated Dr. Strange on Netflix last night.  Well acted, and follows the comic more than the big movie did. However, speaking as an animation professional, I have to say it had some poor layouts and composition, and who ever story boarded it was in love with Extreme close up of eyes. I don't know if I would reccomend it, but just letting folks know it's there, and in spite of it's flaws, it didn't entirely suck.

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Paddington 2 - Bazza recommended that I watch this, and I'm very glad that I did. It's better than the first movie. This time around, Paddington's looking for a gift for his aunt, but the item is stolen and the little bear is framed for the crime. (Netflix Blu-ray)

Paddington 2: From IMDB:

"The best-reviewed film ever on Rotten Tomatoes. As of the 3th of August 2018, the movie has 199 Fresh reviews and no naysayers, overtaking 163 Fresh and 0 negative critiques from previous record-holder Toy Story 2 (1999)."

Several World War 1 documentaries.

100 Days to Victory. This looks at the partnership of generals Monash and Currie and how that brought about the victory of Amiens by hitting the Germans in ways that they had not expected. The breakthrough was not immediately followed up as the Germans had a way of recovering and then adapting to tactics used against them. That was the focus of the first programme whilst the second looked at the follow up where the British, French and American forces broke through the Hindenburg line and brought the war to an end.

WW1: The Last Tommies. This was a three part documentary culled from 25 years of interviews with British servicemen who survived the war and also families who lost family members in the war. It also included an interview with the last British soldier who fought in the trenches. I believe all the people who took part are now deceased and certainly all the surviving servicemen are. Quite poignant as these old people recall events from the war both at the font and at home. One of the women interviewed volunteered as a nurse and was underage which the recruiter thought was likely but they still employed her. Some of the men were also underage 15 being one example, 19 was the official age. Hearing that the soldiers were close to places were the dead were and that rats made nests in the chest cavity of corpses just boggles the mind.

They Shall Not Grow Old. Peter Jackson did this and it is footage of the war with has been colourised. The track underneath is of servicemen who were interviewed and it relates their experience. These are not the same people as in the Last Tommies but included several medal winning soldiers. It covered up to the Armistice and the immediate aftermath which was a big let down for some of the soldiers who felt that they were adrift in the world.

All of these are worth seeing but the latter two particularly as they have actual participants in the war.

To me, David Suchet is the quintessential Poirot. If that series did a version of this story, I want to see it.

They did, and it was one of the most gutwrenching shows of the series.  The whole series was on netflix a few years and I watched them all.  Great stuff.  Suchet is Poirot like Jeremy Brett is Sherlock Holmes.  Perfectly cast, perfectly portrayed.  At least some of the series is on Amazon Prime right now.

Ninja Batman. A Anime about batman and some villains travelling to feudal japan.

The whole animation styles was wierd. Nothing I remember ever seeing in any anime before. It took some getting used too.

The characters were spot on with the originals. Very faithfull, despite having to translate them for a Japanese Audience.

And there were many turns where I thought both:

a) Okay, I did not see that comming!

b) However it still makes total sense given the circumstances!

And it is rare that a movie surprises me like that.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:48 AM, Doc Shadow said:

Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy

Atomic_Blonde__43199.1509622952.1280.128

I have just watched this and it is incredibly violent. But Charlize does not look out of place in it. She legitimately suffered injury because of the fight scenes. As the film is stylistically linked to John Wick the fighting and shooting is not over the top.

Talking of which I also saw John Wick 2. Again very violent. And can't people take a simple no as an answer ? Keanu delivers the goods again. It is also good to see him work out that he will be betrayed and take appropriate action..

Street Fighter. First time I have seen this all the way through. It does make you miss Raul Julia. And there are plenty of throw away gags in it. Enjoyable.

Sudden Death. The holding hostages for a set time or else scenario given the spin that one of them is the Vice President. And it is given a very credible reason why whatever the police try, fails to work. Worth repeated viewing for the mayhem. 

War of the Worlds: Goliath animated movie on YouTube. The premise is the aftermath of the 1899 invasion from H.G. Wells's novel, advanced to 1914, with humanity having adapted the technology of the Martians, but otherwise dealing with the political issues of that era. Quality animation with a nice steampunk visual; good characters with fine voice acting, and several cool historical figures in the mix. Feels a bit rushed, but the ending makes me think it was intended as first of a series.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Sink me, I don’t think I’ve even heard this version. 

Not a bad rendition, actually.

Today I watched:

UEFA: England vs. Croatia. England won 2-1.

ATP World Tour Finals: Novak Djokovic vs. Alexander Zverev. Sverev won in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.