What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The Gilded Cage. An American airforce security officer gets involved in the veracity of whether a painting is real or not. His brother is implicated as well when the woman he was seeing is murdered.

Snowbound. A film director sends a new actor on his film to Italy to stay in a chalet and listen or news. When he gets there he runs into a disparate group of characters who are also there for something. That something is gold that the Nazis looted from a bank. 1950s British thriller

The Long Arm. A safe is robbed but there seems to be no suspect and how did the robber know that the safe would be full. A second robbery leads to a man being run down and he later dies. Now the police are hunting robbers who will murder. Early 1960s British police thriller.

The Frightened City. Protection racketeering in London which happens also to be one of Sean Connery's earliest films. The group The Shadows had a hit with the theme to the film.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Watched the Ballad of Buster Scruggs, an anthology on Netflix of Western tales.  Its full of great acting, great directing, great cinematography, great writing, and overall its very good stuff.  A bit dark and sad in most of the stories, though.

As are most Coen Brothers films... thought it was quite good myself.

I did see the first part of 'Buster Scruggs', but I've always had issue with the titular character being eliminated before the halfway point. I know it's supposed to be a set of vignettes, but they had enormous opportunity to choose some other title for the whole.

Mostly, I've been catching up with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

The Spaniard's Curse. 1950s British film. A man is sentenced to death for a murder he maintains he did not commit. He curses the judge, the prosecutor, the foreman of the judge and the person who actually committed the crime. The judge's guardian is in the court and she is drawn in to investigate with the half brother of the victim. Her brother is a criminal journalist and he aids them in looking into it. The foreman of the jury is killed in front of the guardian and half brother while trying to cross the road. The investigation leads to a thief who managed to get his hands on some of the murder victim's jewellery and the fact that the prosecutor was involved with the murder victim. It ties up a bit quickly though.

The Chase. A man escapes prison with a fellow prisoner who kills a man and steals his car. The man then finds his way back to his hometown where his wife is having an affair with the son of the area's major employer. The sheriff appointed by said employer is waiting for the escapee to turn up. Some of the locals also get very worked up about it. This is a Marlon Brando film that I had hardly knew anything about. Also Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. Worth a look for dated attitudes in Texas.

The Last Journey. A railway engine driver is upset that he has to retire and believes his wife is having an affair. The passengers on his last journey include a just married couple, a doctor travelling to an operation, a pair of confidence tricksters and their latest mark and they are are pursued by the ex beau of the just married woman. An old film that passes the time.

Unearthly Beauty. A scientist replaces a colleague who has just died having worked out the first part of an idea to project a man through space. The scientist's wife is odd. She can take a hot dish out of the oven without oven gloves, she scares children by her mere presence and she sleeps with her eyes open. She is an alien trying to ensure that earth people don't get any further into space. Worth a look once.

Plaza Suite. Based on the play of the same name the same suite is occupied by three couples one after the other. Walter Matthau plays the man in all three couples. The first concerns a couple celebrating their wedding anniversary; the second a Hollywood producer meeting an old flame and the third the bride's parents trying to get their daughter out of the bathroom she has locked herself in. Bit talky.

Big Trouble in Little Christmas The Christmas Chronicles - Kurt Russell stars as Santa Claus, who gets grounded on Christmas Eve after two kids stow away on his sleigh and cause it to crash. They must get Santa back on his way to restore the Christmas spirit. It basically works because of Kurt Russell. (Netflix)

I think it means Kurt Russell is older and doesn't get parts like he used to, but he wants to work...just like DeNiro.  I also thought the movie was decent.

The Last Kingdom, Season 3:  This is now tied with Peaky Blinders as the second best show on Netflix (behind Stranger Things) for me.  Game of Thrones-esque historical fantasy set set in the late 900s during the time of Alfred the Great.  This season was the best yet as the show has steadily improved since season 1 which was pretty decent.  The are based off the Saxon Stories, a series of novels by Bernard Cornwell.

Re-watched the episode(s) "The Savage Time" from the Justice League animated series. A lot of great cameos and nods to Golden Age DC characters.

And may I simply say, the idea of Vandal Savage with 21st century technology at the head of the Third Reich is absolutely terrifying.

The Good Dinosaur - The meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs misses earth in this alternate timeline. Millions of years later, we get the story of Arlo, an apatosaurus, who has to deal with his fears to be able to "make his mark". He's given the task of catching a pest who keeps on raiding their grain silo, but finds that he can't kill the human "cub". He ends up losing his father to a flood, and sometime later is separated from his home. The human ends up helping him, and the two try to make their way past a number of obstacles back to Arlo's home. I had missed this one when it was released, but I found it to be a good (though not great) Pixar film. Still worth a watch. (Netflix Blu-ray).

Disney's Hercules - The story plays fast and loose with the myths, but generally ends up as an entertaining film. (Blu-ray)

25 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Disney's Hercules - The story plays fast and loose with the myths, but generally ends up as an entertaining film. (Blu-ray)

James Woods as Hades absolutely steals that movie. Reportedly that characterization was his invention, based on the attitude he did his audition with. They rewrote the character to take advantage of Woods' performance.

I.e. other actors were coming in doing, "I AM HADES!" and Woods just started going, "Hey, I'm Hades, god o' death, how ya doin'? Let's do lunch, we'll talk, we'll laugh, you'll sell me your soul, whaddaya say?"

19 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

James Woods as Hades absolutely steals that movie. Reportedly that characterization was his invention, based on the attitude he did his audition with. They rewrote the character to take advantage of Woods' performance.

I.e. other actors were coming in doing, "I AM HADES!" and Woods just started going, "Hey, I'm Hades, god o' death, how ya doin'? Let's do lunch, we'll talk, we'll laugh, you'll sell me your soul, whaddaya say?"

When I watched it this time through, I realized that Woods is playing Hades as Lex Luthor with his own version of a land scheme, with Pain and Panic as Otis, and Meg as Miss Tessmacher/Lois Lane. Hercules in several sections even sounds like Christopher Reeve's Superman, and of course, he loses his powers in the last act only to get them again through Meg's actions (like Miss Tessmacher removing the Kryptonite). Hercules even reverses Meg's death.

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

Please no complete story breakdowns. It is annoying enough when I can predict the storyline from just trailers and I really like it when they obfuscate it nowadays.

For you:

The Good Dinosaur - This 2015 Pixar movie is the story of a dinosaur and his pet as they make their way through a bunch of adventures to get home.

Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World (1978) - The version that I watched is a remastered, 16x9 pilot for the original series. It looks good. The box set also includes the followup series and the theatrical release (which differs in a way that Christopher would not like me to reveal). The 4x3 versions are also included in the package. (Blu-Ray)

13 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Xanadu (1980) - Find your Muse, and build a roller disco. One of the two films that inspired the Razzie Awards*, I still enjoy watching it every once in a while. (Netflix DVD)

*The other one was Can't Stop the Music, which featured the Village People and Bruce Jenner.

I liked Xanadu. Probably says to much about me.