What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

16 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Third Man (1949) - Joseph Cotten stars as a writer who arrives in post-war Vienna and finds the friend that he was supposed to meet has apparently been killed in an accident. Moody and dark, the film is a classic that's highly recommended. (Netflix)

Other British noir from the era:

- Brighton Rock, starring a young Richard Attenborough. #15 on BFI Top 100 British films of 20th Century. 

- Odd Man Out, starring James Mason. I saw this yrs ago and liked it. 

The second top film of BFI Top 100 British films is Brief Encounter, released in 1945. A love story with a difference. 

You might like to watch those. :) 

I finally got to see "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" aka Fantastic Beasts 2.

Nr .1 was a good standalone film. Something you can follow without knowing more then "mages exist and they are kept secret from the normal world".

Nr. 2 is nothing like that. It throws you head first into the complicated lore. It also starts way too many subplots.

While I could figure the final twist the moment a certain bird was mentioned, we spend the entire credits just figuring out: "HOW?" I will propably have to read the wiki just to make sense of this.

I purchased the new season of Doctor Who from Amazon Prime on the ongoing subscription. Two episodes in so far. I like it. Jodie Whittaker could stand to tone down the wacky a bit, but that's been true of several other Doctors (McCoy, for example, was originally written for wackiness and "matured" to become one of the darker Doctors). I like Graham too -- his attempts to pass on wisdom to his step-grandson seem to usually be failing (a lot of resentment in that relationship) and it's very interesting to have a fother-figure in the TARDIS who isn't the Doctor. They seem to be setting up a confrontation with a new alien species (the first tw3o episodes feature that species) and I don't know yet whether there will be an obligatory Dalek story later in the season.

Next episode is about the Civil Rights movement in the American South.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I purchased the new season of Doctor Who from Amazon Prime on the ongoing subscription. Two episodes in so far. I like it. Jodie Whittaker could stand to tone down the wacky a bit, but that's been true of several other Doctors (McCoy, for example, was originally written for wackiness and "matured" to become one of the darker Doctors).

I got the impression from Sylvester McCoy's performance that his Doctor was consciously acting wacky as a pose to throw people off. He could become deadly serious at a moment's notice.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:07 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I purchased the new season of Doctor Who from Amazon Prime on the ongoing subscription. Two episodes in so far. I like it. Jodie Whittaker could stand to tone down the wacky a bit, but that's been true of several other Doctors (McCoy, for example, was originally written for wackiness and "matured" to become one of the darker Doctors). I like Graham too -- his attempts to pass on wisdom to his step-grandson seem to usually be failing (a lot of resentment in that relationship) and it's very interesting to have a fother-figure in the TARDIS who isn't the Doctor. They seem to be setting up a confrontation with a new alien species (the first tw3o episodes feature that species) and I don't know yet whether there will be an obligatory Dalek story later in the season.

Next episode is about the Civil Rights movement in the American South.

One of the things I like watching her is that you get moments you can see the personalities of the previous doctors pop through, specifically Tennant and Capaldi, but I see some of the older ones.

5 hours ago, Christopher said:

Just from the trailers it seems a bit ... childish to me. Like something you would at best watch with your kids, rather then as a grown up. Was I wrong?

It's target audience is definitely kids, but the writing is more clever than the original series, so palatable if  you're an adult with a six year old niece who likes to chat about her favorite cartoons.

Last night we finished El Ministerio del Tiempo, a series from Spain about a secret branch of the Spanish government called the Ministry of Time. It turns out Spain has for centuries had access to the past through a series of doors, each leading to a specific time and place. Thing is, time always moves forward, so if you go into a door today and spend a day there, you'll come back a day later. And vice versa; if you wait a day and then enter a door, a day will have passed there as well.  Also, there is no way to travel beyond the present, only the past...which is, of course, always expanding as the present moves on.

The mission of the Ministry of Time is to make sure that Spanish history doesn't change. There are always forces at work that can change history, and the difficult job they have is to make sure it doesn't...even when the change would be good for Spain, the main characters, or their loved ones.

It's a nice take on time travel, and the series is a great adventure with wonderful characters, but it also gives a view of Spanish history and shows the world through Spanish eyes (from several different viewpoints).

Overall, it's quite good. It took a bit to really find its legs, but once it did, it became a rollicking good show that lasted three wonderful seasons.

Check it out on Netflix if it sounds like something you might enjoy.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, PhantomGM2602 said:

How about:

1) My Hero Academia [Funimation]

2)Black Lightning [CW]

3)The Ray [CW]

4) Star Trek: Discovery (1st Season) [CBS All Access}

5)She-Ra & The Princesses Of Power [NETFLIX]

Number One would make a great Teen Champions campaign, though the Japanese laws and bureaucracy would either need to be researched, or some of it dropped if it was set in the US.

How is Black Lightning? 

I have never heard of The Ray

Hated Star Trek Discovery Much preferred The Orville

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Okay I binged that one the other day. While not so much a fan of the art style, and animation itself was pretty good, But probably the best part of the show is the writing.  The background is a lot richer than the old show. The dialogue is a lot snappier, and the characters are sharply defined.  very watchable.   

12 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Number One would make a great Teen Champions campaign, though the Japanese laws and bureaucracy would either need to be researched, or some of it dropped if it was set in the US.

How is Black Lightning? 

I have never heard of The Ray

Hated Star Trek Discovery Much preferred The Orville

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Okay I binged that one the other day. While not so much a fan of the art style, and animation itself was pretty good, But probably the best part of the show is the writing.  The background is a lot richer than the old show. The dialogue is a lot snappier, and the characters are sharply defined.  very watchable.   

Black Lightning Season 1 was very good, and highly recommended. It's available on Netflix. Season 2 is currently airing on CW (they've apparently aired 9 episodes so far), and should also hit Netflix after the season finishes.