What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

That's the Jools Pete Townshend was referring to in "Jools and Jim", isn't it? The one he chided by saying she "listened to love with her intellect"?

Don't know never heard it

Top 10 most satisfying deaths in Game of Thrones. Several involve Arya. She kills Polliver, Trant, Walder Frey and his family. Sansa sets the dogs on Ramsey Bolton and orders Baelish's death at Arya's hand. Ramsey kills Roose and of course Viserys Targaryen getting the crown he wants.

The Brink's Job. How a bunch of small time crooks pulled off one of the most impressive robberies in American history in post World War 2 America. Does not exactly paint the Brinks company in a good light. well worth a look for Pulp Hero, Champions and Dark Champions GMs and players on how to pull off a job. Well worth a look.

Hombre. Paul Newman plays a man brought up by American Indians who comes up against Richard Boone's outlaw. This is not a typical Western and thus deserves a look.

Duel in the Sun. Gregory Peck and Joseph Cotton in a Western that greatly influenced Scorsese. That colours particularly. I had seen bits of the film before but never the whole thing. It is definitely worth a look.

Viva Zapata. A biopic of the Mexican revolutionary with Marlon Brando as Zapata. Even has Dr No as one of the people who backs but then betrays the hero. 

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

That's the Jools Pete Townshend was referring to in "Jools and Jim", isn't it? The one he chided by saying she "listened to love with her intellect"?

Unlikely, as Jools Holland is a male british host who, not sure if still going on, hosted a musical variety show. Every episode usually ran a gambit of style and generations. You would see a brand new band on the same episode that had Pete Townsend or Paul McCartney. It has been being repeated on what used to be Palladia and is now MTV Live.

Justice League: Marginally better than BvS, though the color grading and odd special effects choices often had me feeling like I was watching a bunch of video game cut scenes strung together (which would actually explain much of the plot). Audio mix claimed to be Atmos, but my height channels seemed to be reserved for reproducing the engine growl of whatever vehicle Batman happened to bring to the scene. Music score tried to give flashes of older character themes, but the sound engineer couldn't decide if it should be heard or not. (Blu-ray via Netflix)

Did you know there was a new version of Wacky Races?

I didn't either. But it's been made and is currently "airing" on Time-Warner's Boomerang channel (accessible through VRV.co). The show has no other goal than to provoke laughter and doesn't care whether you remember the gags ten minutes later. Although in the episode I saw, the running joke of "I'm glad the (object here) didn't explode!" is used effectively.  It also has a smaller cast than the original (the Ant Hill Mob is notably missing).

Just finished watching The Nightmare Before Christmas for the second time.

The first time I watched, years ago when my wife bought me the DVD, I found it rather slow, but at the time I thought it was just me.

Watched it with the wife this time, after going through most of my Christmas movie collection, and she said "That seemed kind of long, what was it, about 2 hours?"

75 minutes.

I know everyone else loves it.

It's Tim Burton.

It's Goth.

It has bushel baskets of style oozing from every frame.

People all over the country have Jack Skellington tattoos, and shirts and hats.

But I just find it painfully slow to actually watch the thing.

I think Jack is really cool too, I could even see myself getting a shirt or mug with him on it.

But I think this is one of those things where the creator fell so in love with his creation that he didn't leave a single frame on the cutting room floor.

I think that buried somewhere in this morass is a very clever and original half-hour show, that got bloated beyond all recognition.

Go ahead, hate me, but that is the way I feel.

KA.

P.S. Before that we watched an animated (probably straight to video) Christmas movie called "Saving Santa". It was way better than I expected (because I expected it to be crap :) )

It has some halfway acceptable songs, it has an interesting time travel subplot that they handle fairly well for a crappy cartoon, and Tim Curry does the voice of the villain. If you see it for a dollar, and you have kids that will watch anything that has Santa attached, you may want to check it out.

Victor/Victoria: A musical remake of a 1933 German movie about a woman playing a man playing a woman. (Amazon Prime)

Starship Troopers: A decent movie if you assume that it bears about the same amount of faithfulness to the source material as I, Robot. Do you want to know more? (Amazon Prime 4K HDR*)

*Apparently, it was remastered for a 20th Anniversary edition. The picture quality is better than when I saw it originally in the theater.

Daredevil, season 3. With the return of Wilson Fisk, and no need to set up Defenders or Punisher, the series became great again. Well worth watching, and quite a wonderful way to go out.

Killjoys, season 4. We just started this, but so far it's as fun as it always has been. It was great to get a classic Johnny & Dutch story to kick off the season. Their relationship is the heart of the series, and like with most series, the writers feel the best way to drive the story forward is to drive a wedge into relationships that work. So we suffer a lot between views of the greatness that kept us watching in the early days. This series is a little better about that than most, and hopefully the setup for this season will follow through with the obvious, bringing them together quickly (if only mentally).

Killing Eve. Sandra Oh plays a member of British Intelligence hunting a mysterious female assassin. 8 x 42 minute episodes (no adverts). Kim Bodnia who was in the first two series of The Bridge is the assassin's handler. This was very good and I thoroughly recommend it. Available on BBC iPlayer if you can get it.

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema Christmas movies. Mark makes the case that Die Hard is a Christmas movie despite as he himself says Bruce Willis says it is not. Mark goes into the various tropes. Very entertaining.

Scrooge. This is the 1951 black and white film which some (me included) believe is the definitive version. Alistair Sim plays Scrooge. This is just simply wonderful.

The ABC Murders. This is the new version of the Poirot story which has the detective portrayed as a fraud. Inspector Japp dies at the start in disgrace and you have Rupert Grint playing his replacement. Funny thing is that the David Suchet version was on as well over the break. And that is better. This version has an origin for Poirot being played by John Malkovich. He was not a detective but a priest whose congregation was murdered by German soldiers in WW1. The basic plot is still the same so the killer is the same.

Goodness Gracious Me. 20 Years Innit. A look back to the Asian comedy series that started 20 years ago. I remember it well. And I liked it.

Roy Orbison and Friends. A Black and White Night. Roy Orbison sings backed up by Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen.If you like Orbison this is a real treat.