What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Ant Man and the Wasp. Scott Lang and Luis are back to show old school super agent and physicist Dr. Hank Pym how to save a lab made from a doll house from a intangible assassin and a southern fried weapons dealer with their street smarts.

The Equalizer 2- Robert McCall's best friend is killed while investigating a murder-suicide. He demonstrates his investigative skills while tracking down the murderer, then he shows how to set a house on fire with sugar

Plan to watch Along with the Gods the last 49 steps. Will let you know how it goes.

CES 

Decided to watch some "new" movies over the holidays.

Watched:

Peppermint

The Predator

The Hitman's Bodyguard

The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Venom

They were OK with Peppermint and The Hitman's Bodyguard being the best of those listed IMO. 

None were great and I definitely am glad I didn't see them full price in a theater. 

But they were all rent-worthy. 

Thanks to the holiday time off, we were able to finish Killjoys, S4. It's still a fun show, but the need to keep it going is stretching the main story arc out beyond all reason. I think series that rely too heavily on a series-long story arc tend to suffer because of it. Better to empasize season-long arcs, while keeping the series-long stuff in the background most of the time.

I saw Thor the Dark World once in the theater. Never felt the desire to see it again. Malekith is perhaps the blandest, most superficial villain in the MCU. And that's saying something.

OTOH I just recently watched Prelude to Axanar on YouTube, the crowd-funded independent Star Trek short film that's intended as a prequel to a much bigger Axanar story. Very well made, full of Trek Easter eggs and callbacks, and oozing with love for the history of the property that the recent Star Trek Discovery seems to lack.

After years of legal hassles with CBS over being allowed to continue this "unofficial" project, word is that Axanar is finally moving forward again, albeit in an altered form.

And probably why it's good dramatically that Asgard was destroyed before Infinity War. There's no cavalry from the stars coming to help the Avengers fight Thanos and save the universe -- we're on our own. (Come to think of it, that could be one explanation for why Thanos waited that long to make his move.)

1 hour ago, bubba smith said:

space stars/space ghost on youtube

I found a large number of episodes of those classic Hanna-Barbera animated adventure series on the European file-sharing website, Dailymotion. Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, Herculoids (my personal favorite). Much great vintage stuff there, often things not hosted on YouTube.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:20 AM, Bazza said:

Thor the Dark World, one of my favourites in the MCU. The closest we get to Asgard going to war for existence against non-existence. 

I wish we'd get to see some more Darcy in the MCU.

"How's space?" "Space is fine."

Family Plot: Hitchcock's last movie, this one's billed as a mystery/comedy, and it holds up if you approach it that way. (Netflix DVD)

The Muppet Movie: I probably hadn't seen this one in about 20 years, but it's still enjoyable to watch, especially for all of the cameos. Blu-Ray transfer looks and sounds very good, as well. (Blu-Ray)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: One of the things that the MCU has been able to do is to tell a variety of stories within the superhero framework. This one's their spy thriller, and it's a great ride. (Blu-Ray)

I'm trying to get through Legion. I really am. But it is such an incoherent mind f*ck that I'm ready to give up on it. It gets high marks for being artistically ambitious--though I'm sorely tempted to call it pretentious instead--but it fails to be entertaining in the process, at least for me.

4 hours ago, bubba smith said:

Hitman agent 47

ironic isn't it how the character was portrayed by an actor named 'friend' when an assassin cannot risk HAVING friends 

I actually liked both Hitman movies that have been made, but then Olga Kurylenko is a crush of mine and I like Oliphant (still wish they had done more with his Phantom) so the first might be because of that.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

I'm trying to get through Legion. I really am. But it is such an incoherent mind f*ck that I'm ready to give up on it. It gets high marks for being artistically ambitious--though I'm sorely tempted to call it pretentious instead--but it fails to be entertaining in the process, at least for me.

I tried, I really did.