Jump to content
Susano

What Have You Watched Recently?

Recommended Posts

Punisher Season 2 trailers - Seems like Jigsaw should have more scars; hopefully they go full Punisher this season, I thought Season 1 Punisher was a little soft.  Comic book Frank Castle is an irredeemable, merciless vigilante and the series should embrace that.

 

John Wick Chapter 3 trailer - Keanu Reeves still kills guys good, but trailer didn't reveal too much.  Not that there'll be much plot to give away, mind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Like It Hot: Classic comedy with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon hiding from the mob by joining an all-girl band that features Marilyn Monroe as vocalist and ukulele player. (Included with Amazon Prime)

 

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: Guy Ritchie applies his style to this movie based on the 1960s TV series with mixed results. A better script and less editing tricks would have helped. (Netflix DVD.Com Blu-ray)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: Guy Ritchie applies his style to this movie based on the 1960s TV series with mixed results. A better script and less editing tricks would have helped. (Netflix DVD.Com Blu-ray)

 

I absolutely loved this movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

 

I absolutely loved this movie.

 

I've been recently watching the old series, and so part of my capsule review is probably because of that. I'm also less impressed with Ritchie's style trademarks*, and would have preferred a more linear (and more substantial) story. Obviously, YMMV.

 

 

 

*I burned out on Brian DePalma's trademark split-screen treatment in his later movies. Sometimes, you gotta know when not to throw in more seasoning to the dish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Some Like It Hot: Classic comedy with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon hiding from the mob by joining an all-girl band that features Marilyn Monroe as vocalist and ukulele player. (Included with Amazon Prime)

 

Have you seen Connie and Carla? Written by and starring Nia Vardolos, in some ways it's a distaff counterpart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Homeland, S7.  It was an OK season, but there was a lot of stupid characters doing stupid things, too. Overall, it seemed like the writers were trying to recapture the glory of S1 but didn't know how. It was worth watching, but I'm not sure I'll watch S8.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KA. said:

Currently watching Season One of The Wild WIld West.

Recently bought the DVD's for 3 dollars.

The show still holds up.

This is the 40th Anniversary Edition and has lots of extras.

Good stuff.

 

KA.

 

I have the "saddlebag" set of the complete series, and I really enjoy the audio intros by Robert Conrad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't watch any specific thing so much as teach Mom how to use her Roku. I explained how to use Search on the Youtube app and let her play around with it. I think she's getting it. She claims she's not a true Luddite, but she does have trouble with technology and asking her to use a smartphone might be a bit much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devil Girl From Mars. A spaceship lands in Britain near an isolated hotel. The woman occupant wants a man from Earth to take back for breeding purposes. The rest of the planet will suffer. A rather trite 50s Sci Fi film from Britain.

 

Young Mr Pitt. This is a World War 2 film used as propaganda to boost public morale. The life of the younger Pitt as he takes over as PM and confronts Bonaparte. The parallels are rather obvious. Stars Ronald Colman.

 

Thunder Rock. Another WW2 film this time about a man manning a lighthouse after failing to arouse the public against the dangers of Germany, Italy and Japan. The man imagines the ghosts of a ship that floundered close by 90 years previously. The ghosts then tell him what he has got wrong about them and their real lives and why they came to America to start again. Michael Redgrave stars.

 

The Green Man. An assassin who goes after pompous targets finds himself up against a vacuum cleaner salesman. Stars Alistair Sim and George Cole with a guest appearance by Terry Thomas

 

The Traitors. The Intelligence Services pursue a cell of agents after an air crash reveals material being taken out of the country.

 

Light Up the Sky ! A World War 2 set film about the soldiers manning a searchlight. Stars Benny Hill and Tommy Steele 

 

Circle of Deception. An officer is sent into France to be captured and tortured for information. Bradford Dillman stars.

 

The Brain Machine. After an accident victim's EEG is taken the doctor in charge of his case believes it bears a similarity to one taken of a murderer. The victim then kidnaps the doctor and her husband and police try to find him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to see a few films that I have missed over recent years

 

Tropic Thunder. This is brilliant. Tom Cruise as the producer was a revelation. Then there is Robert Downey Junior in 'blackface' and he does not really get that he is offending the actual African American in the cast.

 

Toy Story 3. The toys end up up in a daycare as Andy is going to college. I get why some people would be upset. Worth seeing.

 

The Revenant. I do not want to get mauled by a bear ever. Di Caprio goes after Tom Hardy after the latter murders Di Caprio's son and abandons him in the frontier wilderness. Definitely worth a look.

 

American Ultra. Shock horror ! Kirsten Stewart and Jessie Eisenberg in film that does not suck shock ! The story of a stoner who suddenly finds himself targeted for death and can defend himself with lethal consequences. It's short and fast.

 

American Hustle. How a number of American politicians were targeted by the FBI in a sting operation. Christian Bale stars.

 

The Huntsman: Winter's War. The Huntsman returns and finds himself up against his former employer the Ice Queen. It was a nice surprise.

 

Big Hero 6. At the third time of asking I got to see this. It was a lot of fun. And cameos by Black Talon and Orca figurines in the background of the family home .

 

Mercury Rising. After a child deciphers a new code assassins are dispatched to kill him. A disgraced agent then protects him. Bruce Willis vehicle and entertaining.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derry Girls. Hilarious sitcom from Northern Ireland, set in the early 90s during the Troubles.

 

Grand Tour, S2. Still a fun, funny show.

 

Punisher, S2. Two episodes in, and it seems just as good as S1 so far.  Which is to say, not spectacular, but well done and very much worth watching.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Devil Girl From Mars.

Young Mr Pitt.

Thunder Rock.

The Green Man.

The Traitors.

Light Up the Sky !

Circle of Deception.

The Brain Machine. 

 

I've never heard of any of these. I'm going to look some up. Thanks.

 

 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Big Hero 6. At the third time of asking I got to see this. It was a lot of fun. And cameos by Black Talon and Orca figurines in the background of the family home.  

 

My favorite Stan Lee cameo!

 

 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Mercury Rising. After a child deciphers a new code assassins are dispatched to kill him. A disgraced agent then protects him. Bruce Willis vehicle and entertaining.  

 

I thought they missed a beat at the end. When the kid was reviewing his flash cards, I could have sworn they'd have one for "friend" with Willis' picture.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Devil Girl From Mars. A spaceship lands in Britain near an isolated hotel. The woman occupant wants a man from Earth to take back for breeding purposes. The rest of the planet will suffer. A rather trite 50s Sci Fi film from Britain.

 

Young Mr Pitt. This is a World War 2 film used as propaganda to boost public morale. The life of the younger Pitt as he takes over as PM and confronts Bonaparte. The parallels are rather obvious. Stars Ronald Colman.

 

Thunder Rock. Another WW2 film this time about a man manning a lighthouse after failing to arouse the public against the dangers of Germany, Italy and Japan. The man imagines the ghosts of a ship that floundered close by 90 years previously. The ghosts then tell him what he has got wrong about them and their real lives and why they came to America to start again. Michael Redgrave stars.

 

The Green Man. An assassin who goes after pompous targets finds himself up against a vacuum cleaner salesman. Stars Alistair Sim and George Cole with a guest appearance by Terry Thomas

 

The Traitors. The Intelligence Services pursue a cell of agents after an air crash reveals material being taken out of the country.

 

Light Up the Sky ! A World War 2 set film about the soldiers manning a searchlight. Stars Benny Hill and Tommy Steele 

 

Circle of Deception. An officer is sent into France to be captured and tortured for information. Bradford Dillman stars.

 

The Brain Machine. After an accident victim's EEG is taken the doctor in charge of his case believes it bears a similarity to one taken of a murderer. The victim then kidnaps the doctor and her husband and police try to find him

 

50 minutes ago, mattingly said:

I've never heard of any of these. I'm going to look some up. Thanks.

The Green Man is really recommended. It is a lot of fun.

It and Thunder Rock and the Young Mr Pitt will be easier to find than any of the others.

The Traitors and The Brain Machine I would not recommend. The former can be quite dark and is not as well shot as the other films.

You can get images from Devil Girl from Mars by typing it in Google.

I had not heard of Light Up the Sky ! and Circle of Deception before they were screened and are different from other war films in their subject matter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And before I forget

 

Allied. This is the Brad Pitt World War 2 movie whereby he teams up with Marion Cottilard in Africa and then marries her. He is then tasked with killing her as she is an enemy agent. Brad goes into France to try to find out the truth. It is nice to see Lysanders which were aircraft used to get into and out of France.

 

Sahara. This is the Penelope Cruz film with an old Civil War ship ending up in the desert and being recovered whilst an illness outbreak endangers Africans. An energy project is also involved. It is easy to see why this did not make a lot of money.

 

Hail Caeser ! A Coen Brothers film about the film industry in the 50s during the Red Scare. It is fun.

 

The Fabulous Baker Boys. Two piano playing brothers bring a woman into the act. Finally saw this movie. It is good. It makes you wonder what Beau has been doing whilst Jeff has been making good movies the last twenty years.

 

Supergirl Season 2. Calista Flockhart is absent for the bulk of the series and they usurp the origin of the Daxamites, the Parasite and Miss Martian. It was nice to see Linda Carter, Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher. I can't say I like the cosmic imp. I liked it overall. Although they did nerf Superman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, death tribble said:

 

Sahara. This is the Penelope Cruz film with an old Civil War ship ending up in the desert and being recovered whilst an illness outbreak endangers Africans. An energy project is also involved. It is easy to see why this did not make a lot of money.

 

 

It's technically a Dirk Pitt movie, which is essentially a Marty Stu character for author Clive Cussler. The other Dirk Pitt movie was Raise the Titanic, a 1980 adventure film which posits that a magical anti-nuclear laser can only be powered by a rare mineral that had gone down on the Titanic. Most of the movie seemingly consists of other characters seriously intoning variations on "if only Dirk Pitt were here."

 

Neither film was financially successful (or very good).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...