What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On January 28, 2019 at 5:54 AM, Starlord said:

Particularly enjoyed the last episode of the Orville involving a civilization which bases your societal worth based on astrological signs.  Was sorry to see the old security officer go**, but I've enjoyed her two replacements so far.

**As a Star Trek parody, it seems particularly fitting that the security officer should exit the show fairly early on.  :)

uhgng.... Ugh....  Oh, wow.  This is.... this is a lot heavier than I thought it would be....

Be a real shame, though, if I accidentally dropped it right here.....

enfzkfypqxby.jpg

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

uhgng.... Ugh....  Oh, wow.  This is.... this is a lot heavier than I thought it would be....

Be a real shame, though, if I accidentally dropped it right here..... 

enfzkfypqxby.jpg

His Bat'leth also makes Klingon Chancelors.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:01 PM, slikmar said:

wait, the deposed aristocracy are a bunch of high school singing club? (yes, I know what you meant, but autofills make me laugh, one of the best parts of Ralph Wrecks the Internet is the over aggressive auto fill).

The autocorrect for the iPhone is quite aggressive, yes. 

The Pickwick Papers. A 1952 adaptation of the Dickens novel. Fun. Mr Jingle as the villain is a delight.

Do You Know this Voice ? A kidnap becomes a murder mystery as the victim is found dead but the kidnapper still contacts the family. Dated due to the advances in tech but watchable.

A Hill in Korea. National Service personnel and proper army in Korea and they run into Chinese and have to make a stand. Robert Shaw, George Baker, Stanley Baker (no relation) and Michael Caine (his first credited appearance although he had two uncredited ones). Very good.

Forever England. A British sailor tries to stop a German warship from leaving an island in order for other British units to find it

Dont't Panic Chaps ! a small unit of British soldiers and a small unit of German soldiers occupy an island and agree a truce until a woman becomes washed up there as well.

Of these The Pickwick Papers and A Hill in Korea are worth looking for.

and now a spoof and siren special

Our Man in Marrakesh. One of several people from a plane is a contact for local fixer Herbert Lom. Senta Berger is one of the reasons to see this. Also has Klaus Kinski.

Fathom. Raquel Welch is a skydiver who gets mixed up in a quest to recover the Firedragon.

Modesty Blaise. A big screen adaptation of the heroine's adventures. Watch this for Mrs Fothergill, the henchwoman of the main villain Dirk Bogarde who has a whale of a time as the bad guy.

She. Ursula Andress is an immortal seeking her long lost love. Also has Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

All four are fun and are worth watching at least once.

Magnum Force: The second Dirty Harry film, this time he encounters "more effective" law enforcement. (Blu-ray via Netflix DVD.com)

The Wild Wild West Season 1: Just finished this, and will be moving on to season two soon. It's still quite a lot of fun. (DVD)

Velvet Buzzsaw: Part art world satire, part horror thriller. I found it entertaining. (Netflix)

The Enforcer: Dirty Harry vs terrorists. (Blu-ray via Netflix DVD.com)

Sudden Impact: Dirty Harry's sent on a research trip concerning a violent murder, and contemplates justice. (Blu-ray via Netflix DVD.com)

Lethal Weapon: New partner/buddy cop movie with a subplot involving drug smuggling (Hulu)

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: The third installment of the Brendan Frasier Mummy series isn't as strong a story as the first one (or even the second), but there are still some enjoyable parts. (Netflix)

Saw Battle Angel Alita. Decent live action anime. From reading Wikipedia I get the impression they condensed a lot.

The previews showed Godzilla-can't wait, and apparently they are remaking dirty rotten scoundrels with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson, though it is called something different. Also a remake of pet cemetery.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, slikmar said:

Saw Battle Angel Alita. Decent live action anime. From reading Wikipedia I get the impression they condensed a lot. 

I and my friends are currently uncertain if we should go into it. Mostly it is those eyes. The CGI enlargement puts them plain into the uncanny valley for us.