What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

46 minutes ago, mattingly said:

The premise sounded fun, but the trailer was painful. If there's ever an edited-for-TV version, I might see if it's worth continuing.

There wouldn't be much dialogue left, as a lot of the purported humor seemed to be making Muppets say the F-word or solicit sex acts. 

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

There wouldn't be much dialogue left, as a lot of the purported humor seemed to be making Muppets say the F-word or solicit sex acts. 

But isn't that what passes for high art these days.  It has been years since I have seen and honestly funny comedian or comedy show/movie that didn't center on profanity or just hating on one person/group or another.   

Stop watching comedy?!?  That would be like refusing to eat dinner.

Recently watched comedies:

Season 3 of The Santa Clarita Diet.  Unfortunately it's been cancelled.

Brockmire.  Oh no, adult humor!  Plus baseball!

What We Do In The Shadows.  An enjoyable series version of the Taika Waititi-Jemaine Clement movie.

Speaking of Jemaine Clement, I recently watched the concert special Flight of the Conchords: Live in London, after binging both seasons of the HBO series.

Next up is to binge the new season of Barry on HBO.

8 hours ago, Armory said:

What We Do In The Shadows.  An enjoyable series version of the Taika Waititi-Jemaine Clement movie.

The series is quite funny! I laugh out loud several times per episode.

The Vampire Council in The Trial episode was outstanding.

Since I'm moving, and my apartment was striped nearly to the bare walls only to discover the new apartment wouldn't be available for another 2-3 weeks, I warmed up my Netflix and watched the first episode of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. Marie Kondo is a Japanese decluttering expert and consultant, a stern taskmaster, and possibly the cutest adult on the planet. Not in the sexual way -- just mind-meltingly cute.

The series will apparently involve her (and her interpreter -- Ms. Kondo does not speak English) intervening in the lives of families displaying the methodology she uses to help people simplify their lives by "seeking joy" and shedding those parts of their lives (particularly possessions) that do not meet that criteria. The idea is that if you don't keep stuff that doesn't make you happy, you'll live a better life. I'm tempted to take the opportunity of the move to go through a process like that, but then again if I shed everything that does not bring me joy I'd have nothing at all.

Watched Season 4 of Lucifer on Netflix. If you liked the first three seasons, it's very much more of the same. They didn't take advantage of the new format to inject more adult content, b/c they wanted to keep it more family friendly. Just added a couple of naked butts here and there. The new addition to the cast this season was very entertaining, hoping they bring her back next season.

In the middle of the second season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. Still pretty decent.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:22 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

Watched Season 4 of Lucifer on Netflix. If you liked the first three seasons, it's very much more of the same. They didn't take advantage of the new format to inject more adult content, b/c they wanted to keep it more family friendly. Just added a couple of naked butts here and there. The new addition to the cast this season was very entertaining, hoping they bring her back next season.

In the middle of the second season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. Still pretty decent.

How can a series where the protagonist is literally Satan possibly make itself family-friendly?

Ghostbusters: The original, which is still a very enjoyable movie. It has a great soundtrack that fits the film beautifully, as well. (Blu-Ray)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: The second installment is notably darker, and certain parts of the plot are problematic, but it's still a pretty good movie. It's probably the closest to the old serials. (Blu-Ray)

Argo: Based on real events, it's the story of a fake Canadian movie production that managed to extract 6 US Embassy employees who had fled to the Canadian ambassador's residence during the Iranian hostage crisis. The movie is extremely well-done. (DVD)

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Argo: Based on real events, it's the story of a fake Canadian movie production that managed to extract 6 US Embassy employees who had fled to the Canadian ambassador's residence during the Iranian hostage crisis. The movie is extremely well-done. (DVD)

The climax of Argo is really, really intense when it comes to ratcheting up tension. It was literally white-knuckle stuff when I saw it in the theater -- and for a film based on actual history that's saying something.

And to its credit, it viewed the Iranians as humans rather than painted devils. Yes, they did terrible, immoral things. Yes, their mindset was almost alien to the Westerners who had to deal with them. Yet their grievances were legitimate even if it led them to do something that still haunts both our countries today, almost 40 years later.

17 hours ago, Spence said:

DS9, my favorite Trek.  It is one of my fall back shows when there is nothing else on.

I agree completely, especially the last two seasons.

In the Pale Moonlight is my favorite episode.

6 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I agree completely, especially the last two seasons.

In the Pale Moonlight is my favorite episode.

Great episode. 

First season suffers from the usual "we don't really know where we are going yet" syndrome of TV first seasons.  But overall, I liked the multiple plot lines.  Especially the season arc ones.  Great show. 

My other fav is Babylon 5 which is also a great show.

Murder in Three Acts: After watching Peter Ustinov in several Poirot mysteries set in the Thirties, this one's a bit strange for me. It's apparently Ustinov playing Poirot, but in the Eighties. The plot is people getting poisoned mysteriously at dinner parties, and is okay but not outstanding. (Netflix DVD)

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The Butcher, by the same guys who did Forged in Fire.  Same basic format: 4 people competing in 3 rounds to elimination and a $10k prize.  But this time its butchers breaking down meat into cuts.  Really interesting to me, but perhaps not for the squeamish

If you like Forged in Fire, check out Man At Arms on Rodriguez's El Rey Network. Hosted by Danny Trejo, one of the major forgers is a guy who has won FIF. They do a lot of explaining on what they are doing and why. They tend to forge historical and famous fantasy weapons. Really cool show.