What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just watched Battlestar Galactica: Razor. Not bad. It restored my faith that the BSG team could actually tell a story that didn't make me root for the cylons. The dogfighting scenes with a young Bill Adama were absolutely the best ever. Wow! Instantly pulled me out of my indecisiveness as it relates to gaming.

I loved how they mixed in stuff from the old show in that sequence.

"The Warriors". Somehow, I'd missed this one for a long time. It came on TCM, and was worth seeing.

JoeG

Walter Hill is one of my all time favorite directors. To me, he has made a trifeca of perfect "B" movies: Hard Times, The Warriors and Crossroads. Streets of Fire isn't bad either when you're in the right mood.

Walter Hill is one of my all time favorite directors. To me' date=' he has made a trifeca of perfect "B" movies: Hard Times, The Warriors and Crossroads. Streets of Fire isn't bad either when you're in the right mood.[/quote']

I've always loved Streets of Fire.

Good music, great cast, pretty cars and a fight with mauls. Whats not to like?

Seraphim Falls. Liam Neeson hunts Pierce Brosnan across the Old West for an old wrong. Very good.

Daywatch. If you liked Nightwatch then you should like this. But you need to have watched Nightwatch in order for this to make sense.

3:10 To Yuma (new version). This was very good. Mr Crowe was very restrained.

I had never seen Watcher in the Woods until last night.

Man, you could've driven a truck through some of those plot holes! Still, decently creepy, and I can see why my sisters liked it so much. I also understand why they didn't let me watch it with them when I was four.

Godzilla Raids Again, the DVD, better known under its American release title of Gigantis, the Fire Monster. Because the American company that relased it didn't want anyone to know it was a Godzilla movie. No, seriously.

About half of the film consists of standard 50's SF stock footage (including what looks like the most utterly ghastly grade school educational film I've ever seen), the dubbed in dialogue is so wooden I wonder why termites didn't eat the script, and most of the film is narrated.

Though the fight scenes between Godzilla and Anguirus were well done, with an especially gruesome finish. And there's a short documentary on 'The Art of Suit Acting' that is very well-done. I liked the bit about a group of fanboys who, back when the American studio was considering re-shooting some footage from the movie (having Godzilla and Anguirus destroy San Francisco rather than Osaka), accidentally discovered the two monster costumes on an unused soundstage, and of course simply had to try the Godzilla costume on. But really, who can blame them?

Let's just say that if you see this film available, don't pay too much for it. But it's still better than the Emmerich Godzilla.

Confessions of a Superhero. I am on a documentary kick right now. This is an oddball film about a group of struggling actors who make money dressing up as superheroes and posing for snapshots with tourists on Hollywood Boulevard. The stars are quirky people, some of them bordering on insanity, but you end up rooting for them. There are some cringe worthy moments where you believe that folks have just gone off the deep end, but the filmaker also takes care to show the human side of his subjects, as well as their eccentricities. The film also boasts some really beautiful photography of iconic L.A. locations.

The woman who dresses as Wonder Woman is stunning, and I would expect her to actually get some more exposure based on her appearance in this film. She resembles Lucy Lawless and fills out her costume nicely. She even seems to be able to act when they show her working with an acting coach as part of her day.

The guy playing Batman is a low-rent George Clooney with serious rage issues, but you get the feeling in the end that he is just another harmless wannabe actor.

Superman has to be seen to be believed. He is so into the whole thing that he publicly ridicules the other guys for smoking in costume because "superheroes don't smoke."

Stan Lee and Moriarty form Ain't It Cool News have cameos as well. All in all, a very interesting look at what people will do to chase a dream.

Josh and I watched Waitress tonight, for the sole reason of catching another Fillion flick. It had an excellent script, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable to watch. The husband was the sort of clingy, needy, not-quite-abusive type I see a lot of women siding with. There were a few things that I could point to so I could say, "Okay, that's wrong," but mostly, he was portrayed with a certain subtlety. I can see his not thinking there was anything wrong with his behavior.

And I really thought another romance subplot was going to wind up with the waitress-in-question's friend married to a guy just like that. I think it was supposed to portray that not every woman ends up with the man her friends would've picked, but that message was diluted when it made it seem like he browbeat her into a relationship through sheer persistence after she turned him down flat. Y'know, sometimes women do know their own minds, and mean "No," when they say "No."

Josh and I watched Waitress tonight, for the sole reason of catching another Fillion flick. It had an excellent script, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable to watch. The husband was the sort of clingy, needy, not-quite-abusive type I see a lot of women siding with. There were a few things that I could point to so I could say, "Okay, that's wrong," but mostly, he was portrayed with a certain subtlety. I can see his not thinking there was anything wrong with his behavior.

And I really thought another romance subplot was going to wind up with the waitress-in-question's friend married to a guy just like that. I think it was supposed to portray that not every woman ends up with the man her friends would've picked, but that message was diluted when it made it seem like he browbeat her into a relationship through sheer persistence after she turned him down flat. Y'know, sometimes women do know their own minds, and mean "No," when they say "No."

I'm curious about something, but I don't want to risk spoiling the movies for anyone, as it's well worth watching. I'll put my question to you in a spoiler tag.

Are you talking about the bad poetry guy who hooks up with the waitress played by the waitress with the horn-rimmed glasses as the second bad guy? I thought he was supposed to more of the plucky, grows-on-you kind of guy. You know the type. He's little odd, but they can be really happy together if things just work out.

That is, indeed, who I'm talking about.

What unsettled me was that, as wimpy as he was, he was behaving in a way that I can see The Husband having behaved to woo Jenna. He completely ignored the woman's protests until she sharply told him off, and he told her that she WOULD marry him, with no concern whatsoever for how she felt about it.

Yeah, that's a common formula in romantic comedy, that the guy wins the girl through sheer persistence. But in a film that seemed more interested in showing the realistic side of love, for that to be included as a good relationship was a slap in the face. So he ignored her wishes repeatedly about how she wasn't interested; how does he react when she says, "Not tonight, hon; I have a headache?" So he won her through persistence; how is that different from the husband's badgering Jenna until she finally slept with him just to shut him up?

I remain unconvinced that there was anything particularly charming about him, and that it was anything but the woman's desperation that put them together. It sets a bad precedent, though, to have him overpower her objections like that. I guess silly wimmens just don't know their own minds, huh?

That is, indeed, who I'm talking about.

What unsettled me was that, as wimpy as he was, he was behaving in a way that I can see The Husband having behaved to woo Jenna. He completely ignored the woman's protests until she sharply told him off, and he told her that she WOULD marry him, with no concern whatsoever for how she felt about it.

Yeah, that's a common formula in romantic comedy, that the guy wins the girl through sheer persistence. But in a film that seemed more interested in showing the realistic side of love, for that to be included as a good relationship was a slap in the face. So he ignored her wishes repeatedly about how she wasn't interested; how does he react when she says, "Not tonight, hon; I have a headache?" So he won her through persistence; how is that different from the husband's badgering Jenna until she finally slept with him just to shut him up?

I remain unconvinced that there was anything particularly charming about him, and that it was anything but the woman's desperation that put them together. It sets a bad precedent, though, to have him overpower her objections like that. I guess silly wimmens just don't know their own minds, huh?

You know, that makes a lot of sense, and I never would have thought about it that way. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm watching the Willy Wonka remake. As a totally different film' date=' I like it.[/quote']

I was pretty uninterested in the movie, even with Tim Burton & Johnny Depp I thougt it would be a flop. I was wrong, I liked it a lot.

I'm re-watching Kolchak, the night stalker, its a great series.