What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The Lost City You won't find much information on this on Wikipedia or IMDB. I believe it is from South Africa. Three modern day people end up in a Roman/Egyptian city that has survived until today. This is pretty awful without being gross or funny.

The Reckoning A businessman goes to Liverpool after his father falls ill. Actually he was beaten up and the businessman finds out who and plots revenge. He is of Irish stock and his kith and kin don't trust the police. There is also the matter of his boss trying to claim credit for his work. This is an early 70s film and is watchable for Nicol Williamson.

Moulin Rouge ! (1952) This is about the life of the painter Henri de Toulouse Lautrec and stars Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor. It is worth a look.

Between Heaven and Hell Robert Wagner is a sergeant busted to private for attacking an officer. He is only saved as he won the Silver Star. He is instead posted to a forward unit commanded by a tyrannical officer. He then proves his worth to his new unit. It is quite a good Pacific war film.

The Flash Season 2 The Flash faces the evil speedster Zoom and meets Jay Garrick the Flash from Earth 2 who has lost his powers. He also meets the Harrison Wells of Earth 2. Barry's dad is released from prison after evidence emerges of Wells admitting to murdering Barry's mother. Wally West is introduced as is King Shark. Cisco becomes Vibe. I would say there is an over reliance on having speed orientated foes. Captain Cold was back. And we meet Killer Frost who is an old Firestorm foe. We also get a new Firestorm pairing. But the Reverse Flash is also back not as Harrison Wells but as Thawne. Interesting.

Lost Girl Season 4 The succubus is missing and no-one recalls her to start off with but the Una Mens who are the Fae Police (I did put Fairy Police but that looked wrong) are in town and are enforcing the Law. We have a guest appearance by George Takei and Ksenia Solo as Kenzi has to do a lot of the heavy lifting in the first episode. Lauren is on the lam in the first episodes although she is being looked for the Una Mens. Bo wakes up on a train between dimensions and jumps off it confronting a ghost before being reunited with some of her friends. Lauren is caught by someone who is revealed to be the Dark Fae and has to work for them. The Morrigan returns after Vex had temporary control. Bo finds out she is of the Dark Fae and works to find out why as well as finding out who was on the train and getting them released. Hale is killed protecting Kenzi who sacrifices herself to close a portal to Hell.

Part of the problem with the series is the writing is a bit drab. The Dark Fae are just a bit pathetic. They are semi-evil,  quasi-evil,  the margarine of evil,  the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

Serenity: I watch this one every once in a while, and it's a solid story that wraps up some of the plot threads that were left dangling from the canceled Firefly series. Amazon had the 4K version on sale for Prime Day, and I decided to upgrade my DVD copy. Sound mix is superb, HDR color grading is probably closer to what I remember when I saw it in the theater. (UHD Blu-Ray)

UI will have to look for IRIS.

Just finished Season 2 of 3 Below on Netflix. I watch animation, and some Kids shows out of professional courtesy. In this case it's a colleague who got a credit as a character designer, of Villains on the show. I think I mentioned the show here before, as when ever the Bounty Hunters arrived on the scene, the sahow went  from Light goofy Kid's show to Violent action movie. (Which I always prefer). Sadly one of my favorite characters on the show wqas killed, but the show came to a fairly satisfactory ending.

2132038196_ZeronAlphaObit.jpg.bdb4692bc07d80c1ab40a32107f46f6c.jpg

Watched a good Period K-Drama on Netflix about a royal house in turmoil after the King becomes ill, and the cure is worse than the disease.

Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse.  It was okay.  Really slow start, and confusing battles at the end.

Evidently in this alternate universe, Wilson Fisk can lift a truck and Doc Ock (ms) is tough as hell and can take repeated spider-strength punches to the face without any particular concern.

Oh, and everyone is as fast as Spidey and can hit him at will.  Even guys like the Prowler.

The Towering Inferno: Irwin Allen-produced disaster pic about "the world's tallest skyscraper" catching fire due to shoddy construction. Amazingly, it still holds up pretty well even now, due to several strong performances and decent special effects. Picture quality is excellent in the Blu-ray version. The Blu-ray's surround mix favors ambient sounds over dialogue, so it's sometimes difficult to make out dialogue without turning up the volume. I ended up keeping my remote handy to ramp the volume up to hear quiet dialogue, and then immediately down to avoid my fillings rattling from the explosions.  (Netflix Blu-ray)

The Strongest Man in History.

Not actually a strong man competition, more of a history and recreation of strong man feats in the past, with four of the strongest men in the world.  These guys are serious hulks, the biggest 6'8, 445 pounds.  They show the limits of human ability and strength and what it costs to be that way, plus interesting historical bits.