What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Unit 42 – A French police procedural.  I liked it, though it took me a little to catch the rhythm of a French production.   

Another Life – A NETFLIX Scifi show.  Not too bad, not spectacular but definitely worth watching at least once.

Close – A NETFLIX movie.  Another “burned out bodyguard protects a spoiled rich girl” show.  Not bad, but not original.

Descendants of the Sun – K-Drama.  An adventure/romance between Spec Ops Captain and a civilian Doctor.  I normally don’t like romances any more, but K-Drama is different enough for me to enjoy the series.  I am 6 episodes in and plan to finish it. 

Tower Heist: A group plans a break-in to get back the money that they and their friends lost to a Ponzi-scheme run by a Bernie Madoff-type. Enjoyable heist comedy. (Netflix Blu-ray)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: One of my favorite Trek films, the plot heavily echoes the then-current events surrounding the end of the Cold War (Amazon Prime)

Frozen: One of the better recent productions from the House of Mouse, this one is loosely based upon the public-domain Hans Christian Andersen story, The Snow Queen (Digital streaming)

Veronica Mars: I had missed this one the first time around, and finally made my way through the original 3 seasons plus the new 4th season over the last month or so. Very good, though it's emotionally difficult in many places. (Hulu)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw "Guardians" on Amazon PRime. It's a Russian MCU styled  Superhero movie,  about a cold war era group opf Superheroes, called back into action to fight one of their creators, turned Supervillain. The powers are  interesting, in that the Supervillain has Mental domination, only versus machines, pus something around 60 str. 

Here are the fight scenes

Four Heroes, and most of the Champions Archetypes are there. The Dub is pretty awful, but I have not found it subtitled in it's original Russian.  Nut the visual are quite epic, and fulfill my MCU Fix.

The Boys: A messy, violent ride. Waiting for Season 2, which is in production. (Amazon Prime)

Aquaman: Blends a Raiders/National Treasure hunt for a magical trident with a war for control of Atlantis. Better than Justice League. (Netflix Blu-ray)

Lady and the Tramp: Disney classic about a pup from the wrong side of the tracks who meets a very proper pooch. (Blu-ray)

On 7/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, Pariah said:

The City On the Egde of Forever. Arguably the best episode of the original series, and certainly one of the most powerful. I suppose that every sci-fi series eventually addresses the issue of "one (or few) must die if many are to live", but few do it in as heart-wrenching a fashion as this episode did.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Spence said:

One of the best.  My favorite is Balance of Terror.  I won't go as far as saying it is the best of TOS, but it is still my favorite. 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

My go to, is The Doomsday Machine. 

Donu, Donut, chocolate donut,

Add Devil in the Dark and that's the tetrarchy for me, which was perhaps the series' first meaningful episode based on encounter with totally nonhuman entities, another theme I wish they had visited more.

Airplane II: The Sequel: The first movie was written and directed by the team of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, and Jerry Zucker, and was a comedy gem. Paramount decided to bypass them for the sequel, however, and instead turned to Ken Finkelman, who had just helmed Grease 2, to write and direct. The result is underwhelming. (Hulu)

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

The Saint.

Holy GOD did that thing suck!

I haven't disliked a been more bored with a "thriller" since-- _ever_.  I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, then the credits rolled.  Damn that was a crap movie!  Why was it so popular?!   

Which one? There's been like thirty of them and 2 tv shows

CES

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Sorry.  Didn't know that.  

This was a movie; it had Val Kilmer and Elisabeth Shue. 

And it was just _terrible_. 

oh, the one about the free energy and Russia. I saw it years ago. Disguises and working for hire was not Simon Templar's usual way of doing things, so that was kind of odd for the set up just starting off. And they threw away the Robin Hood aspect of his character too. At least they kept the police foil for half of the movie

CES

Shazam!: DC makes a movie that's not dark and broody, and is genuinely enjoyable. (Netflix Blu-ray)

Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame: A mostly-satisfying ending to the first 10 years of the MCU. While I've seen both movies in the theater, they look and sound great in 4K and Dolby Atmos on my home setup. (4K Blu-ray)

Been binging this since yesterday:
https://www.netflix.com/title/81026915

Better Than Us, is a Russian Netflix Series, set in a few years int he future, where Robots are ubiquitous, To the point of the Government trying to lower the retirement age to 50-55, as Unemployment is rising. It's a slick, well directed, and well written series that doesn't follow the cliche's and all the characters except the lead 'bot are magnificently flawed. The director(s] manage the "bot" actors well, making made up human actors, step into the Uncanny Valley with waders on. On Episode 6, of 10.  Russian with Englis Subtitles.

Thor: The Dark World.  Nothing like a long plane trip to catch up on your MCU backlog.  You know, this wasn't among the best of the MCU films, but it wasn't bad.  I'm not sure why it gets as much hate as it does.  Are we now hopelessly spoiled by the likes of Endgame and Dr. Strange?

The Dark World is one of the best. It is gritty, a young prince finding his place is the realm, a war film, and a film where the stakes are higher than Infinity War. And we have the buddy road trip with Loki. 

It is Wonder Woman before Wonder Woman, and if only Patty Jenkins directed it. #sigh