What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The Princess and the Frog: Disney's retelling of the classic tale, set against a backdrop of New Orleans. Worth a watch. (Netflix)

Holey Moley (Season 1): ABC's series about extreme miniature golf, complete with Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle in ABC Sports jackets giving commentary. I so want this to get a second season. (ABC via Hulu)

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

Thor: The Dark World.  Nothing like a long plane trip to catch up on your MCU backlog.  You know, this wasn't among the best of the MCU films, but it wasn't bad.  I'm not sure why it gets as much hate as it does.  Are we now hopelessly spoiled by the likes of Endgame and Dr. Strange?

Thor is my favorite comic-book superhero, but I found this film underwhelming. The lead villain is a cardboard cutout -- almost no motivation, and even less personality. The humor seems very forced, particularly around Eric Selvig, although Darcy also annoyed me. Thor in this movie is almost all reactive, to the actions of his parents, his brother, his lover, and the antagonist. I didn't get a sense of much advancement of his character -- he was the noble hero throughout.

As always, YMMV.

19 hours ago, Old Man said:

Thor: The Dark World.  Nothing like a long plane trip to catch up on your MCU backlog.  You know, this wasn't among the best of the MCU films, but it wasn't bad.  I'm not sure why it gets as much hate as it does.  Are we now hopelessly spoiled by the likes of Endgame and Dr. Strange?

I liked it for what it was, a popcorn movie.

I didn't like the powdered Infinity Stone being stuck inside Jane Foster, especially since they established later that a regular person just touching one would kill her.

Not a big fan of dark elves as villains in the first place. But then they put masks on them all so they could use the same extras over and over in various scenes rather than putting actors in makeup. For the budget they had, they should have shown us more villains than you'd see in a low-budget fantasy TV show.

The lead villain wasn't memorable and had no memorable lines. His chief enforcer either was mute or his lines even more forgettable than the lead villain.

I'm not a big fan of "Asgard is just super-science" to start with. I'd much rather them show Asgardian magic with flying chariots and flying boats than see a lot of high tech blasters and scooters.

2 hours ago, archer said:

I'm not a big fan of "Asgard is just super-science" to start with. I'd much rather them show Asgardian magic with flying chariots and flying boats than see a lot of high tech blasters and scooters.

With you there. The golden pseudo-Viking flying longships the Asgardians used I could get behind, but the turret canons defending the city didn't seem to have the same Kirby-fied mythic feel as the rest of Asgard. At least they could have made them look like crossbows; or maybe giant horns that blew destructive sound blasts. Or how about animating some of those gigantic statues shown around the city to fight the invaders?

20 hours ago, archer said:

I didn't like the powdered Infinity Stone being stuck inside Jane Foster, especially since they established later that a regular person just touching one would kill her.

"It's not a stone, it's more of an angry sludge." (Thor)

I kind of took it as the stone's mercurial nature (and form) allowing it to rewrite its own reality as it goes. Since Jane was the first being it had encountered in a very long time, it decided to hitch a ride to find something more interesting to do. A little like the Ring and Smeagol, I suppose.

I haven't seen this, and I won't, but the NY Times tells me a movie adaptation just came out of The Banana Splits. The kid's show from around 1970, not the dessert. Only-- get this -- it's edgy! The four figures in the funny animal costumes go on a murderous rampage!

The Times notes: Who is the intended audience for this film? No one under 50 or so is likely to have heard of the original show; and I would like to think that no one over 30 still thinks it's original and "edgy" to take kid-vid and add homicide. (Though I'm likely to be disappointed there.)

Dean Shomshak

I haven't seen this, and I won't, but the NY Times tells me a movie adaptation just came out of The Banana Splits. The kid's show from around 1970, not the dessert. Only-- get this -- it's edgy! The four figures in the funny animal costumes go on a murderous rampage!

The Times notes: Who is the intended audience for this film? No one under 50 or so is likely to have heard of the original show; and I would like to think that no one over 30 still thinks it's original and "edgy" to take kid-vid and add homicide. (Though I'm likely to be disappointed there.)

Dean Shomshak

went and saw Angel has Fallen, which is exactly the movie you think it is. Figured out the villains within 5 minutes of them being on screen, including motivation. But to be fair, Butler's character figured them out pretty quickly too.

What I wanted to mention was, they apparently did a remake of Midway (one of the greatest war movies ever), so my question is WHY?. Just rerelease the original.

4 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Dean Shomshak

Rumor has it that the original script was meant for a "Five Nights at Freddy's" movie, but WB lost the rights and retooled it.

53 minutes ago, slikmar said:

What I wanted to mention was, they apparently did a remake of Midway (one of the greatest war movies ever), so my question is WHY?. Just rerelease the original.

That would be a great movie to see on the big screen. To be honest, there are a lot of old movies, many of them black and white, that I'd love to see on the big screen. Maltese Falcon being chief among them.

Midway uses a lot of real footage from that and other air/sea battles. The problem is that they are of smealler resolution and significantly granier thant he rest of the film. It's still a good movie, but running it through the cinematic equivalent of Photoshop would do it some good. Sometimes true verisimilitude can be disconcerting.

I'm like to see the controversial Japanese film The Eternal Zero, in which a Zero pilot who survives multiple defeats is accused of cowardice almost every time because he "doesn't want to die". It was accused of glorifying the IJN (which is taboo, but not as taboo as it once was) and was roundly condemned by such figures as Hayao Miyazaki (who called it a "lie" in an editorial).. Space Battleship Yamato was similarly condemned in its day, and don't get me started on KanCollie.

17 hours ago, Pariah said:

That would be a great movie to see on the big screen. To be honest, there are a lot of old movies, many of them black and white, that I'd love to see on the big screen. Maltese Falcon being chief among them.

I would recommend checking out Fathom Events. Thanks to them, I have seen some of Miyazaki's anime on big screen, Casablanca. They run a lot of old movies back on big screens in events.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

I would recommend checking out Fathom Events. Thanks to them, I have seen some of Miyazaki's anime on big screen, Casablanca. They run a lot of old movies back on big screens in events.

Next one up on Sept 1 and 4 is Lawrence of Arabia

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2019-lawrence-of-arabia-1962

We saw My Neighbor Totoro on Sunday as part of the Studio Ghibli Fest, and are looking forward to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest

On 8/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, slikmar said:

They did?  I have heard absolutely zero on this.  Was it direct to video?

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Next one up on Sept 1 and 4 is Lawrence of Arabia

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2019-lawrence-of-arabia-1962

We saw My Neighbor Totoro on Sunday as part of the Studio Ghibli Fest, and are looking forward to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest

I have seen both on big screens, and advise you to make the time. Seeing Totoro on the big screen was on my bucket list, and the experience did not disappoint. Better, my mother was with me and she was enraptured by it.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

Well, given there was a preview when I went to the movies, gonna say no.

It is becoming more common for movies to get short theatrical runs at the same time as they premiere on Netflix. This usually results in the films being declared ineligible for awards in Hollywood or to be screened at Cannes. Yes, if you make a movie for Netflix Cannes will forbid you from screening it, regardless of quality of subject matter.

It's deisgned to protect theater owners and chains, but isn't exactly fair to the creators of the film -- especially if it's really, really good and would qualify otherwise.