What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The last couple weeks or so the Charge network (?) has been showing Walker Texas Ranger episodes more or less all weekday evenings from 6 to after I go to bed.

After the first couple, I don't watch the whole thing.  I sit in my chair doing other stuff, and if I happen to notice it's quarter til or so,  then pop the TV on, and watch Chuck Norris beat up one or more guys for a few minutes in the climax sequence, then turn it back off.  Yeah, this is like eating the frosting off the cupcake and leaving the cake part behind.  Big deal. When Chuck Norris shows up at my house to beat me up for it, then I'll do the contrition thing.

Binged the new Netflix “The DARK Crystal “ series. Very lush world building. Good puppetry, and an exacting sense of design that is an almost seamless match for the 1982 movie. It’s a prequel to the movie; but I am expecting two or three seasons. Surprising to me is in this day and age how careful the script is with character motivations. 

The Black Hole: Disney's 1979 attempt at making a Sci-Fi film after the success of Star Wars. The result's a brooding film with interesting visuals, and a strange sequence that feels like it was taken out of Dante's Divine Comedy by way of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie has recently been released on Blu-ray for the first time (exclusively through the Disney Movie Club), and the picture and sound are much improved over the older DVD release. It's one of the last movies to receive an overture, and that is preserved on the Blu-ray release. (Blu-ray)

Movies from last year's eruption in Hawaii.

Go here

Download "Movie S1" and "Movie S2".  S1 has sound; S2 is silent, but is probably scarier.  S2 was assembled from images from an automatic camera.  I find myself wishing that they had had a camera that was on the old caldera floor and was lost, and assembled another movie from that.

You could use these in an RPG, I imagine.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:55 AM, Duke Bushido said:

Pam Ayres clip snipped

That comes from 2005. Now you are making me feel old. For 30 years previously she appeared on Opportunity Knocks which was a talent programme on ITV and I remember seeing that with my grandparents and I recall seeing her on it.

They guy who ran it, Hughie Green, well there was a man with an interesting backstory. But that is for another thread

3 hours ago, mattingly said:

Have you seen the series? It's different, but also a lot of fun.

I have, and it's not unenjoyable-- it's reminiscent of some of the 80s prime-time stuff, in its scripting, really-- but (and I realize it was done primarily to institute dialogue and to water-down the idea that on all the earth there was at least _one_ person so knowledgeable) I found the need for multiple "Librarians" to kind of weaken the premise; the idea lost something.  Still good fun, but not as, if you catch my meaning there.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

That comes from 2005. Now you are making me feel old. For 30 years previously she appeared on Opportunity Knocks which was a talent programme on ITV and I remember seeing that with my grandparents and I recall seeing her on it.

They guy who ran it, Hughie Green, well there was a man with an interesting backstory. But that is for another thread

I just stumbled across it shortly before posting it here.  I watched a few other bits of hers, and laughed myself to tears.  She's quite talented.

Five Golden Dragons Set in Hong Kong the dragons of the title are criminals who run the gold trade in the Far East. Four of them are played by well known faces who are cameoing as they have come in to meet the 5th who is resident in Hong Kong. Dan Duryea, Christopher Lee, George Raft and Brian Donlevy are the guest dragons. Bob Cummings is the nominal star. But he is not that good.

Cell This is the film version of Stephen King's book of the same name When mobile phones pick up a pulse it turns people into homicidal loonies akin to zombies but able to broadcast some sort of signal at night. John Cusack stars and Samuel L Jackson guest stars. Not a bad King adaptation.

Animal Park The BBC are back at Longleat with Ben Fogle and Kate Humble for three weeks of programmes looking at the safari park and its animals. They had sadness with the death of one of the Koalas who had only been in the park for 6 months and one of the tigers suffering fatal wounds after it got into an enclosure with a different breed of tiger. They also had the giddy pleasure of the first Tiger cubs born in the park in well over a decade to the park's Amur Tigers. Want to see a porcupine and a skunk interact ? You've come to the right place. Although the skunk got quills for his pains.

Arabian Adventure Oliver Tobias is a prince hoping to woo Emma Samms. But he must undergo a quest for evil caliph Christopher Lee to prove his worth. Peter Cushing, Shame Rimmer, John Ratzenberger, Mickey Rooney and Milo O'Shea are also in the cast. It is fun. Not as good as Golden Voyage of Sinbad but what is ?

Supergirl Season 3 I liked this. First we get Morgan Edge as nasty industrialist with a good bit of foreshadowing for Reign. We get a new actress playing mummy to Kara and the Manhunter's dad is alive on Mars so is brought to Earth. And we get the Legion of Superheroes. Mon El is back and married to Saturn Girl. (Obviously this is wrong her hubby is Lightning Lad). Saturn Girl is also not blonde. And Brianiac 5 is blue and not green. We have the Crisis on Earth X crossover which I have seen 2 episodes of. But liked despite this. Yet again they link previous Superman films/series with Sarah Douglas in the cast which was a treat. And Supergirl is reunited with her Mum.

There really was not enough for Winn to do or so I felt so it was not a surprise to see him leave at the end of the season.

Vuelta a Espana 2019 The last Grand Tour of the season is the youngest of the three. A lot of the big name riders were not here except for Valverde and Quintana for Movistar and the latter was leaving the team at the end of the season. One of the other favourites was Primoz Roglic of Jumbo Visma. He ended up the winner but for the first few stages it was Miguel Angel Lopez who was leading or losing the Red Jersey one day to win it back the next. This changed after the individual Time Trial which Roglic won and then held onto the Red Jersey until the end of the race despite any attacks made on his lead. The battle for second through fifth was where the action really took place and Movistar really could not decide what to do and how to do it. This was a theme throughout the race. Quintana was the Red Jersey the stage before the individual time trial but Valverde was the main contender after that. Quintana looked finished until stage 17 when he got into a big breakaway and ended up taking five minutes back and going into second place. The other major battle was between Lopez and Tadej Pogacar for the White Jersey as young rider and position of the podium. Pogacar ended up winning three stages and the White Jersey outright. He is someone to watch as he is only 20. Pogacar ended up as third overall with Valverde second. Despite the fact that I only get to see an hour's highlights each day it is still entertaining. And it was nice to see Toledo, the original Spanish capitol, again. Several other favourites got knocked out due to crashes or minor illnesses although one pulled out for the World Road Race which is coming later this year. One of Roglic's team mates Sepp Kuss won a stage and was hand slapping the crowd as he approached the finish line. And I mention this as he is American. There were no British riders inning any stages this year. Team Ineos (ex Team Sky) were not really a threat