What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Went to see Rambo: Last Blood. Has all the Ramboness you would expect. I never saw any past the first 2, so some of the history alluded to I don't know. And I know that part of the staples of these movies are a political statement. Having said that, this movie is plain depressing after the first 30 or so minutes. Will spoil for those who still plan to see why:

The young girl who is now a senior in high school waiting to go to college is betrayed by her friend when she goes to see her real father, who is a total bastard. She gets sold to a cartel to become a whore in one of their houses. Rambo goes to save her, gets jumped by 20 guys effectively, cut by one of the 2 brother leaders and told that because he came they would cut the girl and make an example of her. Rambo spends 4 days recuperating at a woman who is tracking the gangs home while the gang begin pumping heroine into the niece. Of course, John shows up, rescues her, puts her in his truck and begins driving her home (knowing she has been given multiple shots of heroine but apparently not trusting a hospital in the town run by these guys). She DIES on the way to the border as he is explaining to her that she is the reason he was able to put so much of the darkness behind him. He gets her home by driving through the border barb wire, they bury her and then Ramboness violence descends on the Cartel Brothers.

I always seem to screw up the spoiler tags the first time I do something and don't know how to remove it.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:40 PM, Bazza said:

Anne Of Green Gables (1985) Part 1. 

Reminds me of Secondhand Lions. Anne would surely be at home with Garth & Hub. The three of them would get up to so much mischief, it would be a joy. 

Finished Part 2. 

I watched episodes of the Akashic Records of the Bastard Magic Instructor and Death March across the parrallel world Rhapsody. One has a magic school with a new teacher, a hidden princess, and an organization that wants to ruin the empire. THe other has a game programmer being summoned to his game world and saving the day without revealing what he can do. The harem of slave girls are helpful, but he only has his heart set on the female soldier he has to leave behind

CES

On 10/3/2019 at 8:46 AM, Grailknight said:

Death March was too much of a loli-fest for me. Even though it is completely innocent, the potential is played up too much.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, csyphrett said:

I have to agree there

CES

I've seen worse.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will leave anime anytime soon.

I finished up Mr. Robot in time for tonight's premier.

I forgot how amazing S03E05 is -- the entire episode is a single shot. It wasn't actually an incredible 43-minute take; there are some very cleverly hidden editing cuts, but it flows so seamlessly that it looks like it never stops. Here are the first 6 minutes, going up until the title sequence.

It also namedrops a friend of mine -- Dave Kennedy. The show had already used his software a few times.

I'm picking up with my second Deep Space 9 rewatch of the year, and just watched S06E22 "Tears of the Prophets" again.

It's my favorite of any Trek season finale. There's so much that happens:

• Sisko leads the wartime fleet
  • Worf and Dax plan a family
  • Dukat returns and causes tremendous mischief
  • Starfleet liberates Cardassia
  • The surprising turn of events with Dax
  • Dumar and Weyoun discuss gods
  • The Prophets are cut off from Bajor, maybe even dead
  • The wormhole closes, possibly for good
  • SIsko leaves DS9, possibly for good

It was a heck of a way to leave us all waiting for six months until the final season.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: A middling story about breaking a curse is the backbone of this fifth installment of the PotC franchise. It has its moments, but is definitely not the strongest in the series. (Blu-ray)

Spider-Man: Far from Home: Peter and his class go on a European "science" trip. I enjoyed the move quite a bit. (4K Blu-ray)

Futureworld: The Delos robots have a Plan in this sequel to Westworld. This one didn't have Michael Crichton's writing or directing, and has some very strange moments (like the dream sequence). More of a nostalgic watch for me. As an aside, the movie starts off with a guy winning a trip to Delos and being presented with a large check with the date of June 20, 1985 printed on it. Later in the movie, it's mentioned that the "troubles" shown in the movie, Westworld, was two years before. (Amazon Prime Video)

32 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Except for Lizard-girl all the members of his party are loli's. The 11-yr old is the worst tho.

The golem and Lu Lu are on the edge of looking like adults, but the dog and cat are little kids, the eleven year old is a witch and young looking as crap. The elf that's fifty but looks like ten. And Liza the Lizard Girl who seems to be an adult and Level 6 which is higher than some of the soldiers but not the vets we see.

And except for the elf and the golem they are all slaves so that gets a little grating too

CES 

Watched Storks with the boy. Storks have given up delivering kids to deliver packages. They have a human mad scientist who was a baby that grew up in their factory and assigned to the closed mail room. When a letter comes in for a baby, she puts the letter into the baby making machine. Hijinks  ensue as the mad scientist and the stork getting ready to be promoted have to deliver the baby before the boss finds out and the stork gets fired.

Key and Peele steal the scenes they are in as crazy wolves. Form of a Wolf Submarine

CES  

Rambo: Last Blood.  Reasonably well acted.  Quite badly written.  Extraordinarily predictable.  Barely over an hour long.  Don't spend money to see it.

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix).  Only watched the first episode but I was pleasantly surprised.  Wish this had been around immediately after the movie.  Good for kids, though perhaps not really little kids since Skeksis are still really disturbing.  It's amazing that there are more actual Muppets than CGI in 2019 A.D. (though there are plenty of both).

Just finished watching Game of Thrones. It took me about five months to go through the DVDs.

I (and my gf) are probably the only people on the planet who have no problem with the way season 8 ended. I have my theories as to why that is...

Again, the problem is not the circumstances of the ending.  Although:

1.  If The Unsullied were all leaving, then why would Jon still have to go into exile?

2.  As soon as Sansa declared independence then most of the other leaders would have immediately done the same in that meeting.  Nonsensical. 

The problem is with the rushed plotting and pacing of the last two seasons.

1. I think the problem with Jon, née Aegon, was that being a Targaryon meant there would always be a chance that some faction would try to push him onto the throne as its "true heir", not buying into Tyrion's new concept of a Republic. The safest place for him is in the "real North", where he seems to feel the most comfortable anyway.

2. The other leaders probably understood the benefits of a unified Westeros, with only the northern lords being stubbornly beholden to old, outdated attitudes.

I agree though that the seventh and eighth seasons were too short, and the unfolding story felt rushed as a result.