What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

This year's season of Battlebots was pretty intense. Although a number of teams went to China to compete in a different show's contest, they still had most of their stars and a few new faces too. Some newcomers made a grand entrance, some sputtered. A few of them were utterly wrecked. I attended events almost twenty years ago and the amount of damage these machines produce has increased dramatically...very few of the machines I remember from back then still compete and few of them are still effective. I'm not sure if they are still going to be replayed on TV, but youtube has plenty of content.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins: Movie adaptation of The Destroyer series of novels. It's marred by a slow plot, and ultimately, the movie Adventure Ended. (Netflix DVD)

What's Up, Doc? A screwball romantic comedy starring Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand, in the style of Bring Up Baby and other comedies from the 1930s. The movie holds up remarkably well, and it's a lot of fun to watch. Highly recommended. (Netflix Blu-ray)

Zombieland 2: pretty much more of the same as the first movie. Some really fun cameos in it. If you liked the first one, go see this one.

I really like the Remo movie, especially after reading the books. I wish they had a chance to continue it. Wouldn't mind seeing it done as a series, although finding someone like Joel Gray, who embodied Chun, will be tough. And I am a fan of Wilford Brimley in everything. He has, IMHO, one of the best movie stealing scenes in a film he appears for a total of about 20 minutes in Absence of Malice.

House 2: The Second Story: The plot involves a crystal skull, an extra-dimensional Aztec temple, and a bunch of baddies who want to grab the treasure (whip and fedora not included). More fantasy than horror this time. (Amazon Prime)

Clue: Cult classic movie based upon the board game of the same name. I've apparently memorized the dialogue from watching it too much. (DVD)

On 10/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, Ternaugh said:

What's Up, Doc? A screwball romantic comedy starring Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand, in the style of Bring Up Baby and other comedies from the 1930s. The movie holds up remarkably well, and it's a lot of fun to watch. Highly recommended. (Netflix Blu-ray)

What's Up, Doc? also has one of the greatest in-jokes in cinematic history;

Streisand: Love means never having to say you're sorry.

O'Neal: That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Pre-Crisis Arrowverse watch list. 

In an effort to try to get up to date with Arrowverse since I last left it, before Crisis of Infinite Worlds crossover starts. 

Previous seasons

Arrow: Up to Season 7 Episode 1 

The Flash: Up to Season 5 Episode 9 (the first chapter of Elseworlds).
Legends: Up to date. 

Supergirl: Season 3 Episode 15 (so way behind here. originally stopped watching due to the silliness of the Reign storyline).   

Venom and Shazam!

They were both fine. Like Aquaman, they were decent without being particularly remarkable (apart from vfx). But both movies presented problematic main characters for me.

Venom was never a character I was into, especially since he feels more like a villain than a hero to me. It seemed to me that this was a bit of a take on the Angel/Angelus duality from BtVS, but that only really worked because Whedon had a lot to say about relationships with the dynamic between Angel and Buffy. That's completely missing from Venom, of course, and instead we're expected to be vicariously thrilled riding along with Eddie's experience. I guess Eddie's experience just wasn't something I found fun or thrilling.

As for Shazam!, well, I still think Zachary Levi was miscast as the Big Red Cheese, and the muscle suits looked ridiculous. I get the whole riff on Big idea, but that aspect of it didn't quite work for me. I never read any of the Fawcett Captain Marvel comic books, but I have to seriously wonder if Capt. Marvel acted like a douchebag teenager when in his superhero form. I doubt it since Billy Batson would not have acted like that even in his kid form back then. I think it is a sad commentary on how we accept "typical kid behavior" these days that this movie's depiction of Billy Batson feels "appropriate for the times". The whole learning-to-be-a-hero (translation: learning to be a decent human being) trope has just become tedious at this point.

The trend in recent superhero movies and television shows makes me think that the audience may have reached saturation point with dark and angst-ridden supers. I sense a shift in preference toward entertainments that are more positive, exciting, and fun. That's also been common in the past during periods when real-world events become increasingly depressing.

4 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Maybe, but the Joker just passed Deadpool for R-rated comic book movie sales.  That's a fairly dark movie.

Meh, they made a movie and hung the name Joker on it. 

But beyond the name it can only be very very loosely connected with the comic.

Of course many of the so called comics these days are only loosely connected to their actual characters and stories by a name so I guess people can consider Joker to be a "live action comic movie" too.   

2 minutes ago, Spence said:

But beyond the name it can only be very very loosely connected with the comic.

Which actually helps my point.  I did incredibly well right out of the gate.  People flocked to it knowing only that it was a dark, gritty movie with Joker in it.

58 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Which actually helps my point.  I did incredibly well right out of the gate.  People flocked to it knowing only that it was a dark, gritty movie with Joker in it.

Oh, I was not denying your point. 

I was just making commentary on the subject.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:51 PM, Bazza said:

Pre-Crisis Arrowverse watch list. 

In an effort to try to get up to date with Arrowverse since I last left it, before Crisis of Infinite Worlds crossover starts. 

Previous seasons

Arrow: Up to Season 7 Episode 1 

The Flash: Up to Season 5 Episode 9 (the first chapter of Elseworlds).
Legends: Up to date. 

Supergirl: Season 3 Episode 15 (so way behind here. originally stopped watching due to the silliness of the Reign storyline).   

Update: Supergirl up to Elseworlds crossover episode. Arrow up to season 7 episode 6. 

5 hours ago, Spence said:

Exactly. They could have made the exact same movie without any DC references in it and it would not have done 1% of the box office business that it has, because at the end of the day it isn't the story that is drawing people to the theaters. It is only by putting a thin vernier of the Batman mythos on it that this Taxi Driver meets Cuckoos Nest meets King of Comedy mashup gets any attention (or box office) at all. 

A version of the Tell Tale Heart where the murderer, Edgar Marsh, falls for a girl who moved in across the street. When he sees the girl and his best friend making the beast with two backs, he kills the friend and buries him under the floorboards in his study. Eventually the girl gets the police to come around to ask some questions and Edgar snaps and gets killed.

Also watched the end of the Devil's Nightmare where a priest signs away his soul to save six other people who have been killed only to have them die in a bus accident while he is left with the succubus who started it all

CES