What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Okay, saw Underdog on DVD....

Cute movie, much better than I expected, and a lot more true to the material than the trailers would indicate. One a scale of one to ten, I'd give it a 7.6, but then I'm a dog lover and a bit of a dork ;)

I kind of liked it as well, and I'd be happy to watch it with my nieces and nephews. Simon Bar Sinister with the powers he'd gained by the end of the movie would make a pretty good Champions villain, especially with his pack of Super Shepards.

Josh and I got Captain Blood from Blockbuster Online last night' date=' so we watched it. Classic buckling of swashes. Josh remarked about ¾ of the way through that he wouldn't mind running a mini campaign with pirates.[/quote']

Strangely enough, the players in my FH game have become pirates and we're going to see some classic pirate movies (Douglas Fairbanks in the The Black Pirate and Errol Flynn in Captain Blood) at the cinema this week :)

cheers, Mark

Strangely enough, the players in my FH game have become pirates and we're going to see some classic pirate movies (Douglas Fairbanks in the The Black Pirate and Errol Flynn in Captain Blood) at the cinema this week :)

cheers, Mark

Excellent choices. ^ v ^

I find myself understanding why Flynn was so popular, in his time. He always plays the charmer with a sense of humor. I'm still trying to puzzle out, though, whether the accent is sexy because it's his, or he's made sexier by having the accent.

It doesn't sound Australian at all, oddly enough. Is there a voice school in Australia for how to sound British or American? Or do some Australian accents sound more British?

Smoking Aces - not bad, but aside from the style there's not much too it. The best scene was when:

Nestor Carbonell as the Mexican assassin murders Matthew Fox the hotel security chief in the security room - we've been told that this guy is brutal and a monster, but he treats the man he is killing with so much love and respect, trying to make his final moments as comfortable and gentle as possible.

Also amusing when Ben Affleck, who you have been led to believe is one of the main characters in the movie, gets shot and killed in a parking lot. Very nice bait and switch.

Last night I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It stars Brad Pitt as Jesse James and Casey Affleck as Robert Ford.

First the warnings: It's over 2 and a half hours. It's not an action flick--in fact I think there's one gun fight and Jesse isn't in it (though there's plenty of people bing shot--just no big action scenes).

The cinematrography is beautiful. There are sequences that I rewound just to watch the scenery again, like when the bandits are in the woods and the train is coming by and it creates this light pattern across them as it rolls.

It could have been much shorter. This struck me as a film by a young director who couldn't bring himself to cut anything out. It's produced in part by Pitt and Ridley Scott. Not sure what "in part" means, except that's what it said on the box.

I hear people pick on Pitt's acting in general, but I love his work in 12 Monkeys. His Jesse James comes across more like a paranoid version of Tyler Durden. I'm not sure I bought the phrases coming out of his mouth as being anything more than a script. I mean, some people can just "own" a speach done with an old-west style. Pitt... not so much.

By contrast, Casey Affleck as a cowardly, hero-worshipping, downtrodden wannabe who is stomped on by friends and family is extremely good. There's not a single glimpse of his very sure and forthright character from last year's Gone Baby Gone.

I'm one of those people who squirms in their seat if they have to sit through a movie over two hours. So it's fortunate for me that I actually had to interrupt my viewing mid-way; it kept it fresh for me.

Excellent choices. ^ v ^

I find myself understanding why Flynn was so popular, in his time. He always plays the charmer with a sense of humor. I'm still trying to puzzle out, though, whether the accent is sexy because it's his, or he's made sexier by having the accent.

It doesn't sound Australian at all, oddly enough. Is there a voice school in Australia for how to sound British or American? Or do some Australian accents sound more British?

The old-school 'proper' Australian accent (the one newsreel narrators used to use etc) was very British-sounding.

And the American accent is copied relatively easily because we get so much American media (film, TV, music).

I'm sure there was a documentary on TV recently about where our accent came from too...

Saw the recent remake of "3:10 To Yuma" yesterday. Nice to see that not everyone was armed with the traditional Colt Peacemaker. Enjoyed the film and particularly Russell Crowe's interpretation of the bad guy. I had a couple of quibbles with a couple of scenes (the hero moves too fast for a man with a wooden lower leg at times for example, also the reloading of his pistol at one point is just plain WRONG, you can't just open the loading gate of a Colt and shake out the cartridges after it has been fired !)

The old-school 'proper' Australian accent (the one newsreel narrators used to use etc) was very British-sounding.

And the American accent is copied relatively easily because we get so much American media (film, TV, music).

I'm sure there was a documentary on TV recently about where our accent came from too...

I had an Australian correspondent once who considered 'Strine a "lazy" way of talking. Personally I didn't have a problem with it. She was also an avid cricket fan who once sent me a brand-new ball -- I'm kind of sorry I lost track of it.

just started watching Pan's Labyrinth.

It's a crazy, gorgeous film, and I can see its positive influence on the second Hellboy movie, but I don't think I'll be able to watch it for at least a few years. There are a few movies like this, that I'm glad I watched, and can even be among my "favorite" films, but that I cannot rewatch for whatever reason.

The ending is just too ambivalent, too extreme in the two possibilities. I do think I'll be able to rewatch it at some point, though, unlike "Grave of the Fireflies". I am glad I watched that once, and I think any student of WW2 should watch it (along with Schindler's List), but I doubt I will ever watch it again. Just too heart wrenching.

It's a crazy, gorgeous film, and I can see its positive influence on the second Hellboy movie, but I don't think I'll be able to watch it for at least a few years. There are a few movies like this, that I'm glad I watched, and can even be among my "favorite" films, but that I cannot rewatch for whatever reason.

The ending is just too ambivalent, too extreme in the two possibilities. I do think I'll be able to rewatch it at some point, though, unlike "Grave of the Fireflies". I am glad I watched that once, and I think any student of WW2 should watch it (along with Schindler's List), but I doubt I will ever watch it again. Just too heart wrenching.

As much as I can see the "ambiguous" interpretation, there were several clues throughout the film that the fairy world was real, and open only to those with eyes to see. That was the very last line in the film, after all. There are several events that are made downright impossible without the existence of magic, among them Ofelia getting past a locked door with a guard to get into her stepfather's office.

There was some deliberate ambiguity in the ending, but that was because the director deliberately crafted it so that only those willing to see the "happy ending" would see it, much as the characters in the film missed out, as well, because they were blinded to that world.

The saddest part, for me, was that the others didn't get to come with her, and had to stay in the ugly, violent world above.

As much as I can see the "ambiguous" interpretation, there were several clues throughout the film that the fairy world was real, and open only to those with eyes to see. That was the very last line in the film, after all. There are several events that are made downright impossible without the existence of magic, among them Ofelia getting past a locked door with a guard to get into her stepfather's office.

There was some deliberate ambiguity in the ending, but that was because the director deliberately crafted it so that only those willing to see the "happy ending" would see it, much as the characters in the film missed out, as well, because they were blinded to that world.

The saddest part, for me, was that the others didn't get to come with her, and had to stay in the ugly, violent world above.

Horror is my least favourite genre, thus I waited until I could rent it on DVD. I also anticipate that I'll only be able to watch it for 15/20 minutes at a time due to the horror/strong violence aspect. I'm also sure some of the visuals/character will creep me out too, thus have to stop watching it and come back to it.

So spoiler away, I don't care. :) if anything it will help me watch it. I'll know what is happening and can prepare myself for it. One part of the trailer made me queasy, well not really but I didn't like what it was suggesting, before it cut away.

I recommend covering your eyes for some parts. Provided I just didn't watch . . . certain things, I was okay.

Be on the lookout for threes. There are some very obvious threes, but others give a deeper hint into the themes of the film.

The Pale Man is the creepiest thing in the movie, though I wouldn't even really call that scary, per se. It just popped back into my head at very inconvenient moments.

I recommend covering your eyes for some parts. Provided I just didn't watch . . . certain things' date=' I was okay. [/quote'] that would be ok, except the film is subtitled. Gah. ( :D )

Be on the lookout for threes. There are some very obvious threes, but others give a deeper hint into the themes of the film.

The Pale Man is the creepiest thing in the movie, though I wouldn't even really call that scary, per se. It just popped back into my head at very inconvenient moments.

Thanks, the look of the Pale Man with eyes on his hands is creep enough.

Run, Lola, Run

A very good flick, and Franka Potente was both smoking hot and an extremely appealing actress. Surprising that she never got more of an American following.

The end miracle turned out to be kind of pointless, but the whole "what if you could keep doing it over, until you got it right" theme is always fun.

A very good flick' date=' and Franka Potente was both smoking hot and an extremely appealing actress. Surprising that she never got more of an American following.[/quote']

I'm not sure she's been given enough of a chance. She was in a couple of the Bourne movies, but that's the only thing I've seen her in, stateside.

By the way, I do NOT recommend The Princess and the Warrior, another film she's in. It's just plain bizarre, depressing and somewhat disgusting, in places.