What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On 1/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, Matt the Bruins said:

I'd argue that while Fox's character is a con man, he's not a fake psychic since he actually can see ghosts and such supernatural phenomena.

I finished watching the last two episodes of the CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths last night. While I applaud the logistical tangle it required to implement the crossover, I think the changes to the plot to make it filmable also made it a lot less coherent than the comic book source was. And production value limitations really let things down for the villains and the big fight scene spectacles. I did like when they narrowed focus and concentrated on character interactions though, something that the original had trouble squeezing in for the most part.

Finished Crisis. I enjoyed everyone in it. Loved Smallville Superman punching Lex (and Cryer's Lex is growing on me). Even in the Crisis, Lena's hatred of everyone for not telling her Kara's secret seems stupid. And now we have Lex to overshadow her as a villain. To me Him being back as Villain only really works if you can have Lena to help offset him on the hero's side.

It turns out that I have missed entering quite a large number of films etc from last year

Captain America: Civil War Surprisingly I missed putting this one down. Very enjoyable and a good lead in for Black Panther. They may hav missed a trick by killing odd all the other potential Winter Soldiers but still.

Ghostbusters 2016 The fault in the film is not that it replaces all the men with women. The fault is that it does not engage the audience. It is not bad, the effects are great it just does not hold the attention. Worth seeing once.

The Imitation Game Part of the tale of Alan Turing and how they built a machine to decrypt the German Enigma device. It made a great leap when Turing and his team worked out that a salutation to the Fuhrer was included in most messages. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Turing.

Star Trek Beyond It is not bad but it is not Star Trek. And they destroy the ship before the end of the five year mission. Yet more sacrilege. Again worth one look.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows I have not seen part 1 of the reboot. I liked this. Seamus the wrestler becomes one of the goons fighting the turtles. Interesting take on Krang.

Terminator Genisys In this version of the saga they reboot the first film and also turn John Connor into a villain. Not really the right idea.

Sleeping Beauty: Disney animated classic based upon the Charles Perrault fairy tale. (Blu-ray)

The Three Musketeers: 1993 version of the classic tale, with Tim Curry chewing scenery as the evil Cardinal Richelieu. There are certainly better versions of the story out there, but this one is a fun romp, just the same. (Disney+)

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts (Season 1): Surprisingly good series set in a wrecked future where mutated creatures roam the surface, and (until recently), the title character lived in a protected "burrow" underground. (Netflix)

Zumbo's Just Desserts (Season 2): I have a weakness for cooking shows, and this one's fun. The countdown clock looks like it's made with giant Nixie tubes, which is pretty cool, as well. (Netflix)

12 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Three Musketeers: 1993 version of the classic tale, with Tim Curry chewing scenery as the evil Cardinal Richelieu. There are certainly better versions of the story out there, but this one is a fun romp, just the same. (Disney+)

The thing about that version that always bothered me is I loved the cast and if they had just used and updated the script from the 70s version, I believe they could have been great.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:02 AM, Bazza said:

How is the tone different? Curious. 

Excerpted from something I posted elsewhere:

It's hard to think of this movie as a sequel to Frozen. The tone is just so different. This ain't no typical Disney princess movie. It feels more...I don't know, more grown up, maybe. Higher stakes, both for Anna and Elsa and for everyone around them. More emotionally jarring. More intense in its action and emotional impact. Much darker in its implications. Even with Olaf's occasional funny bits, this isn't a comedy. It's a full-on drama.

The Babylon 5 season 3 episode "Severed Dreams". 

Watching B5 this time around has been a little unnerving, seeing the numerous parallels between Earth Alliance President Clark and an American political leader who shall remain unnamed. I hope things in real life never get as bad as they did on the show.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:45 PM, slikmar said:

So, pretty much typecasting for Raquel, as she pretty much embodied Lust for an entire generation, mine included.

I liked both versions and thought they were both well done.

Best line.   "Suicide is against the law.  In less enlightened times they would have hung you for it."