What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I'm not sure she's been given enough of a chance. She was in a couple of the Bourne movies, but that's the only thing I've seen her in, stateside.

By the way, I do NOT recommend The Princess and the Warrior, another film she's in. It's just plain bizarre, depressing and somewhat disgusting, in places.

Haven't seen it, but so far it sounds typically German. :D

Re watched a restored edition of Royal Warriors, staring Michell Yeoh.

Today, at 46, Michelle is a very attractive woman. In 1986, when she made In the Line of Duty / Royal Warriors, she lacked some of the charisma she now has (and she wasn't much of an actress), but she was heartbreakingly beautiful. Good action and a fair story line for the period, as well as an interesting look at HK in the 1980s. Worth a rental.

Oddhat' date=' have you seen the trailer for [i']The Forbidden Kingdom[/i]?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/forbiddenkingdom/trailer2a/large_theatrical.html

Looks like a blast!

Hadn't seen that trailer. :)

Hope I can see it on the big screen. Not sure I'm happy with the American sidekick, but there's always a nit to pick.

Teen Titans season four. I enjoyed the non raven stories better than the season arc. Billy Numerous and Control Freak were in high gear.

Shoot em up. I could have done without some of the more grosser things done, but at least it had something of a plot behind all the violence.

CES

Contract Lover: A Chinese movie that is the closest I've seen in a foreign film to an exact duplicate of an American-style romantic comedy. A man hires the heroine to be his obnoxious supposed girlfriend so that her misbehaviour will make them welcome his real girlfriend, but finds his supposedly traditionalist family to be weirdly open and forgiving. Her best friend a westerner who plays his part blatantly gay has the best scenes.

The first season of Dexter. Now that is a fun, if highly creepy show. The over-arching plot of season one was incredibly well done. There were some parts that I really didn't want to watch, but I was thankful in how well those parts highlighted my favorite character. If you are into quirky comedy-drama hybrids with a little bit of police investigation bits, this is a must see series. Can't wait for Season Two.

I'm not what you would call a feminist, but I think the progression of Rita's character from broken to this bastion of strength was awesome. We're supposed to like Dexter, but I don't. He is evil. He may be directed and constrained, but there is no doubt that he is evil. I liked Angel Batista. Funny, smart and and very convincing. The rest of the cops (including Debra*) I could give or take.

*The actress who played Debra did an outstanding job, especially the transition from a wannabe detective to an actual one. I just didn't like the character.

Josh and I watched Lucky Number Slevin last night. Interesting.

We saw Music and Lyrics on Friday, and were surprised by how much we liked it. We'd expected formula romantic comedy (which, yeah, there was a bunch of formula stuff), and got a movie that made us both actually laugh and smile a lot.

On Thursday, we went to see Spiderwick with my parents. I wouldn't expect it to be appropriate for little kids; it was kind of scary.