What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

5 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: Not quite as bad as I remembered, though far from a good movie. (Hulu)

I distinctly remember feeling cheated when I left the theater. The only other time I felt that way was after watching The Phantom Menace. I think The Last Jedi rates worse than Phantom Menace, but I watched it on TV and didn't pay to see it.

Finally finished S2 of Altered Carbon on Netflix (with Anthony Mackie).  Not quite as good as S1--much more straight scifi than cyberpunk--but still solid.

Other good Netflix series I've caught some of are Kim's Convenience (sitcom), Midnight Diner (slightly weird Japanese drama), and Never Have I Ever (sitcom).

Next up is S4 of The Last Kingdom.

Been Watching Almost Paradise

A fun show where Christian Kane plays a retired DEA agent settling in the Philippines for medical reasons (high blood pressure, stress, etc). He learns the little gift shop he bought on that secluded beach is not so secluded... and yes, crime aplenty. Now he fights to get his money from the Veterans Affairs office, help the local police deal with criminals in the area that seem drawn to him like a magnet, and keep that BP from spiking. Filmed on site at the  Philippines I think.

I'ts popcorn TV but I like it.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

I distinctly remember feeling cheated when I left the theater. The only other time I felt that way was after watching The Phantom Menace. I think The Last Jedi rates worse than Phantom Menace, but I watched it on TV and didn't pay to see it.

A bunch of us went to an afternoon showing at a theater down the street from the university, and we had a similar feeling. To make matters worse, the theater was on the decline (and gone by 1995), and apparently didn't have working rear channels or low frequency channels in their sound system. That meant that every weapons shot failed to go boom, and they had turned up the front speakers to the point of distortion on louder scenes to cover it up. 

I have finally been catching up on shows. Not sure why, but still feel like Black Lightning is best of the CW shows. Although it is supposedly now on the same world, more then any other it doesn't feel like it. Part of the problem is, with the other supers around, How does a country like Markovia invade the equivalent of Atlanta and no one else reacts? There is some disbelief needed, I realize, but a foreign country invading doesn't seem to be one. But this is a storyline preceding crisis and carrying forward.

It didn't make sense on the show BEFORE the worlds were merged that the US government/military would just sit back for a foreign nation to invade a major American city. We more or less leveled a country that wasn't involved in 9/11 as a reprisal for that event because the populace was angry and clamoring so hard for war!

On 4/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, Ternaugh said:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: JK Rowling's attempt at another Potterverse franchise, but the end result is a muddled mess.

And here I thought I was the only person who didn't like it.  I thought the effects were sloppy, and I've never liked Eddie Redmayne in anything; dude has one facial expression: dumbfounded.

We binged all four series of Money Heist on Netflix.  A Spanish production with decent, but not great, overdub acting.  The first two series are better than the subsequent two, but all are enjoyable.

I just rewatched all seven seasons of The Shield, still one of the best TV series ever, IMO.  Next up for rewatch is Farscape.

Demolition Man: Romantic comedy/fish out of water story. This one's still a lot more fun than it has any right to be. (Hulu)

As an aside, this was the first movie date for my late wife and I back when we were getting together, so it holds a special meaning to me. It's been just over 10 years since I lost her, and I still miss her deeply.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker: I don't know how to summarize the idea of this film in one paragraph. I found it spectacular, but often irrational and at times interminable. There are numerous plot holes and unanswered questions that get in the way of enjoying what seemed to be designed as a thrill ride as much as a movie. In retrospect, I am unable to figure out at all what was going on. And the central problem of the Star Wars universe (the Galaxy is supposed to be unimaginably vast, yet can be traversed if hours by a souped-up Spitfire) is in full display. Time constancy has never been a big thing with Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker: I don't know how to summarize the idea of this film in one paragraph. I found it spectacular, but often irrational and at times interminable. There are numerous plot holes and unanswered questions that get in the way of enjoying what seemed to be designed as a thrill ride as much as a movie. In retrospect, I am unable to figure out at all what was going on. And the central problem of the Star Wars universe (the Galaxy is supposed to be unimaginably vast, yet can be traversed if hours by a souped-up Spitfire) is in full display. Time constancy has never been a big thing with Star Wars.

I believe the summary would be "undoing as much of the CR@P that was done to the SW universe in Last Jedi as much as possible".

Ghost in the Shell SAC 2045.

I liked it. I was never a huge fan of the modern computer assisted animation, but this is the first one that I actually thought well done.

The Pro is they kept to the pacing and story build up of the original SAC series.

The Con is that 2045 is 12 episodes instead of 24/26 so yiu are left at a cliffhanger. 

GitS:SAC is easily in the top 3 of my favorite anime and I own all of them so I went in with a huge grain of salt and was very very pleased with it.

I'm hoping the next part comes out sooner than later.

Sean Bean (Man of a Thousand Deaths) made his mark as an actor playing the rough-edged hero of Sharpe's Rifles -- a man who had been brought up from the ranks by Wellington himself and has a completely no-nonsense approach to discipline and to responding to unearned authority. The experience gave Bean a great interest in the Napoleonic period, and with the bicentennial of Waterloo he was given the opportunity to film a two-part documentary on finding out what it was like to be an ordinary soldier on the front lines. It's a great gaming resource, but also a powerfully moving portrait of men at war and the horrors they experienced.