What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

8 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Interesting. Why nope? I loved that movie.

8 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

I don't know why - precisely - but I find The Book of Eli to be immensely enjoyable simply from a cinematographic point of view.

6 hours ago, slikmar said:

I liked it too. Its over the top, but that is kind of the point.

Good for you all. Just couldn’t get into it. 

9 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I imagine your opinions about Christianity had a lot to do with whether you liked The Book of Eli.

That's interesting and I think you're right.

I've observed a similar thing with a different movie. I've found many people absolutely adore or completely hate The Boondock Saints. (I fall in the I-adore-it camp). But I've wondered why this is. My best conclusion was some people who despise the movie see themselves as potentially being targeted by the Saints, mainly the scene where they shoot up the strip club (spoilers). This one isn't as much as one's opinion about Christianity (which it might apply to a degree, actually), but probably more one's opinion on morality.

I know that religion is technically part of the film, but I don't really take it on. For me, the movie is about how an ideology can be made to serve benevolent or malevolent ends. Plus, as I said before, the cinematography alone is enthralling. Come to think of it...the score is pretty darned good.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, pinecone said:

Last night I watched the newest version of Electra-woman, and Dyna-girl. It was "ok". Overall I did not regret watching. 2 1/2 out of 5?

I didn't know about this. Watched it on Pluto TV. It was terrible. I loved it.

https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/electra-woman-and-dyna-girl-1-1

Big Trouble in Little China: What happens when the sidekick doesn't realize he is one? The movie's still a lot of fun, even after 30 years.

Back when the movie service Ultraviolet was starting up, it was common for the various affiliates to offer free movies for linking an account, and this was one of the offered movies.

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Watched the film Scoob, the first instalment of the Hanna-Barbera shared universe. 

Why? I don't understand the appeal of a H-B shared universe series of films, and this may not be the best of times to launch one. What would the next film be? A Flintstones-Jetsons crossover?

2 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Why? I don't understand the appeal of a H-B shared universe series of films, and this may not be the best of times to launch one. What would the next film be? A Flintstones-Jetsons crossover?

You mean the one they made in 1987?

I'm finally getting around to watching Star Trek: Discovery. Four episodes in, and it's not bad. The visuals make it hard to accept that it's supposed to predate TOS by a decade, and I'm not a huge fan of how the Klingons look. But the main characters are interesting, and the dialogue is solid. Plus, how many sci-fi series feature a tardigrade as the Monster Of The Week?

I have a care worker who comes in during the week, and as part of my therapy we've been watching Avatar: The Last Airbender.(I got the DVDs a while back, though ironically the Blu-Rays would have been cheaper and probably better. As it turned out, she used to be fanatical about watching Avatar growing up. It's like the Doctor Who video parties I attended as a young man all over again.

Interesting story so far; I'm through eight episodes of Book 1 and the task that has been set for Aang looks impossible (although he's already survived perils of many varieties, half the planet wanting him dead is going ot be rough). Still, this is fantasy fiction, and such impossible tasks have been set before.

The characters are growing on me, even the deliberately obnoxious Sokka. And of course there is Mako's masterpiece performance as Uncle Iroh, a man who loves his simple pleasures and tries to convince the hot-headed Prince Zuko (for whom Aang is his own personal Moby Dick) to do the same. Iroh practically symbolizes wisdom in American animation (although I believe the show was a co-production with a Korean company as well -- someone will have to remind me on that).and the voice performance by Mako is beautiful. (His death was a great loss for American animation).

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Long movie in search of a good screenwriter and an editor. (DVD.com Blu-ray)

Is that going to be the last Fantastic Beasts film? Has J.K. Rowling lost interest in pursuing the adventures of Newt any further? Will the studio pull the plug?

Saw the West End version of Cats tonight, interrupted by an (unrelated) trip to the hospital. It's not great theater -- in many senses it isn't theater at all -- but it is better than I expected. There isn't even a semblance of a plot -- just a series of songs and dance numbers bound together by the common theme of being about -- well, various cats who mimic human social characteristics. And as that, it works.I think I finally get the appeal.

I then watched a Youtube video in which the person who does it, who usually discusses art technique through the medium of her webcomic, proposes a way to fix the terrible and terrifying Cats film from the last holiday season. The most sensible would, of course, have been dropping the concept of humans-as-cats and make a 2D animated film that can take advantage of animations capacity to give movement, expression, and life to anything it is conceivable to draw.