What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

13 hours ago, slikmar said:

Was watching the end of Spiderman 3. They did such a great job with Sandman, why did they have to ruin the movie with Venom? If they had done Hydroman working with him or even a Mysterio manipulating him, would have been so much better.

I loved Sandman, and also the Goblin redemption arc.

I could have done without the Uncle Ben retcon, though.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:49 PM, Pariah said:

I fully anticipate calls for me to surrender my geek card, but I found 2001: A Space Odyssey almost unbearably tedious. It took me three sittings to get through it all. Yeah, the effects were cool, but to me it started really, really slow and then never accelerated. 

Rossini is reported to have said that Wagner's music "has great moments, but bad quarter-hours". I suppose that would be my assessment of this movie as well.

"It started slow, then made sure to maintain it's pace". It is slow, but I like it. Lol

On 7/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, Pariah said:

I fully anticipate calls for me to surrender my geek card, but I found 2001: A Space Odyssey almost unbearably tedious. It took me three sittings to get through it all. Yeah, the effects were cool, but to me it started really, really slow and then never accelerated. 

Rossini is reported to have said that Wagner's music "has great moments, but bad quarter-hours". I suppose that would be my assessment of this movie as well.

Similarly I have never watched an episode of Star Trek The Original Series. 

23 hours ago, death tribble said:

Harley Quinn animated series This is fun but lacks a little something. Too much gratuitous death I think.

Van Der Valk season 2. Only 7 episodes but they changed the opening titles so that you could tell it was a different season. A number of different stories and not all had a happy ending but it was good. and again you have the theme tune.

The Battle of Britain. Three days to Save the Nation. This looked at three specific days. August 15th when the Germans launched Eagle Day trying to catch the RAF on the ground. August 30th when the Germans tried to swamp the RAF and September 15th when they tried mass attacks on London and ran into the Big Wings. The programme used interviews with family members of ground crew and pilots and their log books, photographs, letters and diaries which they were not supposed to keep. Sadly the pilots they covered were killed either in the battle or shortly thereafter. They also had an interview with a member of the ground crew, an armourer, who died before the programme was screened but he was nearly 100 years old.

Nate and Hayes Tommy Lee Jones stars in a swashbuckler set in the Pacific. Jenny Seagrove is the woman involved. The Germans want to set up an anchorage in the South Pacific and try to use Ponape which means they need to offer a sacrifice i.e. Jenny. Tommy and Jenny's husband to the rescue. It was fun.

Hanger 18. After a shuttle has an encounter with a UFO, the returning astronauts are grounded while scientists try to work on the downed UFO. And certain government people try to keep the things quiet. May have inspired Chris Carter for the X-Files.

Hacksaw Ride  The conscientious objector who served as a medic in WW2 and saved the lives of over 50 men in his unit on the aforenamed ridge. The fighting scenes are savage. Well worth seeing.

The Battle of Britain started 80 years ago, yesterday. 

On 7/10/2020 at 7:34 AM, death tribble said:

Hanger 18. After a shuttle has an encounter with a UFO, the returning astronauts are grounded while scientists try to work on the downed UFO. And certain government people try to keep the things quiet. May have inspired Chris Carter for the X-Files.

Where did you find it?  I looked through the usual and didn't find it.

The Star Trek: Voyager episode "Live Fast and Prosper". I missed most of the last two seasons of Voyager in its initial run due to changes in my living situation, so I'd never seen this one before. Not too bad, especially considering how...bipolar the quality of Voyager's episodes could be.

Just now, death tribble said:

Most of the films I list are screened on the Talking Pictures channel in Britain. This was one of them

That would explain it.  My overall consumption of movies is steadily ticking downward because I simply refuse to subscribe to more streams/channels/what have you. 

Bad for me watching movies but good for my bottom line...

On 7/9/2020 at 6:49 PM, Pariah said:

2001 is a great movie. A milestone in cinema. Whether it's a good movie is a more complex question. And what makes it great might also be what doesn't make it good. Mostly, that Kubrick sets out to show humanity encountering something incomprehensible, and so leaves the audience in pretty much the same position as the characters. He set out to make a movie that leaves you wondering what the hell just happened, and boy howdy, he succeeded.

It was difficult for me to appreciate this on first viewing because (like Cancer) I'd already read A. C. Clarke's book, which explains everything. But Kubrick followed the rule my junior high English teacher gave for writing: Show me, don't tell me. So nobody stops to explain zero-g, or how to use centrifugal force to simulate gravity. You are supposed to figure it out for yourself.

We never really know any of the characters. HAL gets more backstory than any of the humans, and that's a matter of seconds. We know some characters have families, but how did they end up doing what they do? We get nothing. Because real people rarely go around delivering exposition on their life stories.

The monolith does something to start the early hominids using tools, but what or how? Dunno, it just does. When the monolith at Jupiter opens, nobody says, "It's a hyperspacial wormhole!" Actually, after enduring 7 seasons of Star Trek: the Next Generation, I find the absence of technobabble pseudo-explanations quite appealing.

So, the opacity is deliberate. But it's not the usual idea of fun movie-watching. I don't blame anyone who finds it difficult to watch and impossible to enjoy.

Dean Shomshak

On 7/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, death tribble said:

Nate and Hayes Tommy Lee Jones stars in a swashbuckler set in the Pacific. Jenny Seagrove is the woman involved. The Germans want to set up an anchorage in the South Pacific and try to use Ponape which means they need to offer a sacrifice i.e. Jenny. Tommy and Jenny's husband to the rescue. It was fun.

I'll probably watch Hangar 18 now. I remember the tv ads from the (early!) Eighties and I was always meaning to watch it.

Nate and Hayes also sounds good. I appreciate your recommendations, DT.

A livestream from the San Francisco Opera. The summer and fall seasons were cancelled due to COVID-19. Some of the performers would have made their San Francisco debuts this summer. This was a way for the performers to showcase their talents. Since the singers and the new musical director are scattered across the globe right now, the musical pieces were previously taped, but the interviews were live.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:30 PM, Starlord said:

The Last Kingdom, Season 4

Another great season of historical fiction from the novels of Bernard Cromwell.  Dialogue is still really well done.  All the new characters this year were solid.

Also, Aethelflaed is super hot.

Train to Busan. It was well-made from a production standpoint, but I got bored with the repetitive nature of the chase/zombie attack sequences about halfway through and fast forwarded to the highlights.

Jessica Jones. I mainlined the first three episodes last night. Everything people have said about the stellar quality is correct—I think it's a much narratively leaner (in a good way, nothing unnecessary left in) show than Daredevil, and trusts its watchers to keep up rather than repeatedly underscoring points to them.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, Pariah said:

The Star Trek: Voyager episode "Live Fast and Prosper". I missed most of the last two seasons of Voyager in its initial run due to changes in my living situation, so I'd never seen this one before. Not too bad, especially considering how...bipolar the quality of Voyager's episodes could be.

Don't you mean "how bipolar Captain Janeway is"?