What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

What I meant specifically was "how bipolar the writing staff was with regard to Captain Janeway".

Never lay off responsibility onto the player for whatever real psychological problems the character had when her character sheet was made. :D

The Man Who Could Cheat Death

This is a Hammer Horror with Anton Differing as an artist who has lived for over 100 years but needs a surgery every ten years to get a new gland to continue living. He goes up against Christopher Lee's doctor. Interesting.

Macbeth

This is the Michael Fassbinder version with Marion Cottilard as Lady Macbeth. It is eerie and mayhaps underplayed.n Worth a look at the very least.

Escape from Zahrain

Yul Brynner is an Arab leader sentenced to death who escapes in an ambulance and makes for the border. Again worth a look.

War for the Planet of the Apes

I have also got Dawn recorded but watched this first. The CGI is impressive in converting human actors into apes. And it links into the original films very nicely.

Logan Lucky

Two brothers decide to rob a race track but end up robbing it on one of the biggest race days of the year. Has Daniel Craig and Adam Driver do American accents. It is small scale but comedic and touching.

The Dancing Years

This is based on a musical that ran in the Second World War but looked at Austria pre and post World War 1. It did not follow the full script of the musical. It follows the fortunes of a composer and a musical star who becomes his muse until a misunderstanding blights their lices.

Been watching a bunch of stuff lately, but not posting. Let's see if I can remember a few:

Abyss (Netflix): Korean drama staring Park Bo-Young. Unlike the other K-dramas of hers that I've seen, which are supernatural romances with serial killer subplots, this one is a supernatural serial killer plot with a romance subplot. And massively obvious product placements. It was good enough, but I think ran long (to fit in more scenes designed for product placement). The older ones, Strong Girl Bong Soon and Oh My Ghostess were better. Park still super charming and cute, though, with some dramatic chops tossed in.

A few Hong Kong martial arts/action/fantasy movies on YouTube free with ads (or without, if you have an ad blocker): Let's see . . . Kung Fu Killer (pretty good, second time I've watched it), Contract Killer (silly but still fun), The Sorcerer and the White Snake (pretty good if you like fairy tales), Monkey King 1 and 2 (both pretty good, better production values in the second). Not a HK movie, but also free on YT, Blitz with Jason Statham, which was pretty decent, if middle of the road. I really like Statham's cranky badassery, so I give it a pass. Kind of fails in the current climate since he's a "good cop breaking the rules" type, though.

The Order (Season 2, Netflix): Second season of The Order. decent enough secret supernatural society teen novel material show. Good acting and good dialog. Nice cliff hangers that were more situational than leaving you hanging in the middle of a scene.

Warrior Nun (Netflix): Way better than expected. I think the lead actress has a shot at breaking through to a huge career here. Had a cliffhanger that did leave me hanging in the middle of a scene, though, darn it. It's based on the 90s comic, Warrior Nun Ariela, which I never read, so not sure if super faithful. The lead isn't Ariela, though. The first season leaves a lot of world building questions out there to fill in.

The Old Guard (Netflix) Charlize Theron stars as the head of a squad of immortal warriors, with Chiwetel Ejiofor in a supporting role. I think it's also based on a comic. Seems to be a made for Netflix thing. Pretty decent, good fights, really linear plot. Ending leaves setup for a sequel. Seems to have had good critical and audience reception, so fair odds on the sequel.

Hanna (Season 2, Amazon Prime): Was good, but not as good as the first season. I'd watch a third season, but it seems like it might just be headed down familiar paths at this point, aka, Nikita, etc. I think not having Kinnaman in the cast kind of hurt it. Enos is pretty tolerable, though. First thing I've actually liked her in. She seems cursed with unlikable characters.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Abyss (Netflix): Korean drama staring Park Bo-Young. Unlike the other K-dramas of hers that I've seen, which are supernatural romances with serial killer subplots, this one is a supernatural serial killer plot with a romance subplot. And massively obvious product placements. It was good enough, but I think ran long (to fit in more scenes designed for product placement). The older ones, Strong Girl Bong Soon and Oh My Ghostess were better. Park still super charming and cute, though, with some dramatic chops tossed in.

I have been watching a lot of K-Drama in the last few years.  I really enjoyed IRIS (the series, Korean espionage drama, Netflix).  Descendants Of The Sun is a good series as well (Medical/Security drama, Rakuten VIKI) as is K2 (crime syndicate body guard drama, Netflix).

The Bourne Identity: "Who am I?" thriller based on the Ludlum book. A good watch. (Peacock)

Battlestar Galactica (miniseries): It's been a long time since I've watched the reimaged BSG, and it holds up fairly well. (Peacock)

Brave New World (Season 1): I'm sure that there's going to be some high school students who try to use this series as a replacement for reading the book, but the plot meanders substantially away from the classic novel. The new story is serviceable, but somewhat flat, and it definitely ends the season in a place that sets up the plot for further seasons (if they are made). (Peacock)

Shrek: A different take on rescuing the princess. (Peacock)

I'm subscribed to the Premium tier of Peacock, which was heavily discounted at the time that I signed up. That tier is free for subscribers to the higher levels of Comcast or Cox TV service, however. There are ads, though in general, they tend to be placed at decent points in the story, and the breaks are fairly short (30 seconds to 1 minute is typical, with 3 breaks during Brave New World, 4 during The Bourne Identity, none during Shrek). There is an ad-free tier for $5 more, but I'm not suitably annoyed at the commercials yet to pay for it. There's no Roku client yet, so I've been watching through a browser (Edge Chromium worked better than Chrome). There's a lot of stuff on the service that I'll watch, including many classic TV series and movies.

Oh Rosalinda !

This is a 1955 musical based on Die Fledermaus and set in Austria under the occupation of Britain, America, France and Russia. A French officer is targeted by a local prankster for revenge after the latter woke up drunk on a statue. Michael Redgrave, Anthony Quayle and Mel Ferrer star.

Tour de France recycled. Geraint's Tour

This was repeats of the hour summary shows of the 2018 Tour de France won by Geraint Thomas. Apart from Thomas's win you had Peter Sagan winning an equal 6th Green Jersey win but spending more days in the Green Jersey than anyone else. You also had Thomas win on Alpe d'Huez in the Yellow Jersey which had never been done before.

The Carpetbaggers

George Peppard as a quasi Howard Hughes with Alan Ladd in a support role in what was his last acting role as he died before it was released in the cinema. Long but engrossing.

Tomb Raider

This is.the Alicia Wikander film version. With a new villain group called Trinity and an obscure Japanese figure called Himiko it stops the audience second guessing the script which is a good thing. Worth a look.

The Secret of Dorian Gray

This is the Dorian Gray story set in 1970's London. Fairly true to the story except in how Dorian dies. Interesting.

Cobra

This is the Sylvester Stallone film which reunited two members of the Dirty Harry cast and was Brian Thompson's first major role. It is not bad

Finished Season 1 of Cursed (Netflix): Not bad, but has some plot convenience going on in a couple of places. Will watch a Season 2. Good casting for Nimue and Merlin. Not over-excited about the rest of the cast, but no complaints either. Oh, and Squirrel. I liked Squirrel.

Watched Outsider (Netflix), a movie about a white veteran (possibly AWOL, played by Jared Leto) jailed in post-war Japan who joins the Yakuza. Nicely-shot, good acting, and absolutely zero exposition. If you don't like exposition, this is the movie for you. It could have used just a little exposition, though. Pretty average fare, you won't miss much if you never see it.

Starting Star Trek Discovery (CBS All Access). Wife watched it already, and what I overheard from the other room didn't sound too bad. I'm not going to get bent out of shape if it colors outside the lines a bit on Trek continuity, since the franchise has never been a bastion of continuity anyway.

8 hours ago, death tribble said:

Tomb Raider

This is.the Alicia Wikander film version. With a new villain group called Trinity and an obscure Japanese figure called Himiko it stops the audience second guessing the script which is a good thing. Worth a look.

This is entirely based off the most recent reboot. There are some scenes in the movie straight from the video game. I enjoyed it, but I have enjoyed all the Tomb Raider games, though this reboot (more the game then the movie) has Lara questioning the consequences of the things she does (ie I must get to the uber powerful item first and take it only to have it constantly seem to be taken from me). Still the story is good and brings a lot more of her history into it. I do wish instead of the pilot (I like Daniel Wu, but really wish they had used the "crew" from the first game, especially Jonah).

So, I've been seeing ads for Star Trek: Lower Decks. A LOT of ads. I've watched a few, and as far as I can tell, it's what a Star Trek series would look like if it were reimagined by Seth MacFarlane.

Which makes me think...don't we already have one of those?

Finished Season 2 of Discovery. Actually liked it a lot. Upped their game from Season 1, really enjoyed the cast dynamics.

Watching All Rise, a few episodes in. Courtroom drama/feel good show starring Simone Missick. Writing is pretty bad, but I like Missick and some ot the other cast members (Reggie Lee from Grimm in a supporting role, and the girl that played Gypsy on Flash). I really don't recommend this one, but I'm watching it anyway.

Finished Season 1 of All Rise. Still mediocre, but some good performances. I like the cast, don't like the show much. I'll probably keep watching it as a guilty pleasure.

Watched The Magicians, Season 4 (Netflix). Pretty good. The usual off color humor and dialog, and hairy situations. Has fallen into a pattern. Still liking it, but thinking that ending it with Season 5 (not on Netflix yet, but has aired on SyFy) was probably a good call.