What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the theater to see New Mutants, because I figure if it finally hitting theaters causes the end of the world, might as well have good seats.

It was actually pretty darn good, though I regret the changes to the nature/origin of a couple of the characters, especially now that the X-Men franchise is owned by Disney and supernatural explanations are back on the table. And I am casting SERIOUS side-eye at the director for making Roberto white because he wanted someone believable as a rich Brazillian, though I have no complaints about Henry Zaga's performance. Most of the characters were true to their comics personalities if not origins, and well acted. It falls in the upper half of the X-Men movies for me.

My theater allowed mask removal once you were in your (stadium) seat, though if I hadn't had a partitioned row to myself I'd probably have worn mine anyway. I've found the KN95 disposable masks to be much more comfortable than the blue surgical masks or homemade options—wore one through a 3-hour live theatre performance last month with very little discomfort.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I went to the theater to see New Mutants, because I figure if it finally hitting theaters causes the end of the world, might as well have good seats.

It was actually pretty darn good, though I regret the changes to the nature/origin of a couple of the characters, especially now that the X-Men franchise is owned by Disney and supernatural explanations are back on the table. And I am casting SERIOUS side-eye at the director for making Roberto white because he wanted someone believable as a rich Brazillian, though I have no complaints about Henry Zaga's performance. Most of the characters were true to their comics personalities if not origins, and well acted. It falls in the upper half of the X-Men movies for me.

Ugh...I'm guessing magic for.....Magik...is out?

It's inconclusive, but I think the various things she's able to do are treated as a very versatile set of mutant powers rather than actual magic (though it seems she may keep the codename). I do give them props for coming up with a workable substitute for the Belasco backstory that hits many of the same personal trauma beats without needing the X-Men's involvement.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, Matt the Bruins said:

This was a finished movie before Disney bought it. They put no money in it, and asked nothing from the director. Anything they get from this will be kickback on the money they gave to buy fox's entertainment division.

CES  

I tried to watch Disney's attempt to get into the sci-fi market in 1979, The Black Hole. I tried to have an open mind about it, but about half an hour I had to give up.

So much stupid...

In between an "adorable" little robot companion who looked just silly, an enormous spaceship that looked equally stupid, all the signs of a Forbidden Planet outright remake, and completely uninterested performances from every actor on screen playing characters thin as cardboard (it's like everyone, including such distinguished actors as Maximillian Schell, Anthony Perkins, and Ernest Borgnine, knew this was crap but needed to collect the paycheck anyway), itwas such a perfect storm of **** that it was utterly unwatchable. Even MST3K couldn't make this entertaining.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Beast from 20000 Fathoms

4 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

THEM!

Two of my favorite sci-fi monster movies from the 1950s, and inspiration for many subsequent imitators, mostly inferior. Both notable for intelligent scripts and a strong, smart, female main character. I also have always thought Dr. Thurgood Elsen and Dr. Harold Medford would have gotten along splendidly.

32 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Two of my favorite sci-fi monster movies from the 1950s, and inspiration for many subsequent imitators, mostly inferior. Both notable for intelligent scripts and a strong, smart, female main character. I also have always thought Dr. Thurgood Elsen and Dr. Harold Medford would have gotten along splendidly.

We have super drafts that will allow Dr. Thurgood Elsen and Dr. Harold Medford to be on the same team. You'd just have to pick the draft. And we are nearly finished our Monsters vs Aliens super draft that can made that happen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first season of Titans on a loaner DVD from the library. I have to eat crow, based on the promos when it first came out I thought it would be an overly-edgy shitshow like an R-rated version of most of the CW superhero shows, but it was actually quite good. All of the principal actors and most of the major guest ones except the guy who played Niles Caulder and maybe Alan Ritchson are really good, and I got pulled into the story very quickly.