What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The fifth season of Babylon 5 is unfortunate. Season 4 was supposed to end with the interrogation episode, but rumors began to fly that the show wouldn't be renewed for a fifth season. So JMS hurried things along to get the bulk of his story told by the end of season 4. When the show was surprisingly renewed for the fifth season after all, there wasn't a lot of story left untold. So if it feels like season 5 is mostly filler, well, it is.

Having said that, season five gets better once the telepath nonsense is cleared up. The second half of the season is worth watching just to see the resolution of things with Londo.

There Will Be Blood, 2007, Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano.  A truly amazing film, beautifully shot and movingly scored, with a mesmerizing performance by Day-Lewis.  Highly recommended, especially if you like allegories about greed and religion, or if you like long closeups of Daniel Day-Lewis' face.

A whole load of music ones make up this post curtesy of Sky Arts which is showing them on a Friday or a Saturday morning after midnight

The Cure 40th Anniversary concert, live in Hyde Park

This is a recording of The Cure in London's Hyde Park as they celebrate 40 years of existence. I really like the band so this is a real treat. 

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert

From Wembley Stadium, the surviving members of Queen play Queen tracks with gust vocalists and other musicians including Axl Rose, Elton John and Tommy Iommi. The stand out is George Michael singing Somebody to Love which is ended by the crowd mimicking how Freddie would finish the vocal on Love. The delight on the rest of the band is wonderful.

Madness Before and After

The band recall their roots and play at two venues that they started their career in charging the same amount at the door as they did then. And that was the late 70s. Fascinating if you like the band.

Duran Duran: A Diamond in the Mind

Concert footage from Manchester in 2011 where the band run through a lot of material familiar to the audience. I'd watch this again.

The Sex Pistols: There Will Always be An England

Concert footage from 2007. Steve Jones looks like he has gone to seed but John Lydon exudes a ferocity that shows why he is a force to be reckoned with.  Lots of foul language if you do try and watch this so be warned.

The Damned: Don't You Wish We Were Dead ?

As the band celebrate their 35th anniversary with a tour, this documentary traces their beginnings and career. The band are now Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible with others. The drummer Rat Scabies has retired but would not play with Sensible and Vanian again and the documentary makes clear why. There are lots of talking heads including contemporaries like Chrissie Hynde, Don Letts and Lemmy from Motorhead. There are also those who were influence by the band such as The Offspring and Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode. Really good and worth repeated viewing.

The Grass is Greener

Robert Mitchum's millionaire tries to woo Deborah Kerr away from her husband Cary Grant while Jean Simmonds, Kerr's friend, tries to interest Grant. A romantic comedy from a different time. And three actors from Britain happily settled in Hollywood playing Brits.

The Cure: Video Killed the Radio Star

Robert Smith of the Cure and Tim Pope who directed the videos of the band discuss the videos. Short and pleasant.

Armchair Theatre

This strand had a number of one hour plays. This one involved Richard Beckinsale as a junior detective who perches on the doorstep of a criminal who has never been brought in, in order to provoke a reaction as three truckloads of brandy have been stolen and the crook is one of a couple of people who has enough organisation to pull this off. It was not bad,

Underworld Blood Wars

Kate Beckinsale, one of Richard's daughters, is back as Selene as the vampires and werewolves are still fighting. This kept a good pace up so you did not have time to be bored. Good support from Lara Pulver and Charles Dance.

White Riot

Documentary charting the founding of Rock Against Racism with the people who were involved and why it was necessary. A reminder of the evils of the National Front and how to take them on without resorting to the same tactics. Very worthy but required viewing.

The Jam: Live at Rockpalast

I like the band but this live recording of them does them no justice whatsoever. It pales into comparison with the other concert footage I have seen of late. For Jam completionists only

School for Secrets

A war film made in 1946 by Peter Ustinov looking at the role scientists played looking particularly at radar. Ralph Richardson and David Tomlinson star.

The Challenge

Jayne Mansfield plays against type as the brains behind a criminal racket and sets up Anthony Quayle who goes to prison for a caper that he pulls with her and her associates. He however buried the money and the rest of the group want the money when he is released so they abduct his son in order to get him to talk. It does not go well for them as the police are watching Quayle.

Champion

Kirk Douglas is a boxer in this 1949 film. He manages to alienate everyone around him while trying to get to the top and stay there. Worth a look

The Happiest Days of Your Life

A boys school and a girls school are forced to cohabit by a bureaucratic blunder and coexistence is difficult. Add to this that parents are unaware of the arrangements and must be deceived when some visit the school as do governors of a school that the headmaster of the boys school wants to join. Alistair Sim is the headmaster while Margaret Rutherford is the headmistress of the girl school. See it for them as it is different to St Trinians for Sim and Marple for Rutherford.

Unpublished Story

Following his return from Dunkirk, a journalist determines to undermine a peace society unaware that it has been infiltrated by German agents intent on encouraging pacifism.

Danger Within

Escapes from an Italian run prisoner of war camp fail and suspicion falls on a Greek officer. However when he is found dead, could there be a traitor amongst the British officers. There are lots of well known British actors of the period including Bernard Lee, Richard Todd, Dennis Price, Donald Houston, Michael Wilding and Richard Attenborough feature. Peter Arne plays the sadistic Italian captain who is the second in command of the Italians. Worth a look.

Blade Runner 2049.  How the hell did I miss this in the theater?  It's incredible.  It stays true to the tone and subject matter of the original yet it is its own film, and a great one.  Beautifully shot with mostly practical effects.  It's also almost three hours long, and it takes its time, yet it never feels slow.

Incidentally, I couldn't find this on any streaming services (for free), so I watched it on blu-ray.  And then, when it was over, I watched the entire end credits crawl.    I don't think I've done that for a year.  (No there are no end credits scenes.)

Charlie Chan in Panama

Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise

Charlie Chan in the Wax Museum

Charlie Chan in Murder Over New York

Charlie Chan in Rio

Charlie Chan in Dead Men Tell <- George Reeves about 10 years before The Adventures of Superman

Castle in the Desert

The Expanse s1

Shazam!

Captain Marvel

The New Mutants

Wandavision

American Gods S3

The Boys S2

Gorath- Japanese sci-fi film along the lines of When Worlds Collide.

New Mutants was a mixed bag. Not terrible, but not really closely tied to the source material enough for fans to care. It also ties into the now completely irrelevant Fox universe so a lot of the proceedings seem pointless. Some good to great casting choices for at least some of the characters though.

Just now, Matt the Bruins said:

Agreed, I thought it was an enjoyable watch. Not crazy about the retcons to Dani and Illyana's origins (

Hide contents

if you want to remove mysticism from the setting, maybe don't pick the Demon Bear storyline for your script

), but I certainly can't fault the actresses.

So Illyana's character was dorked? 

I really liked Illyana when her character first came out.  I think it was in Xmen.  The miniseries about her taking over.....it has been years, does Limbo sound right.  Can't remember.  But I do remember the original New Mutants and really liked it up until I wasn't able to get the comic anymore. 

Sad that they tossed away a great story line and just used the name.

To prep for the new Marvel series, the son and I watched:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America: Civil War

15 hours ago, Greywind said:

The Expanse s1

15 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

The Boys S2

Both great series.

The Boys Season 3 - impressive story arc of how The Deep bumbled his way from being a total pawn/outcast of the Church at the beginning to more or less accidentally running the whole thing by the end. It lent a needed almost comedic counter-point to all the other grim sub-plots. 

7 hours ago, slikmar said:

Almost as good as their predecessor Wonderfalls, which really needed to be allowed to keep going. this is not to say Pushing Daisies was not excellent, as it was, but I don't believe I have spent more time laughing out loud as I did watching the first few episodes of Wonderfalls.

Wonderfalls was fantastic.  I only discovered it after it left the air.  Have the DVDs.  I never understood how a show like WF will be canceled and yet we have hours of not funny "comedies" that will simply not die. 

Another great comedy was The Middleman.

Bad Dreams

A woman awakes from a coma after spending over a decade in hospital following the mass suicide of the cult that she was a member of. As psychiatrists try to get her to adjust to modern society the therapy group starts to die. The woman believes that the cult leader is trying to get her to join the others on the other side. It turns out that another psychiatrist is trying to get the group to kill themselves in order to validate his own research. He has altered the medication in order for this to happen. Worth a look.

Oasis Live at the Barrowlands 2001 concert

This concert celebrated ten years of the band. It is a short concert but it was good. Johnny Marr guested on guitar.

David Bowie Glass Spider Tour

This is a recoding of the 80s tour that David Bowie did. It had a number of his hits but it just did not have the oomph that other concerts I have seen had. 

David Bowie: Video Killed The Radio Star

This is a rundown of the various videos that David Bowie made for singles that he released. This was good and better than the Glass Spider tour.

Nijinky

This a film biography of the ballet dancer towards the end of his career at the Ballet Russes. It does not deal with the years in and out of asylums. It has a number of the ballet numbers and is for ballet fans really.

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars

A police officer on Mars relates the actions of their unit in trying to collect a prisoner. She is the only survivor of her unit and she also tells about hearing how recent troubles on the planet started and what is causing it. This was the first time I had seen the film the whole way through and it is not bad. It is not Carpenter's best but it is still alright.

The quality of the writing deteriorates over the course of the series, but the pilot episode was brilliant IMO. Patrick Warburton gloriously throws himself into the sincere absurdity of the Tick. And IMO Bat Manuel was a much cleverer concept than Die Fledermaus. But my favorite pun from the series is still the fifty-foot-tall bovine who shoots fire from her teats, "Apocalypse Cow." :lol:

4 hours ago, Spence said:

Another great comedy was The Middleman.

Art crawl!

28 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:
1 hour ago, archer said:

Watching The Tick (live-action).

But my favorite pun from the series is still the fifty-foot-tall bovine who shoots fire from her teats, "Apocalypse Cow." :lol:

My favorite bit was:
"No offense intended."
"...None comprehended!"

4 hours ago, slikmar said:

Almost as good as their predecessor Wonderfalls, which really needed to be allowed to keep going. this is not to say Pushing Daisies was not excellent, as it was, but I don't believe I have spent more time laughing out loud as I did watching the first few episodes of Wonderfalls.

Wonderfalls was pretty much my platonic ideal of a television show, but what I've read of Bryan Fuller's sketched-out plans for subsequent seasons makes me think it was better off being wrapped up when it was.

I wanted to see the season that a non malformed lion came out and explained the malformed original one was crazy.

It got cancelled because no viewers, though I suspect they were growing. The advertising for it never did it justice since there wasn't an easy explanation. I know my wife started watching after she heard me laughing my head off in the other room and we did everything we could to get as many friends to tune in as we could. I think given a full season and then an intro to a second, word of mouth would have increased viewership.