What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Rewatched WW84.

Still have absolutely no idea what all the hate is about.

Me neither. I can understand some disappointment but there's nothing to hate.

I do wish that they had used the original Perez story and not taken the macguffin to such ridiculous extremes, but they did the best they could with the script they had. 

I don't hate it, I thought suffered from a goofy opening and ending.  There were tone and editing issues and it contained a lot of unnecessary 'sequel bloat'.  Additionally, I'm not a fan of the gold armor (although I think changing from her traditional skimpy armor to a more modern look would be a good idea) or the increase in power level.  It was ok - I'd give it a C+ and probably won't ever rewatch.

Invincible, the new hour long animated superhero drama series from Amazon Prime (I guess about half of the first season is out so far). 

Not childish or juvenile in any way. Also not too gory-just-to-prove-we're-not-childish.

Good storyline. Hasn't been predictable at all which is a refreshing change from most TV entertainment.

I’ve been binge watching The Ranch.
   A NetFlicks situation dramedy starring Ashton Kutcher and everybody he’s ever worked with. It’s about a struggling family cattle ranch In Colorado. It’s surprisingly not bad. AK is a failed football player who comes back home after 15 years of chasing the dream on smaller and smaller teams.  The costars are Sam Elliot & Debra Winger as the estranged parents and Danny Masterson (Kelso from That ‘70’s Show) as the brother.

The Ten Commandments: The remastered Cecil B. DeMille 1956 "roadshow" version, which looks and sounds great on the new 4K release. (4K Blu-ray)

The Court Jester: Danny Kaye classic, remastered from the original VistaVision elements, and on Blu-ray for the first time, this is highly recommended. (Blu-ray)

Looker: Albert Finney plays a plastic surgeon who ends up investigating why some of his patients died. It's a technological thriller written and directed by Michael Crichton, and parts of it hold up better than others. (Blu-ray)

Soul: A music teacher gets his big break in a jazz group, and promptly falls into an open manhole. He then attempts to get back to his body on earth. Think of it as "Inside Out" with a better musical soundtrack. I enjoyed it. (4K Blu-ray)

15 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Ten Commandments: The remastered Cecil B. DeMille 1956 "roadshow" version, which looks and sounds great on the new 4K release. (4K Blu-ray)

The Court Jester: Danny Kaye classic, remastered from the original VistaVision elements, and on Blu-ray for the first time, this is highly recommended. (Blu-ray)

Looker: Albert Finney plays a plastic surgeon who ends up investigating why some of his patients died. It's a technological thriller written and directed by Michael Crichton, and parts of it hold up better than others. (Blu-ray)

Soul: A music teacher gets his big break in a jazz group, and promptly falls into an open manhole. He then attempts to get back to his body on earth. Think of it as "Inside Out" with a better musical soundtrack. I enjoyed it. (4K Blu-ray)

I always have liked Looker. It was a cool movie, and ahead of it's time.

Just finished Bladerunner 2049. Not much to it, the visuals were nice though.

23 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I've not seen a remastered version but the original is certainly enchanting and entertaining. Kaye's talent seems to spill out from the screen, more than a mere movie could contain. 

Such a pity that, by very many accounts, he was a deeply unpleasant person to work with. A favourite comment from Vincent Price: "Yes, it amuses me how many people thought I was like the monster in the Edgar Allan Poe movies and thought Danny Kaye was a nice man."

The Greatest Poem of World War I

This is about In Parenthesis by David Jones. Published in 1937 it follows a Welsh regiment coming together and then going to war culminating with the Battle of Mametz Wood which was part of the Battle of the Somme. It looks at Jones life before joining up i World War 1, his war experience and then what shaped his writing of the poem. Fascinating as I had never heard of it.

The Return of the Living Dead

Want to know where the fascination with zombies going after brains comes from ? Well here it is. The zombies are also a bit more intelligent luring paramedics and police into traps and death. Clu Galagher actually gets to stand out and star in a film for a change. The other stand out is Linnea Quigley who plays Trash.

Oasis Live by the Sea

A 1995 concert at Southend by the group. Does exactly what it says s on the tin

The Terror (1963)

Jack Nicholson is a French officer separated from his unit who comes across a castle. Said castle is inhabited by Boris Karloff. Worth watching for Karloff alone, you also have a young Nicholson. Has a whole lot of atmosphere.

Pet Shop Boys Inner Sanctum tour

Filmed at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden in London, it is an eclectic mix of Pet Shop boys songs both familiar and less so. For fans only I would say. But not for beginners.

Foul Play

Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase star in a film about a planned assassination which Goldie unknowingly and unwittingly has details. I don't care for Chevy Chase but he is verfy effective in this. Brian Dennehy plays his partner and Burgess Meredith also features. This is worth a look if not repeat viewings. 

21 hours ago, death tribble said:

The Return of the Living Dead

Want to know where the fascination with zombies going after brains comes from ? Well here it is. The zombies are also a bit more intelligent luring paramedics and police into traps and death. Clu Galagher actually gets to stand out and star in a film for a change. The other stand out is Linnea Quigley who plays Trash.

Filmed here in Louisville, KY.

21 hours ago, death tribble said:

Foul Play

Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase star in a film about a planned assassination which Goldie unknowingly and unwittingly has details. I don't care for Chevy Chase but he is verfy effective in this. Brian Dennehy plays his partner and Burgess Meredith also features. This is worth a look if not repeat viewings. 

That thing was constantly on cable back in the day. I probably saw it 30 - 40 times back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Video Killed the Radio Star This set of episodes looked at the videos of Toyah Wilcox, Blondie, Neil Young, Robbie Williams, Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox and Duran Duran. All very nice in a 30 min format

George Ezra Live at Baloise Session There are quite a few of these sessions and this one dealt with George Ezra. He is a newer artist and this was an entertaining set.

The Rolling Stones: Sweet Summer Sun Live in Hyde Park The Rolling Stones play Hyde Park. Need I say anything more ? No. Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil were standouts.

David Bowie: The Reality Tour This was much better in my less than humble opinion than footage of the Glass Spider and Serious Moonlight. Still the records are better.

Eric Clapton Live in California: Other than the tracks he is most famous for I am not familiar with other work so this came off as flat to me.

Eric Clapton: Planes, Trains and Eric This immediately followed the Live in California concert footage and was better. Clapton is on tour in Japan and talks about performing there and finding out he was giving his 200th concert on Japanese soil which was special. Did a slowed down version of Layla which was nice but as this had a lot more of what and why he was touring this was really very good. 

Neutral Port As war breaks out the British and Germans are trying to find out what the other is doing. A merchant ship is sunk by a U-Boat and the captain vows to get his own back on the Germans. He steals a German ship and is promptly sunk. Arrested on return to the neutral country he escapes with the help of his crew, steals another German ship but lures U-Boats into a trap but is yet again sunk this time by carrier based bombers. Of its time.

A Lifetime of Comedy Clips programme showing Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Ben Turpin and Bing Crosby all doing various gags but none of the really famous ones which is nice.

Castle Sinister After the murder of a British officer the intelligence services investigate as a hooded figure may be responsible. Actually it is a spy up to no good. Dated.

Dean Martin A Legend in Concert This is a selection of Dean singing in the 1950s a selection of different songs. Passable.

Operation Diplomat: A surgeon is asked to operate on a man and to keep it quiet. But then when he tries to find out more people start dying. Worth a look.

Overlord (1975) A black and white film looking at a British soldier going from recruitment through training to landing on D-Day where he is killed. Less a strict narrative than a musing on death. If you are looking for action, then avoid. Otherwise worth a look. 

Wolf Hall, previously featured on Masterpiece Theatre on PBS and recently made available on Amazon Prime streaming. I've always been a fan of historical dramas since the mix of history, dramatic license, and director's perspective inspires me to research more on my own for additional insight.

It was definitely a talented all-star cast depicting the political rise of Thomas Cromwell and his rivalry with Sir (later Saint) Thomas More during the reign of King Henry VIII in a first-rate production. 🙂

I've been making my way through Star Trek: The Next Generation, and today's episode is "Tapestry", the one where Captain Picard gets to go back in time to try to avoid getting impaled in a bar fight.

I have to say although I have enjoyed this episode in the past, I've never really appreciated how well Patrick Stewart and John de Lancie play off each other. It's a thing of beauty.