What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Yup, that's where I first saw it. Only took me one episode to get hooked and two episodes for me to order the season one DVDs ;)

I may keep watching the show on CBS just to see how they work around nudity later in the series.

Like season two's infamous "Pardon my (common slang for breasts)."

Hm' date=' for some reason that makes me want to go watch my copy of [i']Sword of Doom[/i]. Love that movie.

OK. I love that movie too, but what's up with the ending. Did they just get tired of making the movie and quit? Did they run out of film? Great movie. Weird ending.

OK. I love that movie too' date=' but what's up with the ending. Did they just get tired of making the movie and quit? Did they run out of film? Great movie. Weird ending.[/quote']

I've wondered about that myself. I heard somewhere that's it's part of a longer epic.

OK. I love that movie too' date=' but what's up with the ending. Did they just get tired of making the movie and quit? Did they run out of film? Great movie. Weird ending.[/quote']

From what I understand (and remember), it was originally supposed to be the first part of a series that was going to be at least two movies, hence starting story lines involving lesser characters that seemed kind of random, and never resolving them. Unfortunately I can't remember why it wasn't continued, may have been budget or something, it's been a few years since I did a research paper on that movie.

But I completely agree, one of my favorite samurai movies, but the ending comes very close to ruining it for me. I need more resolution!

Sukiyaki Western Django -- uhm... where to start? It's a remake(?) of the film Django by Takashi Miike. The movie was made in Japan, but all the dialogue is in English. Quentin Tarentino is in it. It takes place... uhm... in some unspecified time and pits two warring clans against each other. With guns. And katana. A long gunfighter rides into town and decides to get rid of both -- and is told to "not try and be yojimbo" in a cut nod to said classic.

The costumes, music, and scenery are really wild. The gunfights utterly over-the-top, and the action scenes a hoot. This film is not going to be for everyone, and is grade-A whacked it's true. But it's whacked in a good way.

Josh and I watched Mystery Street, an old film noir from 1950. I got it because of the setting; it was filmed on location in Harvard and on Cape Cod. Harvard Square has changed a LOT.

It struck me that it could be retitled CSI: 1950, and I wouldn't have noticed. It went into a lot of depth on the science of forensics. Ultimately, it was the cop who kept digging, even after a likely suspect had been found, who solves the case, but the doctor who discovers numerous clues along the way is what makes that possible. Fascinating stuff. Obviously a bit primitive compared to today's methods, but nonetheless quite interesting to see how we got started on looking where we do when a body is found.

I didn't expect it to pass the Bechdel test, but it did, several times over. Interesting. The batty old landlady stole the show, too.

Definitely glad my friend told me about it. Josh was really impressed, too.

Josh and I watched The Piano on Saturday. Ugh. The most interesting part was the male full-frontal nudity, and even the entertainment value of that passed quickly.

Then on Sunday we watched Charade, which was cute, but not as funny as the writers seemed to think it was. I guess you had to be there. (The timing of some lines followed the usual comedy formula, even giving a pause afterward so the laughter wouldn't drown out the next line. Awkward, when nobody laughs.)

I wonder what they did to the twist in the recent update? Or would they count on modern moviegoers to have never seen the original, and not bother changing it? I don't think I want to sit through it to see.

Spellbound, the documentary about the 1999 national spelling bee, and the 8 kids they followed to DC. Very emotionally compelling, and managed to make a spelling contest a nerve-wracking, edge-of-your-seat experience. Also, laughed where I didn't expect to, and wound up caring for these kids in a way I didn't think I would. Awesomely done.