What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

6 hours ago, zslane said:

A newly appointed marshal of a backwater planet would not have the authority to release a prisoner like Mayfield to her custody for completely unspecified and undocumented purposes.

<sarcasm, just in case>Do you want to keep hollywood from ever making anything about prisoner escapes/recants etc?

15 hours ago, slikmar said:

<sarcasm, just in case>Do you want to keep hollywood from ever making anything about prisoner escapes/recants etc?

I would have loved to see a prisoner break-out sequence. It would have been far more entertaining, and it would have made a lot more sense. But it would also have taken a lot of time out of the episode (to do properly), and they had a very important date with an Imperial terminal to focus on instead.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of catch up here

Antman

I had a hard time getting into this and stopped for a long while after his dismissal from Baskin Robbins. I do like Michael Douglas as Hank Pym.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Set in the Star Wars universe it maybe but. Something just did not ring true. You have all sorts of things that should make this work and it does not.

Thor Ragnarok

Had this in order that I could watch the Avengers movies. All sorts of goodness from Tom and Chris in their double act to the unexpected gem of Korg to Cate as Hela. Skurge's death was much better in the comics.

Black Panther

Really enjoyed this and it is a real crying shame that we lost Chadwick. I would have kept Klaw but I understand the killing off of Kilmonger. And back up cast in Bassett and Whitaker.

Captain Marvell

I read the reprints of the original Captain Marvel in British produced editions along with Planet of the Apes and had a fondness for the character pre-nega bands. So we still have Yon Rogg but no Medic Una. And the whole bit with the cat and the Skrulls getv a proper introduction. Seeing Coulson and Fury was a delight. I liked.

Avengers Infinity War

Not as rewatchable as others in the franchise and Loki getting killed as long as a lot of Asgardians was a bit much particularly after the previous Thor film. But then you have everyone meeting up and the inevitable fights. I was really glad that one of the Thanos minions bit the dust (no pun intended) by getting a spacewalk as I found him annoying. Getting the Vision, Scarlet Witch and Cap back was good and having the fight end up in Wakanda made sense. Nice little cameo for Peter Dinklage. And interesting to see the Hulk beaten and then refuse to come out. But what you have to do to get the stones and then the snap. You need to see the others first before you see this.

Avengers Endgame

So Thanos gets taken down quickly ? And then we spend the rest of the time trying to restore normality while Thanos tries to do it again. After his absence from the first film, it was nice to see Hawkeye get a more central role. And we lose Black Widow which is upsetting. And Iron Man and Cap. But Thanos is gone for good. It ties things up nicely but to see a whole slew of people from previous films like Robert Redford and Tilda Swinton was a treat.

I'm only missing Antman and the Wasp and Spiderman Far From Home now.

Blood Red Sky - another take on "not Evil" vamps.  So so.

Gunpowder Milkshake - this was a hoot!  I really enjoyed it

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway - I really liked this Gundam show, too bad  it wasn't a series.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final - good ending to the series.

20 hours ago, Spence said:

Blood Red Sky - another take on "not Evil" vamps.  So so.

Gunpowder Milkshake - this was a hoot!  I really enjoyed it

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway - I really liked this Gundam show, too bad  it wasn't a series.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final - good ending to the series.

Where'd you find Hathaway?

Evangelion 4.4 in three days on Amazon Prime.

Ok just finished Evangelion 3.0+1.0 and it was excellent.

It begins with a recap which is well done and needed since it's been nine years since the last movie and progresses into an action sequence that has been featured in the previews. From there it's all gorgeous unseen footage. Visually, the only flaw is the overuse of CGI in the fights.

The story is pure Evangelion, which can be somewhat confusing(Do not start the series here. Amazon Prime acquired the entire movie series) But it manages to develop every main character in a way that gives progress and closure to their stories. It even settles the romantic ships in satisfactory manners. 

Overall, i rate it an 8.5. The CGI costs a point(it's good CGI but they should have found the budget yo do more cell work) and  another half point because no movie can live up to the anticipation of a nine year wait.

• 2 weeks later...

—————————— NO SPOILERS ————————————

I just watched the third installment of “What If”.   I can’t even call it by name because that would give away too much.

As always the voices were great with some unexpected guest stars. But the story this time left me with more questions than answers.  And not in a good way. 
    It’s a personal bias that a good mystery should give you enough clues to put it all together beforehand, but that’s just me. And the ending made no sense and requires a huge leap in either good sense on the part of someone who should know better or as a largish jump forward in time to see the result from a bad decision made with little choice.

While the episode as a whole is one I think everyone will enjoy,  If I were to keep a list of my favorites however, this one would be last.

Being stuck at a friend's house due to fire evacuation, we ended up watching Enola Holmes. As is known, I am a pretty low bar for entertainment,but for some reason, any good parts of the . Movie were lost on me due to, imo, the complete bastardization of Mycroft. He was so NOT Mycroft as written. Okay, personal mini rant over.

Rome Unpacked

An art historian and a chef go around Rome looking at art and cooking. This is fascinating as you get looks at things you can't see normally. There is a room in the French embassy which is the home of the extinct Farenese family. It looks at the Jewish ghetto as well. This is a 2 part Tv documentary and it is wonderful.

Batwoman series 2

Losing Ruby Rose what do you do and this is the answer. It means that by the end of the season you destroy the Crows and all of the Kate Kane bits. It is not too bad and you have Black Mask as the main foe for the season and a tie in to Alice. I kept watching it and to be honest I will stay with it. Batwoman is now African American. We will see where the writing goes from here.

Going a Bundle Venice

This was something done in the 70s with Harry Fowler and James Villiers giving you a chalk a cheese take on the city. It is of its time but it is still good. It looks at the city and why it is good. I like Italy so I liked it.

Tankers

Based on the true story of one KV1 tank taking on a whole load of enemy tanks particularly Panzer IV and III. The tanks have side armour that they would not have had but it is still not bad. There is a dispute to the tank commander and a political officer. But the commander is more pragmatic. It's not that bad.

Rampage

It's a Dwayne Johnson film. Giant monsters come to Chicago to destroy it. Just fun.

Cold Pursuit

This is the American version of In Order of Disappearance. Liam Neesum is a road clearer in Colorado. His son is killed and Liam sets out on revenge. The drug gang responsible think that another gang is responsible and they fight them instead. This is a black comedy. The original is better but this is not bad.

We recently subscribed to HBOMax, so we found a lot we enjoy. It's like starting all over with Netflix again!

Doom Patrol is awesome. We're about half a dozen episodes into the first season. It's got a good story and good characters, plus moments of absolute hilarity.

Harley Quinn, the adult-oriented animated TV show, is good as well. We're about halfway through the second season. They're poking fun at the gamergate types as well as the "women are always victims / all men are predators" types.

The Suicide Squad was so, so much better than the previous movies. Worth a month's subscription all by itself.

Made for Love is kind of an extended Black Mirror episode and it's pretty great. And it's the only thing I've enjoyed seeing Ray Romano in. Hoping it doesn't all fall apart in season 2.

Hacks is...just ok. It starts out kinda meh, but after a few episodes it's gotten funnier.

The Flight Attendant was freaking awesome. Really good characters, great use of humor, and lots of thrills. Looking forward to season 2.

Staying where we are with near unlimited internet finally got to watch the Witcher, fabulous, especially for someone who read the books.

watching umbrella academy now, like it so far.

saw the protege in theater. Enjoyed it, seemed fairly smartly written. Only annoyance was the casting of Keaton in the role he played. He did a good job and the part is intelligent, but I really felt the age difference of he and Maggie.