What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Watched "Star Wars Visions. Basically Anime Studios takes on The Star Wars Mythos. Wide Ranging from humorous to Dark.  overall quality was good, but there were a couple I didn't find all that good. All of them were short, but had a fairly wide range of styles. I definitely could recommend them, Samurai and Jedi have a very significant crossover.

• 2 weeks later...

Noble House

The 80s adaptation of James Clavell's book brought the story upto the 80s instead of the 60s. Pierce Brosnan is the Taipan of the Noble House battling to keep the company going against John Rhys Davis who wants to bring him down. Enter an American who has been secretly dealing with the son of Brosnan's Chinese confidante. This guy tries playing off both Brosnan and Rhys. His deputy is falling in love with Brosnan. Brosnan also gas to honour any claim by any person holding half a broken coin. And when this coin falls into the hands of the Chinese Mafia in Hong Kong. Nice to see the guy who played Wo Fat in Hawaii 5 O (original series) in this. Rather pedestrian really.

Keep on Burning

Northern Soul in Britain. So called because it was about soul music played in all nighters in clubs in the North of England. A lot of black American artists like Edwin Starr came over and played regularly. Edwin was very happy to credit the scene with keeping him going and fed. Interesting spotlight on a scene that is referred to but not often in detail, this was enjoyable and informative.

Bowie: The Man Who Changed the World

A documentary about David Bowie covering all his life and how what he did affected others. Only for Bowie lovers.

The Devil's Men

A priest brings in a detective from America when three young people go missing on a Greek island. Guess what ? They are being sacrificed to the Minotaur ! By evil Baron Peter Cushing no less ! Donald Pleasence is the priest. This was a Greek made horror film from 1976. The two British stars are what it is memorable for.

Circus of Fear

A raid on a security van results in one of the guards being killed as the other is in league with the robbers. The gang split up by are caught by the police apart from the renegade guard who is killed by the guy who planned the job. But the trail leads to a circus. Christopher Lee is in the cast as is Leo Genn as a police inspector. Worth one look.

Venom

Finally saw this as it was on earthbound TV. Have to say, not bad. Tom Hardy was good. And the idea of the symbiote and Eddie talking to each other was fun. I'm not going to see the sequel but this was ok.

Hangman's Wharf

This is a 1950 British picture about a doctor who find himself framed for murder after receiving a call about an incident on a ship at dock on the aforementioned Wharf. Worth a look.

The Brain that Would Not Die

After his girlfriend is killed in a car crash her surgeon boyfriend saves her head so he can put it on another body. Rather silly but then there is the monster in the closet.

Trapped

Lloyd Bridges was sent down for funny money. Now someone is using the plates he had and would not give up. The treasury tries to get him to help them. He double crosses them. But the Treasury Agents get their man eventually.

The Indestructible Man

Lon Chaney Jnr is executed thanks to his lawyer and two henchmen who grassed on him. After he is put to death, he is revived by a scientist who he then kills. He then goes on a rampage after those that betrayed him and also the money from the robbery that got him sebnt down ($600,000).

The Four Corned Triangle

This is an early Hammer Horror (before Dracula and Frankenstein by 4 years). Two scientists make a reproducer but when one wants to marry the girl they both love, the other scientist has her duplicated. But it does not end well.

Man on a Tightrope

Based on the true story of a German circus who escaped to the West in 1950, this is about a Czech circus whose owner decides to flee to the West with his troupe. However is there a traitor in the company ? Cameron Mitchell, Robert Boone, Gloria Graeme and Frederic M<arch are in the cast. This is really worth a look.

39 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Noble House

The 80s adaptation of James Clavell's book brought the story upto the 80s instead of the 60s. Pierce Brosnan is the Taipan of the Noble House battling to keep the company going against John Rhys Davis who wants to bring him down. Enter an American who has been secretly dealing with the son of Brosnan's Chinese confidante. This guy tries playing off both Brosnan and Rhys. His deputy is falling in love with Brosnan. Brosnan also gas to honour any claim by any person holding half a broken coin. And when this coin falls into the hands of the Chinese Mafia in Hong Kong. Nice to see the guy who played Wo Fat in Hawaii 5 O (original series) in this. Rather pedestrian really.

Keep on Burning

Northern Soul in Britain. So called because it was about soul music played in all nighters in clubs in the North of England. A lot of black American artists like Edwin Starr came over and played regularly. Edwin was very happy to credit the scene with keeping him going and fed. Interesting spotlight on a scene that is referred to but not often in detail, this was enjoyable and informative.

Bowie: The Man Who Changed the World

A documentary about David Bowie covering all his life and how what he did affected others. Only for Bowie lovers.

The Devil's Men

A priest brings in a detective from America when three young people go missing on a Greek island. Guess what ? They are being sacrificed to the Minotaur ! By evil Baron Peter Cushing no less ! Donald Pleasence is the priest. This was a Greek made horror film from 1976. The two British stars are what it is memorable for.

Circus of Fear

A raid on a security van results in one of the guards being killed as the other is in league with the robbers. The gang split up by are caught by the police apart from the renegade guard who is killed by the guy who planned the job. But the trail leads to a circus. Christopher Lee is in the cast as is Leo Genn as a police inspector. Worth one look.

Venom

Finally saw this as it was on earthbound TV. Have to say, not bad. Tom Hardy was good. And the idea of the symbiote and Eddie talking to each other was fun. I'm not going to see the sequel but this was ok.

I’m a big fan of Noble House. I nabbed the VHS version at a Blockbuster bin sale a long time ago. (As if you couldn’t tell) I think it’s funny that they used make up to age Pierce Brosnan into his 40’s for the story and he looks better now that he’s in his real life 60’s.

Dune (Villeneuve version, HBO Max)

Jesus Christ this movie is gorgeous.  Literally every frame is suitable for wall mounting.  Having seen Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I expected the film to be visually appealing, but I did not stop being blown away until the credits were rolling.

Villeneuve sticks pretty closely to the Lynch script, to the point where the dialogue in certain scenes is identical.  It's a little weird but I was too busy being floored by the visuals to care.  Most of the plot tweaks are improvements, but not all.  You can tell that Villeneuve is struggling with total runtime.  Perhaps the biggest change is that this Paul is really uncomfortable with his role as messiah, which will pay off if they film the next book.

Anon (Clive Owen/Amanda Seyfried, Netflix)

If you like slow burn, high concept sf, this is the film for you.  In a reality where augmented reality and memory control are built directly into the brain, Clive Owen's police detective character pursues a hacker who can literally control what people see and remember.  And you thought Facebook was evil!  Understated and intimate, this film was a nice surprise.

Squid Game (Netflix)

I'm a big fan of this genre.  Despite the glaring plot holes, this series remains gripping as we watch some well realized characters work through some truly horrific scenarios.  Unlike the Hunger Games, which was a heavy handed allegory of our relationship with the media, Squid Game is a heavy handed allegory of late stage capitalism.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, Pariah said:

I finally got around to watching Ant-Man and Ant-Man and The Wasp on Disney+. 

Scott Lang may be the best superhero dad ever. 

MCU dads are hit or miss.

Scott Lang: Awesome.

Clint Barton: Awesome, if less fun.

Hank Pym: Flawed.

Odin: Well...

Thanos: Okay wait

Ego: STAHP

Trilogy of Terror: Karen Black in four roles through three stories. All are entertaining, but the last one is the one everyone remembers. (Amazon Prime Video)

House on Haunted Hill: Classic supernatural horror about a group of people trying survive the night in a haunted house. Vincent Price leads the cast. (Amazon Prime Video)

Ghostbusters: The original, and still the best. (Movies Anywhere via Vudu*)

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call: Parts of it are really good, other parts feel like a sketch that should have been cut for time from SNL. Oddly enough, the extended cut flows a bit better than the theatrical cut. (Movies Anywhere via Vudu)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Always a good watch. (Hulu)

*Because I was too lazy to pull out the discs.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

MCU dads are hit or miss.

Scott Lang: Awesome.

Clint Barton: Awesome, if less fun.

Hank Pym: Flawed.

Odin: Well...

Thanos: Okay wait

Ego: STAHP

Odin is a great dad considering he is balancing protecting 9 planetary civilisations (some intent to destroy him) as well as being a monarch. Both Thor & Loki turned out good (Loki in the end) and he disciplined Hela (sent her to the ‘naughty corner’). 

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

House on Haunted Hill: Classic supernatural horror about a group of people trying survive the night in a haunted house. Vincent Price leads the cast. (Amazon Prime Video)

I always confuse this with another classic horror, mainly because I can't remember the title. The one you watched is great. I think the one I think of is that a man is dared by his friends to stay in a haunted house. turns out someone lives there (vampires if I remember). He falls in love with the daughter(?) and the scene that sticks with me is them trying to escape and her basically aging to dust as they run. He gets outside the gates and they close behind him. As his friends drive up, you see him standing there in front of the gates and realize they have got him with their foot long or so spikes.

41 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I always confuse this with another classic horror, mainly because I can't remember the title. The one you watched is great. I think the one I think of is that a man is dared by his friends to stay in a haunted house. turns out someone lives there (vampires if I remember). He falls in love with the daughter(?) and the scene that sticks with me is them trying to escape and her basically aging to dust as they run. He gets outside the gates and they close behind him. As his friends drive up, you see him standing there in front of the gates and realize they have got him with their foot long or so spikes.

That sounds so familiar, but I'm also at a loss for a title.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Old Man said:

Jesus Christ this movie is gorgeous.  Literally every frame is suitable for wall mounting.  Having seen Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I expected the film to be visually appealing, but I did not stop being blown away until the credits were rolling.

Villeneuve sticks pretty closely to the Lynch script, to the point where the dialogue in certain scenes is identical.  It's a little weird but I was too busy being floored by the visuals to care.  Most of the plot tweaks are improvements, but not all.  You can tell that Villeneuve is struggling with total runtime.  Perhaps the biggest change is that this Paul is really uncomfortable with his role as messiah, which will pay off if they film the next book.

There are reports that WB is soon going to greenlight the next installment of the saga if it hasn't already, based in part on strong steaming ratings and a good foreign box office haul.

I saw it in the theater on Friday afternoon (I needed a break from life). Some of the visuals were quite impressive. And the film was very well designed, well-crafter, and somewhat well-acted.  A quality production. And I didn;t enjoy a minute of it. The main problem for me was a distressing lack of color.

Before I saw it I did not know if these were the right times for a big-screen Dune.  I still don't. (I should admit that I attended an early afternoon matinee where the intended audience was either working or in school.

Watched Dune on HBO Max.

I was impressed. They stuck pretty much to the book without getting bogged down in the inner monologues. Something the Lynch version couldn't resist doing wrong on both . It's pretty and well paced. A solid 7.5 of 10.

My Hero Academia: World Heroes Movie on Friday. Check your local cinemas if you are going out.

14 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Watched Dune on HBO Max.

I was impressed. They stuck pretty much to the book without getting bogged down in the inner monologues. Something the Lynch version couldn't resist doing wrong on both . It's pretty and well paced. A solid 7.5 of 10.

My Hero Academia: World Heroes Movie on Friday. Check your local cinemas if you are going out.

I haven't seen it myself, but all of my friends that read the original book liked it and are looking forward to part 2.   

The people I know that watched but had never read the book said it was just OK because the plot was unclear. 

There were a couple broken people that tried to use the horrendous debacle of Lynch as a standard for the movie, but small children and fools ..........

I love Dune Part 1.  It has visual spectacle, a great Hans Zimmer score, solid acting, and tells a complex story of many characters without becoming an info dump or confusing. I recommend people to watch it in IMAX, and hope enough see it so the producers greenlight a Dune Part 2

On 10/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Old Man said:

2 hours ago, King Red said:

I love Dune Part 1.  It has visual spectacle, a great Hans Zimmer score, solid acting, and tells a complex story of many characters without becoming an info dump or confusing. I recommend people to watch it in IMAX, and hope enough see it so the producers greenlight a Dune Part 2

Dune Part 2 is in the works for October 2023 exclusive theatrical release: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/dune-part-two-works-warner-bros-confirms-n1282437

Dune Part 1: Good visuals, oddly flat presentation. I think that I like the David Lynch version better. (HBO Max)

Free Guy: GTA game from the point-of-view of the NPCs. (4K UHD)

Something Wicked This Way Comes: A good adaptation of the Ray Bradbury novel of the same name, this one fared poorly at the box office mostly due to Disney not knowing how to market it. There's a lot of scenes where shades of black and dark grey figure prominently, the Blu-ray transfer doesn't have the color banding present on the DVD release in those scenes. (Blu-ray)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: A mask-maker has a trick for everyone on Halloween. (Blu-ray)