What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Finally watched Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Disney+). I enjoyed it. There are some really nice bits, and I appreciate that they included a lot of different story beats. It was definitely the most true to the Dr. Strange comics I remember from my youth, and that was nice to see.

Also watched Deadwood: The Movie (HBOMax): It was about as satisfying as the Farscape movie. Meaning, it was necessary and enjoyable and did what it needed to do, but oh man do I wish there had been another full season.

Watched the first two episodes of S2 of Warrior (HBOMax) and it's turning into a bit too much of a melodrama for us, so we're going to stop watching at this point, having enjoyed season 1.

Also tried out a couple of series we missed a while back, Chuck and The OC (HBOMax). Neither turned out to really be our kind of thing. The OC seems well done, but that sort of family melodrama isn't really our thing. Chuck has some good gags, but otherwise it seems like a kinda dumb show to us.

Just finished the 6th episode of Ms. Marvel , and I enjoyed it immensely. (Disney+)

On a more violent note, I've also finished season 3 of The Boys, which teased plot arcs for a season 4. I liked it, but more for the overall cringe factor of the "heroes". (Amazon Prime)

And for something different, I've finished the last episode of the 4th season of Holey Moley, a contest show based upon "extreme mini-golf". It's just a lot of fun. (Hulu)

Moonraker: This was the first Bond film that I remember watching in theaters, and was the last one that I was able to watch with my Dad, who was a huge fan of the series. Dad's been gone for over 40 years now, but this movie brings up some happy memories. (Amazon Prime)

Hot Shots! Part Deux: I like this one a bit more than the first, but it's definitely a product of its time. (HBOmax)

The Man with the Golden Gun: Second Bond film with Roger Moore. The film's pretty good, and it's always fun to see Christopher Lee chew up the scenery. (Amazon Prime)

On 6/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, Pariah said:

If you look up the definition of "bittersweet ending", I think you'll find the description of yesterday's episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Meanwhile, I've seen the rise of two controversies surrounding the said show on social media, namely:

1) The 'wokeness' of SNW (which I personally find hilarious, because if you didn't know that the entire premise of Star Trek is 'woke', you simply haven't been paying attention for the past half century), and 

Did nobody watch the 60s episode where the guy who is half black half white, split down the middle is at war with the other guy who is half black half white split down the middle but with the colors on opposite sides?  And they each think the other is racially inferior?

Or the one from TNG where a local sees Dr Crusher heal a crewmember & immediately starts a new religion worshiping Picard and decides to sacrifice Troi so that his new god will magically keep the storms away?

Or the DS9 where Sisko has a vision of himself as a pulp sci-fi author in the 1930s who experiences viscous, violent, racism and has his best work pulped because he dared to write about a future where Black Men can be captains of space stations?

Trek was never subtle with it's wokeness.

I'm loving Strange New Worlds.  Its the first Trek that actually feels like Trek to me since the 90s.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, Pariah said:

2) Is Captain Pike sexy in spite of his ridiculous hair, or because of it?

Asking the important questions.

Edit: Upon further reflection... I think it's the fact that he keeps going into new situations with that hair and demanding respect shows a level of confidence that most people can't help but find sexy.

2 hours ago, Jhamin said:

Or the DS9 where Sisko has a vision of himself as a pulp sci-fi author in the 1930s who experiences viscous, violent, racism and has his best work pulped because he dared to write about a future where Black Men can be captains of space stations?

"Far Beyond the Stars" is one of the greatest episodes ever ... not just of DS9, not just of the Star Trek franchise, but of any television series, ever.

We stayed up way too late watching Thor: Ragnarok the other night. I had seen it once before (during my COVID-19 - induced vacation), but Lady P had never seen it. Fun show, good balance of humor, drama, and gratuitous comic book violence.

16 hours ago, Jhamin said:

Did nobody watch the 60s episode where the guy who is half black half white, split down the middle is at war with the other guy who is half black half white split down the middle but with the colors on opposite sides?  And they each think the other is racially inferior?

Or the one from TNG where a local sees Dr Crusher heal a crewmember & immediately starts a new religion worshiping Picard and decides to sacrifice Troi so that his new god will magically keep the storms away?

Trek was never subtle with it's wokeness.

I'm loving Strange New Worlds.  Its the first Trek that actually feels like Trek to me since the 90s.

Asking the important questions.

I just ran into this with my right wing coworker who says today's star trek is more woke than the first ones. I'm going to say maybe his attitude changed over the years with his conservatism. 

CES 

Went and saw Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank. I try to do a movie each week to give me somewhere to go 1nce a week. It is basically Blazing Saddles if Clevon Little's Sheriff was Hong Kong Fooey (meaning not really competent, especially at start, and not that bright).

Men in Black: Sony just re-released a 4K version in SteelBook packaging for the 25th anniversary. Picture quality is very good and reminds me of watching it in the theater for the first time. The Atmos sound mix is excellent, and it makes great use of both the positional audio effects and the height channels. Recommended. (4K UHD Blu-ray)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: "Lamb to the Slaughter". Roald Dahl adapted his short story for this episode of the classic show, which was also directed by Hitchcock himself. Barbara Bel Geddes and Harold J. Stone star. It's been a favorite story of mine since I first read it many decades ago, and this version is very enjoyable. (Included in the Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection box set)

Having a little more free time than anticipated the last couple of days, I finally got to watch Moon Knight. I like it quite a lot. I always thought Moon Knight was one of the more interesting characters in the comics, and Oscar Isaac did an amazing job playing the two sides of the character. Ethan Hawke's character made for a compelling foil. Obviously the guy and what he stood for were completely out of line, but I can see how someone could be drawn in by that philosophy. The final battle between the gods and their avatars was suitably impressive. It was good to see Khonshu victorious, even though he's kind of a d*ck.

And I have to say that while I was not expecting that mid credit scene in the final episode, I totally should have seen it coming.