What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Hudson Hawk wasn't a Die Hard or a Unbreakable but it was way better than Ishtar and Waterworld. It was oscar material compared to either of those two movies.

Perhaps it was because I saw it at a dollar theatre, I liked Hudson Hawk. I'd certainly watch it again.

I also liked Waterworld, although it certainly wasn't great cinema.

Now, Saving Private Ryan, there was a bad movie on the level of Ishtar, Unoriginal plot and characters, forgettable dialogue. Any two hours of Combat! or Rat Patrol would have been better.

Perhaps it was because I saw it at a dollar theatre, I liked Hudson Hawk. I'd certainly watch it again.

I also liked Waterworld, although it certainly wasn't great cinema.

Now, Saving Private Ryan, there was a bad movie on the level of Ishtar, Unoriginal plot and characters, forgettable dialogue. Any two hours of Combat! or Rat Patrol would have been better.

My friend, my wife, and I went to see Water World together at the theater. They could not stop the wisecracking from beginning to end.

I haven't seen Private Ryan but I had heard it was based on real events.

CES

Still don't know what you mean by the comment: "Although it's no Last Boy Scout" in comparison to Hudson Hawk.

:confused: (stil)

It was a bit tongue-jn-cheek, saying that one not-well-regarded movie was notably better than another not-well-regarded movie. However, I did like LBS more than HH.

MarkDoc and I had a double feature of Dog Soldiers and The Host.

Dog Soldiers was great, probably the best "military vs monsters" movie I've seen.

As for The Host ... which one? IMDb shows multiple movies by that title.

Dog Soldiers was great, probably the best "military vs monsters" movie I've seen.

As for The Host ... which one? IMDb shows multiple movies by that title.

I'd have to rank Aliens as number one in that regard.

As for The Host, it was the Korean one.

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend' date=' for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.[/quote']

I just have to ask how can you possibly be viewing this for the first time? I don't know why but I find that stunning.

My partner, who is hard of hearing, saw it a couple monhts ago for the first time since we got closed captioning. He says he never really understood before why it was such a classic, now he loves it!

He also now recognizes when I'm quoting the Cowardly Lion. I played the part in a community theater production when I was less than half my current age. I could still do it cold. (But then again, so could most Gay men.)

I'd have to rank Aliens as number one in that regard.

Although I liked Aliens, the colonial marines were, for the most part, too undisciplined. The British troops in Dog Soldiers were much better in keeping to their training and discipline, which is enough for me to rank Dog Soldiers higher.

MarkDoc and I had a double feature of Dog Soldiers and The Host.

Yep, and both well worth the time invested! I think I'll pick up a copy of the Host.

I did some DVD shopping on Saturday and picked up a bunch of movies that were on special. I watched one of them - Curse of the Golden Flower - again. It's no Hero, but the final battle scenes are still awesome on steroids.

cheers, Mark

I had a "70's Horror Weekend" -- watched Grizzly, Day of the Animals, Devil Dog: Hound of Hell, and Zoltan: Hound of Dracula, and was stunned to realize that they were even worse than I remembered.

For instance, it's not the extra ozone that makes all the animals murderous in DotA, it's a virus created by extra solar radiation that affects them. A virus that we don't learn about until literally the last line of the film. It's also a virus that affects spiders, bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, rats, bears, wolves, dogs, and humans in the exact same way. Which really conflicts with what I know of biology.

And the vampire dogs in Zoltan were just comical in a really bad way. Especially the vampire puppy. What's he gonna do, suck blood from your ankles?

Fantastic choice for a double feature.

The selection process was easy -- he hadn't seen either. ^_^

I also think Dog Soldiers/Aliens or Dog Soldiers/Brotherhood of the Wolf make fine double features. ^_^

Fantastic choice for a double feature.

Yep. Props to Mike. Last night I watched 28 Days After, which was a bit formulaic, but reasonable fun. Tonight I watched the first discs of Witch Hunter Robin.

Oh and on the topic of movies, Mike, the place I got my latest haul has both Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengance :eg:

cheers, Mark

I watched the 2004 Dawn of the Dead. Not bad, but I like slower, shuffling zombies. I also think the original Night does a better job of brining the suspense up and the character development. Still, not bad. On the other hand, I own 28 Days Later, and the fast zombies work there because they aren't zombies! They are adrenaline fueled rageoids!

Josh and I are on season six of Smallville. We like this season. :thumbup:

We've just gotten to the episode where Lois almost figures out Green Arrow's secret ID. I thought Josh and I were going to die laughing.

Unfortunately, Lana is still in it. I grumbled to myself about it last night, and concluded that the show is Smallville, not The Amazing Adventures of Emo Clark.

Josh and I are on season six of Smallville. We like this season. :thumbup:

We've just gotten to the episode where Lois almost figures out Green Arrow's secret ID. I thought Josh and I were going to die laughing.

Unfortunately, Lana is still in it. I grumbled to myself about it last night, and concluded that the show is Smallville, not The Amazing Adventures of Emo Clark.

If it makes you feel any better, Lana's going to be out for the 8th season on. Though so will Lex and Chloe, so not sure what the show's even going to be do, but ah well.