What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I recently stumbled across Classic Cinema Online (http://www.classiccinemaonline.com/a/index.php), and have been watching some select films from their archive.

First I saw Dawn of the Dead (2004), which wasn't on the Classic Cinema Online website. Overall I liked it. I saw the extended DVD version, and was surprised by the general lack of blood and gore (relatively speaking). I'm not sure about fast zombies (I think the mindless, shuffling undead are more frightening simply because they are slow but tireless), as they reminded me of the rage-infected from 28 Days Later (who were scary!) I'd like to see Romero's original now.

Having seen one zombie movie (and having read World War Z, I knew it was time to see another, so I went to Classic Cinema Online and watched Night Of The Living Dead (1968). Still good, even if it's 40 years old, with the people trapped in the house just as, if not more, dangerous to each other as the walking dead outside. I now want to see the 1990 Tom Savini remake.

Poking around Classic Cinema Online I found The Deadly Mantis, in which a prehistoric 200' (or so) preying mantis is thawed out of Arctic ice, wakes up and goes on a rampage. This film is laughably bad (and dull). There's a lot of ponderous VO as we see the 1950s DEWEY line, radar, jets, and the like. There's way too little mantis, and what we do see is usually it flying. It barely wrecks anything and doesn't eat enough people. It also has a mammalian mouth (with a lower jaw), as opposed to mandibles. All I kept thinking while watching was "I wanna see the WETA Workshop version of this!" with the proper amount of carnage.

I then watched Tarantula, which is far better (but that's not saying much). However it's a great example of 50's atomic monster cinema, and could be pressed in service as a later Golden Age, early Silver Age, or even a Pulp-era plot with no problems. There's more of the monster, and they use some double-exposure tricks to put a real spider in the scenes. It wrecks all sorts of havoc, smashes a house, and tosses a car. Over all not bad. Oh, and it has Clint Eastwood in his first movie appearance.

Last night I saw The Rocketeer, which was fun. I never read the GN, which I understand starred Doc Savage, but otherwise it's a nice light pulp-era story. You have a renamed Errol Flynn, a Rondo Hatten stand in, WC Fields, Jennifer Connely in a low-cut dress, Nazis, mobsters, G-men, and Howard Hughes. What's not to like?

Oh, it seems Classic Cinema Online is now showing The Blob. Hmm.....

Last night I saw The Rocketeer, which was fun. I never read the GN, which I understand starred Doc Savage, but otherwise it's a nice light pulp-era story. You have a renamed Errol Flynn, a Rondo Hatten stand in, WC Fields, Jennifer Connely in a low-cut dress, Nazis, mobsters, G-men, and Howard Hughes. What's not to like?

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies of all time. I actually dressed up as him like three years in a row when I was very young. Milk jug rocket pack and everything.

I just bought : Duck You Sucker!, Ghost in the Shell II, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Versus. Of these, I have seen Duck You Sucker!, Ghost in the Shell II, and Tokyo Godfathers,. Aren't 40% off for up to 3 DVDs from Borders nice?

I missed one -- I bought Curse of the Golden Flower , which I haven't seen yet either, but it was directed by Tsui Hark and has Chow Yun Fat in it.

I recently stumbled across Classic Cinema Online (http://www.classiccinemaonline.com/a/index.php), and have been watching some select films from their archive.

Nice site. I watched _It! The Terror From Beyond Space_ (a decent movie and a forerunner of _Alien_), _Them!_ (possibly the definative giant atomic bug movie_. and the first half of _Go For Broke!_ (WWII movie about the 442nd combat regiment, composed almost entirely of Japanese-American volunteers).

Unlike hulu.com, I have to resize my screen to watch the movies and you can't watch fullscreen. Oh well. At least unlike hulu.com, there aren't commercial breaks in the movies.

I recently stumbled across Classic Cinema Online (http://www.classiccinemaonline.com/a/index.php)' date=' and have been watching some select films from their archive.[/quote']

Thanks for this link! It sounds like a real treasure trove.

Poking around Classic Cinema Online I found The Deadly Mantis, in which a prehistoric 200' (or so) preying mantis is thawed out of Arctic ice, wakes up and goes on a rampage. This film is laughably bad (and dull). There's a lot of ponderous VO as we see the 1950s DEWEY line, radar, jets, and the like. There's way too little mantis, and what we do see is usually it flying. It barely wrecks anything and doesn't eat enough people. It also has a mammalian mouth (with a lower jaw), as opposed to mandibles. All I kept thinking while watching was "I wanna see the WETA Workshop version of this!" with the proper amount of carnage.

I then watched Tarantula, which is far better (but that's not saying much). However it's a great example of 50's atomic monster cinema, and could be pressed in service as a later Golden Age, early Silver Age, or even a Pulp-era plot with no problems. There's more of the monster, and they use some double-exposure tricks to put a real spider in the scenes. It wrecks all sorts of havoc, smashes a house, and tosses a car. Over all not bad. Oh, and it has Clint Eastwood in his first movie appearance.

I saw both those films as a lad. I liked DM, but Tarantula scared the ever-loving cr*p out of me. But really, a spider that roars as it closes in on its victims?

Last night I saw The Rocketeer' date=' which was fun. I never read the GN, which I understand starred Doc Savage, but otherwise it's a nice light pulp-era story. You have a renamed Errol Flynn, a Rondo Hatten stand in, WC Fields, Jennifer Connely in a low-cut dress, Nazis, mobsters, G-men, and Howard Hughes. What's not to like?[/quote']

The GN didn't have Doc Savage, but it did have Monk and Ham, though they went by their real names. It was surprising to see just how competent they were on their own.

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies of all time. I actually dressed up as him like three years in a row when I was very young. Milk jug rocket pack and everything.
Yeah fun film. I like Alan Arkin as the hero's mentor as well ("PV" is it ?) he gets some good lines as well. Rocketeer in full costume, about to take off "How do I look "?

P V : "Like a hood ornament !" :) What's not to like !

Yeah fun film. I like Alan Arkin as the hero's mentor as well ("PV" is it ?) he gets some good lines as well. Rocketeer in full costume, about to take off "How do I look "?

P V : "Like a hood ornament !" :) What's not to like !

"Peeve."

Just watched National Treasure: Book of Secrets. I can honestly say that I liked the first one better. NT:BoS was mostly entertaining, but either I am feeling numb or the bad guys didn't feel properly bad guy-ish to me. In the end, the bad guy (played by Ed Harris) could have just as easily joined up with our heroes from the beginning and avoided an unnecessary car chase. Almost seemed like two characters.

Of course, I liked the whole clue following thing. That is one of my favorite tropes in movies. My suspension of disbelief was just a bit too stretched with the whole Mezoamerican treasure city in North America. Very distinctly North America. Like almost Canada North America.

In the sums, it was a fairly entertaining movie. Unlike the first one, it will probably spend more time on the shelf instead of in my DVD player.

If it makes you feel any better' date=' Lana's going to be out for the 8th season on. Though so will Lex and Chloe, so not sure what the show's even going to be do, but ah well.[/quote']

Is Chloe FOR SURE not gonna be in season eight? I knew it was looking iffy, but I was hoping she'd be there.

'Cause as far as I'm concerned it's The Adventures of Chloe Sullivan, Hot Hot Hot Reporter--Oh, And Her Big Dumb Alien Pal Clark.

If they expect me to stick around when Lionel, Lex AND Chloe are gone, they're sadly mistaken....

Is Chloe FOR SURE not gonna be in season eight? I knew it was looking iffy, but I was hoping she'd be there.

'Cause as far as I'm concerned it's The Adventures of Chloe Sullivan, Hot Hot Hot Reporter--Oh, And Her Big Dumb Alien Pal Clark.

If they expect me to stick around when Lionel, Lex AND Chloe are gone, they're sadly mistaken....

UPDATE! Well, kinda. Apparently she changed her mind and will be staying on. Totally agree though, she's the best thing in that show. But seriously, Kristen Bell needs to guest star as Chloe's other, awesomely hot cousin.

Radioactive Dreams. I'm not sure how to describe this movie. It's part post-apocalypse, part detective noir, with a comedy filter. I liked this movie the first time I saw it, but despite coming out in 1987, still isn't on DVD. Fortunately, someone broke it into 11 parts and slapped it up on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see... I have recently seen:

Iron Man

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

My Name Is Trinity

Trinity Is Still My Name!

My Name Is Nobody

Once Upon A Time In The West

We Were Soldiers

Curse of the Golden Flower

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see......!

I finished watching Top Chef season 4 finale last night.....I don't know how to do a spoiler alert, so I won't say who won. Top is about the only reality show I watch besides GhostHunters.

I have been catching up on BSG the last couple of days I have two episodes to go.

Next up, a collection of Charlie Chan movies...I am really looking forward to those.....