What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just finished Season 2 of The 4400. Getting interesting. Too bad they canceled it.

Just watched In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale with Jason Statham and a cast of well-known but not overly talented actors, directed by Uwe Boll. Overall, not terrible on props, costumes, sets. HORRIBLE dialog. Really bad acting except for Statham, who did the best he could with his bad lines. I don't know if I'd put this one all on the direction or on the script, but any director with half a brain wouldn't have shot that script, so it's a toss up. I can't say it's the worst fantasy movie I've seen, though.

Also watched 27 Dresses. I likes Katherine Heigl. Not terrible, not great.

You can kind of tell we get two at a time, one pick for me, one for my wife. :)

Oh, also just watched Zero no Tsukaima and Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi on http://www.crunchyroll.com

Fairly decent anime about a girl who summons a guy from Tokyo to an alternate world to be her familiar. Mostly comedy. Enough funny moments to be watchable if you like lighter anime.

Just finished Season 2 of The 4400. Getting interesting. Too bad they canceled it.
Personally, I think it was Season 3 that did the series in. Season 4 recovered with better scripts, but by then the damage had been done.

Deja Vu- I liked it but I had the feeling that the production company couldn't make up its mind if it was about a man falling love with a dead woman, a procedural with a new technology, or time travel. It seemed to be split in three different ways as it went along.

And naturally they change the event and cause a loop in the timestream which I don't think they considered beyond the end of the movie.

Outlaw Star the collection- Gene Starwind gathers a motley crew to help him find a legendary treasure and battle his enemies.

CES

The Mist. I like it. There is one place in the movie that I actually jumped up and cheered. Overall, a very creepy movie that really makes me want to adapt the concept to an Apocalyptic game. I don't see a long-term campaign, but certainly three to four sessions. Hmmm. Need to diverge from Space Opera soon. ;)

The Mist is an excellent adaptation of the novella. However, I do find myself wishing the director had included a few minor bits from the original story -- mainly some sound effects and the like -- as I think that would have only heightened the fear factor.

The Mist is an excellent adaptation of the novella. However' date=' I do find myself wishing the director had included a few minor bits from the original story -- mainly some sound effects and the like -- as I think that would have only heightened the fear factor.[/quote']I read the novella some 20 years ago. I remember the bug landing on the window clearly and was tickled when it happened in the movie. It was almost exactly like I remember.

The sound effects would have been real nice. There was an early nod to that sort of thing, but the director made the zealot angle the forefront of the story. I'm sure that was in the novella, but I honestly can't remember it. I need to read it again. Since I like King's writing style, that shouldn't be too hard.

Machine Girl - Not as much fun as I'd hoped, but still fun. I'm tempted to write her up. Martial arts, and a MP:Machine Gun Arm and Chain Saw Arm, plus some weapon familiarities, missile deflection, and Two Weapon Fighting.

Kung Fu Panda - Much more fun than I'd thought it would be. A really good kids Chinese fantasy.

The Hulk - Again, better than I was expecting. Nice to see the cinematic Marvel U shaping up so well.

I read the novella some 20 years ago. I remember the bug landing on the window clearly and was tickled when it happened in the movie. It was almost exactly like I remember.

The sound effects would have been real nice. There was an early nod to that sort of thing, but the director made the zealot angle the forefront of the story. I'm sure that was in the novella, but I honestly can't remember it. I need to read it again. Since I like King's writing style, that shouldn't be too hard.

The scene where the small group go off to find help ends with the people getting eating by monsters in the mist. In the novella, he mentions some of the sounds, screams, and roars. I think the movie could have used that.

Machine Girl - Not as much fun as I'd hoped' date=' but still fun. I'm tempted to write her up. Martial arts, and a MP:Machine Gun Arm and Chain Saw Arm, plus some weapon familiarities, missile deflection, and Two Weapon Fighting..[/quote']

I managed to get a copy of this (not on DVD), but haven't watched it yet.

I also want to see Big Man Japan somehow.

I managed to get a copy of this (not on DVD), but haven't watched it yet.

I also want to see Big Man Japan somehow.

I could bring my copy with me to GenCon; play it on a laptop?

EDIT: I have subtitles for it as well. Not good ones, but still.

Godzilla: Final Wars -- just watched it, very fun but I'm left wondering if it was some sort of parody.

Though all the classic Toho references were fun. I.e., the Atragon, Gorath, yet another gang of alien invaders (in the Tohoverse the aliens must have nothing better to do than try and invade Earth -- don't they ever try to find out what happened to the last bunch?), cities getting trashed in giant monster smackdown, new and improved Gigan and Ghidorah, and of course GINO gets punked out to the sound of resounding cheers.

I could bring my copy with me to GenCon; play it on a laptop?

EDIT: I have subtitles for it as well. Not good ones, but still.

Yeah.... I tried to get the same set-up to play, but gave up.

Godzilla: Final Wars -- just watched it, very fun but I'm left wondering if it was some sort of parody.

Though all the classic Toho references were fun. I.e., the Atragon, Gorath, yet another gang of alien invaders (in the Tohoverse the aliens must have nothing better to do than try and invade Earth -- don't they ever try to find out what happened to the last bunch?), cities getting trashed in giant monster smackdown, new and improved Gigan and Ghidorah, and of course GINO gets punked out to the sound of resounding cheers.

Well, most of the Godzilla films (with the exception of the first) were family entertainment with comedy (often kids comedy) mixed in. That said, Final Wars did turn up the humor in a few places, and didn't have as much Godzilla as I'd expected from a Godzilla movie.

Still fun, though. :)

I watched Hot Fuzz last night and I thought it was great entertainment. I doubt you could call it "great cinema", but blending British sensibilities with an Action Movie (and an Intelligent sense of humor) resulted in a movie that was, in turn, laugh-out-loud funny and turn-away-from-the-screen horrifying. The final battle of the movie was priceless. There were a few moments that I found gruesome, but they were so over-the-top that I didn't mind so much.

Prince Caspian - I enjoyed this one more than I did the first one. LW&tW left me very cold and didn't resonate for me emotionally as much as I was hoping for, considering the Chronicles of Narnia were my favorite books as I was growing up. So I went into this one with far lower expectations, and it really blew me away. Peter Dinklage and Warwick Davis were very good as the dwarves, and Trufflehunter and Reepicheep were spot on. Now I can't wait for Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

We just watched Around the World in 80 Days. It was a fun little escapist movie. Any time you get to see Jackie Chan fight a sword-wielding villain with nothing more than his wits, his moves, and a small wooden bench, it's a blast.