What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I watched Wall*E too. (wasn't there a thread just for wall*e? I tried to find it and couldn't)

I thought it was excellent. It was an environmentalist movie without being preachy. It was funny. The romance was well done.

I did think it was ironic that an anti-consumerist movie engaged in product placement, but that certainly didn't ruin the movie.

Copperhead (on SciFi channel)

Okay, this wasn't the worst movie SciFi has ever aired. For example, Supergator, which came on before Copperhead was several levels of **** worse. And let us not forget Raptor Island or Pterodactyl.

There were two decent stetches. The start until Billy Drago fled the movie, and when Mama Copperhead shows up to the end. Unfortunately, there was about 90 minutes of movie in between.

Rating: 1 1/2 out of 5 stars

Styx and Boston in concert at the T&M Center here in Las Vegas. Styx was awesome, with the audience frequently singing along with the band. A special treat was Chuck Panozzo, the original bassist for Styx, joining them for three numbers. All of the music performed was from the classic Styx era (before "Kilroy Was Here"), but without the DeYoung signature pieces ("Babe" and "Mr Roboto" being the most obvious). It was a lot of fun.

And then Boston played. It probably would have been a wonderful set, if their sound mixer had done his job properly. Instead, we had to fight to hear the vocals over screaming guitars. And where Styx basically had just the stage set with a simple Styx logo backdrop, Boston had this massive cockpit, with flashing lights, and remote controlled throttle lever and three projection screens. I knew with Styx that the band was the focal point, but with Boston, I often couldn't tell if I was supposed to watch the band or the screens (which were most often showing "flying" video or starfield video--I hadn't done any drugs or alcohol, so I probably missed much of the point).

So, figure Styx as a 5 out of 5 (One of the best concerts that I've seen), while Boston was a 3 out of 5.

JoeG

Wipeout, kind of an American version of Ninja Warrior. More focused on comedy, one of the host is an actual comedian...forgot his name but I found the show to be excellent.

4 of 5

Some of the players were annoying but overall it was a very good show.

"Get Smart"

I'm surprised there has been no discussion of this. Funny and action film in the same film. I loved when a point was scored for the Fat Girls. Great final battle and cute doggie at the end.

I give it four shoe phones out of five.

I've been watching reruns of Miami Vice on NBC's website. I forgot how bad some of the early Season 1 episodes really were, but the last one I watched was Evan. Stylistically, this is episode is what I remember from my youth about Miami Vice. They still hadn't polished everything up yet, but the basic foundation of melodrama accented by (then) relevant music was being laid. Prior to this, the music didn't necessarily reflect the mood on screen.

I'm looking forward to watching more episodes and reliving a part of that nostalgia.

Top Gear on BBC America.

Wow. I am not a car guy by any means. I drive a 2007 Toyota Corolla because I was able to get a good deal, it was equipped with the basics I consider as necessary for driving (A/C, CD Player, Power package) and it gets really good mileage.

This show makes me want to love cars. Almost carnally. The writing is amazing, the camera work is superb. This show has become my favorite show on television.

One of my favorite segments was the drag race with a twist. A Eurofighter Typhoon vs. a Bugatti Veyron. The car has to cover a mile out, the plane, a mile UP.

Holy.

^&*(.

Here's a cut down portion from their website: http://www.topgear.com/content/videos/category/show/2.html

Second row, second from the left. I'm not direct linking since you have to choose your connection speed.

This show is currently the only one set on my DVR as "Record all". I don't care if it's new, old, whatever, I just can't get enough of it.

Love those guys. The big guy -- his name excapes me -- made a bit in another vehicle show about us Swedes developing stealth surface warships:

"You know what that means? They're going Viking again. They'll be slowly creeping up the rivers, and BOOM!, the house is on fire and you don't know where your daughter is."

Styx and Boston in concert at the T&M Center here in Las Vegas. Styx was awesome, with the audience frequently singing along with the band. A special treat was Chuck Panozzo, the original bassist for Styx, joining them for three numbers. All of the music performed was from the classic Styx era (before "Kilroy Was Here"), but without the DeYoung signature pieces ("Babe" and "Mr Roboto" being the most obvious). It was a lot of fun.

And then Boston played. It probably would have been a wonderful set, if their sound mixer had done his job properly. Instead, we had to fight to hear the vocals over screaming guitars. And where Styx basically had just the stage set with a simple Styx logo backdrop, Boston had this massive cockpit, with flashing lights, and remote controlled throttle lever and three projection screens. I knew with Styx that the band was the focal point, but with Boston, I often couldn't tell if I was supposed to watch the band or the screens (which were most often showing "flying" video or starfield video--I hadn't done any drugs or alcohol, so I probably missed much of the point).

So, figure Styx as a 5 out of 5 (One of the best concerts that I've seen), while Boston was a 3 out of 5.

JoeG

I didn't know Boston was touring again. Last I hear (which was last year, I think), they had canceled all shows for the foreseeable future due to Brad Delp's death.

Boston played a local arena when I was a freshman in college. I would love to have gone, but I was broke. Now I wish I could have come up the money somehow. There aren't many vocalists out there with Delp's power and depth.

Superman: the Animated Series. I'm through the first volume of DVDs' date=' and I'm done with one disc in the second volume. Amazon should be shipping me Volume 3 and [u']Justice League[/u] volumes 1 and 2 very soon.

JoeG

Awesome stuff. I have JL season 1 on dvd, but I'm holding out for the Blu-ray releases before I start buying the rest of the series, and JLU.

Man I love JLU.

I didn't know Boston was touring again. Last I hear (which was last year, I think), they had canceled all shows for the foreseeable future due to Brad Delp's death.

Boston played a local arena when I was a freshman in college. I would love to have gone, but I was broke. Now I wish I could have come up the money somehow. There aren't many vocalists out there with Delp's power and depth.

Vocals are handled by Michael Sweet, formerly of Stryper, and Tommy DeCarlo, who had sent in a video for the tribute concert for Brad Delp. Tom Scholz was extremely impressed in how much he sounded like Delp, and invited him to perform live at the tribute show.DeCarlo is currently on leave from his job as a Credit Manager at a Home Depot,to tour with the band.

DeCarlo's voice does sound quite a bit like Delp's, and the fact that he's not trying to force the sound adds to the effect. He's still a bit new to the touring scene, and therefore seems just a little bit stiff onstage. He seems to rely mostly on Rock Concert Movements #1 and 2 (the head-bob, and the one-armed fist pump, as defined by the Blue Man Group). I suspect that he doesn't really play any instruments (they gave him the tambourine and a triangle to play at the concert). Sweet is most likely to start singing the vocals of a song, and then DeCarlo takes over, so I'm guessing it's a way of handling timing issues with the performance.

Now, if the sound mixer would only give the vocalists' mics a little more volume...

JoeG

Potentially long post so skip it if you are not in the mood.

Just watched Dexter (season 1 and 2) again. With the benefit of not having the "Oh cool!" blinders on, some things struck me as odd with season 2. Even when I watched season 2 the first time, I did not enjoy it as much as season 1. I think I figured out why.

Early in the season, Rita confronts Dexter regarding the arrest and subsequent death of Paul the psycho ex-husband. That one scene was really forced, with spurious logic and inconsistent characterization. I know it was required to get Dexter into "recovery" so he could meet Lila, but I could just not see Dexter following that exact line of responses. It was very passive and Dexter is not passive.

Aside from that, Dexter was way too whiny in season 2. In season 1, he had moments of reflection and even anxiety, but he was driven and focused. I know that season 2 was all about deconstructing Dexter and then reconstructing him so that he evolves as a character, but dang. Worse than self indulgent teen angst.

Also watched The Incredibles again. A rare movie that gets better each time I watch it.

And finally, Batman Begins. I figured it was appropriate given that Dark Knight is coming out soon. One thing I realized is that there are almost two movies in one for Batman Begins. The "first movie" is all about the evolution of the Bruce Wayne character. The "second" is the Batman origin story. The two distinct sections tend to have some overlap, but for the most part are completely watchable on their own. I think I prefer Bruce Wayne's path to self discovery more than the development of Batman.

Good one' date=' I watch it every 4th of July if I can.[/quote']

Apparently, that's the custom of some friends, so they brought it to the 4th party I saw at and we all watched it together.

Paprika.

The Oklahoma State Library got a copy so I finally got around to checking it out. Very good animation, deep storyline, but almost confusing in its complexity. I won't be buying it, and of course it cost me nothing to view the library copy. It is probably worth a view to most people who are into anime at all. It held my interest well and was a complete story (it wasn't left hanging like some anime is).

I'm about to get the Godzilla Boxed Set -- 8 DVDs, running from the classic B&W Gojira (the original Japanese version) through wonders like Godzilla versus Mothra and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster to class-icks like All Monsters Attack.

But right now I'm watching a B&W anime I never saw before, Gigantor. Kinda crude but it's got its moments. Was amusing to recognize voices like Racer X and the villains are far nastier than the ones showing up in American animation at the time.

BTW, anyone here ever hear of or see a B&W anime my brother remembers titled something like Eight-Man?