What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I'm about to get the Godzilla Boxed Set -- 8 DVDs' date=' running from the classic B&W [i']Gojira[/i] (the original Japanese version) through wonders like Godzilla versus Mothra and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster to class-icks like All Monsters Attack.

But right now I'm watching a B&W anime I never saw before, Gigantor. Kinda crude but it's got its moments. Was amusing to recognize voices like Racer X and the villains are far nastier than the ones showing up in American animation at the time.

BTW, anyone here ever hear of or see a B&W anime my brother remembers titled something like Eight-Man?

I recall the title, but never saw it.

Oh -- it was 8-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Man).

Love those guys. The big guy -- his name excapes me -- made a bit in another vehicle show about us Swedes developing stealth surface warships:

"You know what that means? They're going Viking again. They'll be slowly creeping up the rivers, and BOOM!, the house is on fire and you don't know where your daughter is."

His name is Jeremy Clarkson:thumbup:

Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. It took them getting all the way to season 4 for me to start watching at all, but now that I have, I'm hooked. I've watched all episodes from the first until now. I'm not watching the 4th until it's on DVD :D

Also, I caught Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises. He's fantastic as a Russian mobster trying to work his way up while not killing an innocent child. While I don't speak Russian, and therefore could not tell you if his Russian was authentic, it sure sounded great.

And lastly, I Drink Your Milkshake! I watched There Will Be Blood. Man. Certainly not a real upper, this flick. Does Daniel Day Lewis EVER do a bad part? The guy is hypnotic. Unfortunately, the film feels incomplete (though it definitely had an ending... a very definitive one for one main character).

I just finished viewing Dog Soldiers, a soldiers versus werewolves movie. I found it liked it at lot, parts made me laugh, parts made me shudder, and parts made me say "that's not right...." I highly recommend it.

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend, for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.

What have you seen recently?

I've never seen Wizard of Oz but I have read the book. I have seen Tin Man which was on Sci-Fi channel recently which is kind of a re-imagining of Wizard and I really enjoyed that.

I will always watch Shark. Two reasons: James Woods and JERI RYAN (I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!)! :D It may be almost ten years on from ST:VOY but d*** that woman is still so hot and she and Woods make a great double act. Whoever writes the dialogue for it should be given an award because it is brilliant. :thumbup: :thumbup:

(Said very fast) Disclaimer: These are my opinions only and in no way do they reflect the official stance of this board. :)

I recall the title, but never saw it.

Oh -- it was 8-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Man).

Thanks for the link.

And when I checked it out, I was surprised to see that Japan even did an anime and manga about a pro wrestler named Tiger Mask. Several dozen episodes about a guy who does a Face-Heel turn and how his old manager tries to have him assassinated; it sounds like something out of Russo's WCW.

Recently been watching S1 of Farscape, finally. I've been trying to get the series on dvd for years, but back when it first came out I refused to pay what they were asking for it (I think it was something outrageous like $80 for a normal season), then when the Starburst edition came out I just didn't want to have to track down dozens of sets. So I tried to wait it out for the prices to go down.

Course the opposite happened; they stopped making the dvd's and the prices skyrocketed to several hundred dollars a season.

So borrowed the first 2 Starburst editions from a friend, then discovered that iTunes now has the rest of the series for download. Not a perfect solution, but it'll have to do.

An American Haunting

I have to say that there are few movies that make me downright angry with "the twist" but this one is one of them. Normally I would spoiler it, but I want the ending to be spoiled.

Basically the story is about the events surrounding the Bell Witch. While slow, the movie has some really great visuals and creepiness to it. Ironically, the worst case of CGI came in the form of a rainstorm. The rest of the movie used mood, lighting and some camera tricks to carry the story. As I watched, I thought that everything was going pretty well.

And then "the twist" came. Turns out the Bell Witch is the poltergeist of John Bell's daughter, created after he raped her. One of the coolest legends of Americana reduced into a heap of Jerry Springer reject material. :mad:

So if you haven't seen the movie, don't bother. :thumbdown

An American Haunting

And then "the twist" came. Turns out the Bell Witch is the poltergeist of John Bell's daughter, created after he raped her. One of the coolest legends of Americana reduced into a heap of Jerry Springer reject material. :mad:

Maybe it's just me, but I see nothing wrong with this. I also don't see it as especially cool ghost story. Now, the story about ghostly rattlesnakes guarding Aztec gold ...

An American Haunting

I have to say that there are few movies that make me downright angry with "the twist" but this one is one of them. Normally I would spoiler it, but I want the ending to be spoiled.

Basically the story is about the events surrounding the Bell Witch. While slow, the movie has some really great visuals and creepiness to it. Ironically, the worst case of CGI came in the form of a rainstorm. The rest of the movie used mood, lighting and some camera tricks to carry the story. As I watched, I thought that everything was going pretty well.

So if you haven't seen the movie, don't bother. :thumbdown

Sigh. I've read several books about ghosts and such, and I have read that theory before (it became popular about the same time as repressed memories did), and like you I think it stinks. Mostly because of the implication that frequently seems to accompany it, that most fathers molest their children and if you think you weren't, you're just "repressing".

Sigh. I've read several books about ghosts and such' date=' and I have read that theory before (it became popular about the same time as repressed memories did), and like you I think it stinks. Mostly because of the implication that frequently seems to accompany it, that most fathers molest their children and if you think you weren't, you're just "repressing".[/quote']

Much like those cases from the... 80s(?) where some kids who went under hypnotic regression started believing that they had birthed numerous children starting at the age of 13 when they were repeatedly raped by their fathers and other adults, and as soon as they gave birth had the baby sacrificed to Satan. They went into such crazy, ever heightening detail (they kept "remembering" incidents over a period of several months) that even those accused started remembering the same events when put under hypnotic regression.

I believe several people actually pleaded guilty and went to jail for the events claimed. Completely ridiculous.

Sigh. I've read several books about ghosts and such' date=' and I have read that theory before (it became popular about the same time as repressed memories did), and like you I think it stinks. Mostly because of the implication that frequently seems to accompany it, that most fathers molest their children and if you think you weren't, you're just "repressing".[/quote']

That's fine, but has little to do with whether or not the speculation in this case is "reasonable" (and if you believe in the supernatural, it seems far more reasonable that a random demon plaguing a random person).

Cinematic Titanic: Doomsday Machine

Always loved MST3K, and I enjoyed the Film Crew stuff, and even the few RiffTrax I've heard. Cinematic Titanic has been fun. Still, the new series just don't have the same zip for me as the original. Worth watching, but not as good as the old stuff.

Or I may just be old and tired now.

That's fine' date=' but has little to do with whether or not the speculation in this case is "reasonable" (and if you believe in the supernatural, it seems far more reasonable that a random demon plaguing a random person).[/quote']

One version of events that I prefer is, according to real-world history, Mister Bell was a slaveowner in Kentucky (not a big one, he probably had half-a-dozen slaves or so). One of his overseers was a sadistic brute who routinely abused the slaves to the point of permanent maiming; one day Bell caught him savagely beating a slave in the midst of his duties. Bell ordered him to let the man alone. The overseer attacked Bell, and Bell shot him dead. Bell was tried by the local law, and set free on the basis of justifiable homicide (i.e., "He deserved it.").

Some people who believe that the case happened think that the 'ghost' was from the dead overseer -- which would explain his hatred for Mister Bell, if nothing else