What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Curse of the Golden Flower' date=' a blood-soaked revenge tragedy set in the Chinese Imperial Family. Starring a magnificent Gong Li as an Emperess slowly going mad while she plots a coup against her husband.[/quote']

Who, I should add, is played by Chow Yun-Fat. Don't go into this film expecting wire-fu hi-jinks. Instead, think of it as a Shakespearian tragedy.

It's amazing how commercials can get in the way of the experience of watching a movie. I'm trying to watch The Usual Suspects for the first time, and the breaks for ads are truly getting in the way of the suspense.

Still, the idea of the piece (a satanic criminal mastermind manipulates five criminals) is fascinating.

It's amazing how commercials can get in the way of the experience of watching a movie. I'm trying to watch The Usual Suspects for the first time, and the breaks for ads are truly getting in the way of the suspense.

Still, the idea of the piece (a satanic criminal mastermind manipulates five criminals) is fascinating.

You really need to watch that one straight up. No commercial interruptions to ruin the pacing.

But still a real kick in the brainpan with the ending (which I won't spoil here). Now I know why that movie is so admired.

Bloody brilliant. Literally.

I recall sitting in the police station to be finger printed under suspicion of DWI (I had a blood alcohol level of 0.00) when I noticed the corkboard had a label that read "Quartet Inc. Skokie, Illinois" and I just started laughing. The officer asks "what's so funny?" and I ask him "You ever seen The Usual Suspects?" Pity he hadn't.

Exactly why I rarely watch movies aired on tv, especially ones that I haven't seen before.

Not only is the pacing ruined, but they take out so much it's unwatchable sometimes.

Thank goodness for On Demand. I'm about to settle in to watch Judgment at Nuremberg' date=' Stanley Kramer's saga of a judge facing a moral dilemma at a war crimes tribunal.[/quote']

OT, but I remember that film mostly for the very shocking (to me, anyway) roles played by actors Werner Klemperer* and John Banner*.

* -- Who you might know better as Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz ("I see nuff-ink! I know nuff-ink!") from Hogan's Heroes.

OT, but I remember that film mostly for the very shocking (to me, anyway) roles played by actors Werner Klemperer* and John Banner*.

* -- Who you might know better as Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz ("I see nuff-ink! I know nuff-ink!") from Hogan's Heroes.

Klemperer and Banner had both been refugees from the Nazis. Still, Klemperer's performance in Judgment at Nuremberg is chilling -- playing a fanatical Nazi who simply cannot recognize that he is defeated, clutching at straws that he thinks will deliver him and clinging to a dead belief sysem as his lifeline.

Maxamillian Schell won an Oscar for his role as the defense attorney for Emil jannings (Burt Lancaster). He would go on, in a long and distinguished film career, to play both Christ (The Greatest Story Ever Told) and Satan (Needful Things).

An American Haunting

I have to say that there are few movies that make me downright angry with "the twist" but this one is one of them. Normally I would spoiler it, but I want the ending to be spoiled.

I've seen it. For me the "twist" was pretty obvious from about halfway in. I agree: totaly clichéd. Pity, because otherwise it was pretty well done.

cheers, Mark

Klemperer and Banner had both been refugees from the Nazis. Still' date=' Klemperer's performance in [i']Judgment at Nuremberg[/i] is chilling -- playing a fanatical Nazi who simply cannot recognize that he is defeated, clutching at straws that he thinks will deliver him and clinging to a dead belief sysem as his lifeline.

Which is actually what happened in real life in some cases. If you ever read some of Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke's books like Hitler's Priestess or Black Sun you'll see what I mean.

Doctor Horrible's Sing a Long Blog, Episodes 1 & 2.

My review.

Damn you Joss Whedon, Damn you to heck.

I was content in my knowledge that you had become hackneyed, just replaying the same storyline and script time and time again. I was content to sneer down my nose at your occasionally witty prose and plots, secure that I knew you were out of juice, that the good times had ended.

And then came Doctor Horrible's Sing a Long Blog.

Which is #$%^ing Brilliant!

It does remind me a little of "Soon I will be Invincible", mostly in that Captain Hammer and Corefire are both raging @$$oles, but it's different enough, and honestly, Neil Patrick Harris is so awesome he makes me teeth ache.

If you haven't seen Doctor Horrible yet, and you purport to like the superhero genre, do yourself a favor and catch the first two episodes immediately.

Maxamillian Schell won an Oscar for his role as the defense attorney for Emil jannings (Burt Lancaster). He would go on' date=' in a long and distinguished film career, to play both Christ ([i']The Greatest Story Ever Told[/i]) and Satan (Needful Things).

. . . Could it be you´re thinking of Max von Sydow?

Recently completed all seven seasons of Highlander

Interesting. We have been doing marathons, but haven't hit HL yet (we want a copy of Source just for completeness sake). Do you intend to watch Raven as well? For that matter, did you like any of the proposed spin offs that they ran in season 7?

We just did a double feature of Lake House and Premonition. Interesting watching two movies with the same lead having the same experience (time out of joint). Having the husband be played by the actor that did Cole (source of all evil) on Charmed and Dr Doom in FF was a little jarring. To be fair, he did fairly well as a not villain.

Re-watched Hellboy and two animated features to get up to speed for when we find the dough to see Hellboy 2.

Sword of Storms was interesting, but seemed a bit derivative of Samurai Jack (not that that is a bad thing :thumbup: ). Hellboy gets zapped to a Place of Wyrd and wanders around fighting off random attackers.

Blood & Iron was fun too, but I kept thinking "this reminds me of Gargoyles." The lead villainess, skulking around in shadows and ranting about how great "our people" are, compared to mundanes, smacked strongly of Demona. I was just thinking that when they introduced the billionaire MacGuffin owner, who looked enough like David Xanatos to be related - even though he sounded like Tom Arnold. I fell over laughing so hard.

Midas

I went with a co-worker to see Mamma Mia. It was a lot of fun. I laughed, and most of the audience applauded at the end. We had a great time.

While we were there, we bought tickets for The Dark Knight so our husbands could tag along tomorrow. Most shows have been sold out, but it occurred to us that it couldn't hurt to ask about the 11:20 AM showing on a Sunday. We are, after all, in the Bible Belt.

Hellboy 2 Fun popcorn movie. I really liked the first one. I liked the second one well enough to enjoy the experience.

Jumper. I was surprised at just how well this movie worked. I loved it. And that guy that played Whanakin Skywalker did okay. Better than I would have thought.

Picked up Justice League: The New Frontier and Batman: Blah Blah Batwoman at Half-Price Books today and watched them. JL: TNF had the lavish jet-philia and disjointed pacing of the graphic novel but was very kind and respectful to the Greatest Flash Evar! Barry Allen, so I liked it. Batman was topnotch.