What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just watched the last Willis O'Brien SFX classic, The Black Scorpion. Okay 50's movie, a bit different for being set in Mexico, and the scenes in the giant cavern swarming with giant scorpions and other arachnid monsters was very well done.

It also had one fine comical moment when the Mexican Army is trying to kill the last scorpion with a harpoon hooked up to 600,000 volts of electricity. They shoot and miss, so the gunner hauls it back in, saying that "I'll get it this time." Sadly, he's forgotten about the electricity, and, well...

It also had one fine comical moment when the Mexican Army is trying to kill the last scorpion with a harpoon hooked up to 600' date='000 volts of electricity. They shoot and miss, so the gunner hauls it back in, saying that "I'll get it this time." Sadly, he's forgotten about the electricity, and, well...[/quote']

I must have seen this movie dozens of times, and I had forgotten about that scene. The last time I saw Black Scorpion it was on MST3K. During the scene where the last, biggest scorpion derails a train and starts eating the passengers, Crow said "Don't run! Just look unappetizing!" :rofl:

I must have seen this movie dozens of times' date=' and I had forgotten about that scene. The last time I saw [i']Black Scorpion[/i] it was on MST3K. During the scene where the last, biggest scorpion derails a train and starts eating the passengers, Crow said "Don't run! Just look unappetizing!" :rofl:

I remember that scene mostly for the "El Santo!" moment where one giant scorpion grabs another in its claws, body slams it to the ground, and then finishes it off with a stinger to the throat.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Mexico ever made a El Santo Versus The Atomic Monsters movie?

WALL*E at one of the smaller auditoriums at my mother's favorite multiplex in east Portland. Beautifuly done, wonderfully nuanced, and in many respects a very sad movie, especially the opening thirty minutes. I don't think it would be a spoiler to add Buy 'N Large to the list of "megacorps you don't want to encounter in a game" (and to say that this may have been Fred Willard's smarmiest role yet, which is really saying someting). Not so much for wickendess, but because of their utter banality and willful ignorance of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Gotham Knight The animated 6 episode DVD that takes place between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Overall impressions.

Art: Varied from Cool to wretchingly awful.

Acting: Unfortunately much the same. Conroy sounds like he needed to make a house payment on some of the sequences.

Story: See my entry on Art above.

Details:

Have I got a story to tell you: The art looks like George Plimpton. Seriously. It doesn't fit, but the story is pretty good and the voice acting is solid enough. unfortunately, this REALLY suffers when compared to "Legends of the Dark Knight" from the old Batman Animated series. They both feature similar arcs that explore what Batman might look like to a bunch of kids, but the execution on this DVD feels like a pale imitation.

Crossfire and Field Test: The stories are shallow, though Crossfire is absolutely the stronger of the two. Still, that doesn't make either of these particularly good. The art style is pure anime, and it is so completely inappropriate, and jarring, that I was almost ready to turn off the DVD right here. It's a good thing I didn't though...

In Darkness Dwells: We have a resurgence here with a tighter, better scripted story. The acting is better as well, and yay, better, or should I say, more appropos art. It's almost Aeon Flux style, and it kinda works. It looks a whole lot better than the bad Gatchaman and Speed Racer styles from Crossfire and Field Test. This made me decide to keep watching.

Working through Pain: And we're back to Anime art that makes Bruce look like a 12 year old boy with a pituitary problem. The story is okay, but it's a radical departure from everything else on the DVD, and it feels like hammering a square peg in a round whole.

Deadshot: Yes, THAT Deadshot. Best art on the whole DVD, it's the more realistic style of Anime art, similar to Blood: The last vampire. Excellent all throughout, it's also got the look closest to the actual movies.

Overall, I think that the DVD is too experimental in the art, acting, and story, with no real return on that experimentation. Two good/strong stories do not make up for four that kinda suck. I'd hesitantly give it 3 out of 5 stars, but really, I'd recommend it more for the completist.

Saw Wall-E last night, finally. Been trying to see it since it came out, but things kept coming up, and of course Dark Knight took up every movie outing I've made.

Really, really liked it. Nothing bad to say whatsoever. Though I still think I like the "Iron Giant" more.

Seen WALL-E and The Dark Knight.

WALL-E seems prophetic. All we need to do is keep bimbling down the path we're on. Also, Sigourney Weaver as the voice of "Axiom" was a big draw for me.

The Dark Knight . . . awesome. Heath Ledger's Joker is terrifying. The look . . . well, it's been described as the "Heat" of superhero movies and I think that's accurate. It doesn't feel like a superhero movie, more like a crime thriller with a superhero in it. Bale is excellent as Wayne/Batman and Gary Oldman is on top form as Jim Gordon.

Hancock. Sucked.

Wathcing the first season of X-Files on DVD. My memory of it is so foggy. It has its ups and downs and its interesting to watch everyone work so hard and reach to find what works and what doesn't.

Watched Fight Club over the weekend. Another one I hadn't see since it orignally came out on video. That movie is LSD hell, but I still found myself silently admiring the whole Tyler Durdan plot to blow up credit card companies.

The Tick Complete Series, Live action, with Patrick Warburton in the title role. As commented in another thread, I can easily see Dr Horrible living just around the corner.

Good, but really short (9 episodes of about 22ish minutes each).

JoeG

Wathcing the first season of X-Files on DVD. My memory of it is so foggy. It has its ups and downs and its interesting to watch everyone work so hard and reach to find what works and what doesn't.

Yeah, while the first season has some great ideas, it's very uneven as far as quality goes. I'm actually in the middle of watching season 7, just finished season 6. Personally, I think it actually gets better as it goes, though I have a feeling that that's going to stop happening very quickly.

Seasons 4 and 6 I think have pretty much all of my favorite episodes in them though. Great stuff.

I agree. It's a gamer show. (But then' date=' most things that involve Bruce Campbell are)[/quote']

I watched about 5 minutes of it a while back when I heard Bruce was in it, but then found out he was only a supporting character, so stopped.

But now I'm hearing that everyone loves it. Can somebody explain to me what's so great about it? I'm very curious now.

I watched about 5 minutes of it a while back when I heard Bruce was in it, but then found out he was only a supporting character, so stopped.

But now I'm hearing that everyone loves it. Can somebody explain to me what's so great about it? I'm very curious now.

I think it's well written and has comedic elements in it.

I haven't been able to see any of the Season 2 stuff, but wound up getting Season 1 on DVD

Can somebody explain to me what's so great about it? I'm very curious now.
If you are into not-so-serious spy dramas with a touch of the Bourne trilogy, then you'll enjoy. Michael Weston is a great character and the voice over narration of how spy stuff works is just accurate enough for a role-playing game. It isn't realistic by any means, but really fun.

If you are into not-so-serious spy dramas with a touch of the Bourne trilogy' date=' then you'll enjoy. Michael Weston is a great character and the voice over narration of how spy stuff works is just accurate enough for a role-playing game. It isn't realistic by any means, but really fun.[/quote']

Ohhhh really? Well, I may just have to go plunk down some cash for season 1 tomorrow then.

Coincidentally though, my group just started playing a Spycraft 2.0 game, so that sounds absolutely perfect.

Thanks for the explanation guys, I'm seriously interested now.