What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just saw "Tropic Thunder" and absolutely loved it. Must say, though, Robert Downey completely made the movie for me. It was funny outside of him, but he completely brought it to another level of hilarity.

"I'm a lead farmer" had me cracking up.

Just finished watching M, Fritz Lang's 1931 masterpiece about both sides of the law racing to hunt down a serial killer of children. Very chilling, involving stuff. Peter Lorre was quite an actor in his younger days.... And the questions the movie raises are still relevant today (Where does justice end and revenge begin?).

Oddhat was nice enough to show me the surreal kaiju comedy(?) Big Man Japan. He'll need to describe it though' date=' I don't feel I can do it justice.[/quote']

Wow. Really needs a thread of its own, complete with write ups of the 6th Generation Great Japanese, and a few of the usable monsters.

Short form: The film starts out as a documentary following a working class Japanese man, one who obviously has seen better times. His clothes are shabby, his hair unkempt, his once nice house broken down and covered in graffiti outside and a mess inside. His wife has left him, taking his daughter. His house is filled with odd memorabilia. It's not clear what he does, but from the conversation it appears he may be a television host with a failing show. Then, he receives a phone call. He has to go to work. The documentary maker follows him.

The working class man's job?

To grow to gigantic size and defend Japan against gigantic monsters; he's the 6th generation (and last) Dai Nipponjin (The Great Japanese / The Big Japanese / The Big Man of Japan).

Very dark comedy. I'd almost call it an Iron Age Ultraman with the proviso that, despite his significant personality flaws, our hero is actually trying to do his duty.

Not a happy ending.

For giant monster vs giant superhero fans, I'd recommend it, so long as you go in knowing that it's satire.

The subtext has to do with the "unmanning" of Japan following WWII, as a great military power fell into pacifism, and as the great manly heroes of traditional Japan have come to be viewed as absurd.

Swimming remains dull even with attractive participants.

Yeah, they should put starving sharks in the tank or something. That'd get those swimmers going. And choosing the gold winner would be so much easier! (I mean, whoever gets out of the tank alive after completing their laps...) :doi:

I watched my DVD of Danger:Diabolik yesterday.Great film (though as it was directed by Mario Bava,that's not surprising).It is probably the first great supervillain film.That's right,the main character is a ruthless thief and terrorist,who makes Al-Queda look like pansies.

Here's a link to the review on the Mario Bava Web Page:http://members.tripod.com/mariobava/diabolik.htm.

Just got done watching the DVD of Superman II. For some reason, the slapstick and humor shots got to me (listen to the audio during the big fight scene, and you'll know what I'm talking about). And you know, I'm actually afraid to watch some movies in HD. I mean, if I can clearly see the wires lowering down Supes down to the walkway at Niagara Falls on DVD, just how will a movie like this do converted to Blu-Ray?

JoeG

Starship Troopers 3.

I liked it. Better than the second one as it captures that same cheesy, campy fascism we've come to expect from the Federation. The final scene with the speach by the new religious right branch of the Corp, really reminded me of Warhammer 40k and chaplains :)

Once you can convince your soldiers that there is an afterlife, and God is on your side - it's much easier to control them and get them to die for your cause. But, anyone who has ever read any history already knew that.

My only problem with the 3rd movie was a lack of technological advancement. The bugs still outstrip the humans. With a name like "The Federation" - I'd always assumed more than one planet of humans. The progress during a war for the entire infrastructure of more than one planet was mind bogglingly slow. They did a better job in the CGI series.

The first 15 minutes of the Battlestar Galactica panel at Comic Con 2008. I would have liked to have watched the whole thing, but the interviewer was a real asshat. Wasn't too hard to tell that he had the whole panel uncomfortable with his constant cursing and coarse manners. They must have been pretty desperate to put this guy on the podium.

Guess that doesn't count as a TV program or movie, so that last good thing I watched was a Supernatural episode spoofing Ghostchasers. Laughed my rear end off.

I watched my DVD of Danger:Diabolik yesterday.Great film (though as it was directed by Mario Bava,that's not surprising).It is probably the first great supervillain film.That's right,the main character is a ruthless thief and terrorist,who makes Al-Queda look like pansies.

I'll add that the MST3K version is great ;)

"Diabolik" was remade as a cartoon a few years ago' date=' and did anybody catch the Beastie Boys spoof for the "Body Movin'" video?[/quote']

Ah yes, I remember that well. For some people, decapitation is only a minor inconvenience....

Diabolik would be an interesting character to write up.