What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Re-watched a few episodes of Life on Mars. Watched in isolation' date=' I can see finding this series frustrating; as a series, it's really excellent. Hope to see the follow up series when it's out.[/quote']

Are you looking forward to the American version that'll be on TV in a month or two? The commercials look great - they've really gone for a retro 1970s feel in the advertising... I can just hear them say 'A Quinn Martin Production'.

Are you looking forward to the American version that'll be on TV in a month or two? The commercials look great - they've really gone for a retro 1970s feel in the advertising... I can just hear them say 'A Quinn Martin Production'.

Not so much, though I'll watch it before making the call. American remakes tend to miss the point of BBC series.

It runs a little slow at times in the first season' date=' but stay with it. By the time you hit the end of the second season, the pace really picks up.[/quote']

I completely agree with that. Season 1 is a little lame at times, with somewhat low production values and cheesy storylines, but they did a good job of doing what they had to in order to rope in a viewership then got to the actually cool stuff in the next few seasons.

Season 1 is just too Star Trek-y for my tastes.

But in other news, I've been watching a lot of recent spy movies. Just finished up the Bourne trilogy, and watched "Spy Game" (the one with Redford and Pitt). Saw that one in theaters back when it came out in '01, and hated it then. Rewatched it, liked parts of it, but remembered why I hated it. What a crappy ending. Seriously, what was the point of the movie?

Other than that, it's okay.

Looking for some other good spy movies to watch though. Any suggestions?

Ashes to Ashes, the sequel to Life on Mars, episodes 1-4. Good, and it's fun to see the characters from series one again, but it lacks the tight scripting and directing of the first series. They also break many of the "rules" of the first series, and they do so in ways that don't make much sense unless the payoff of series two is significantly different from series one. Anyway, still entertaining.

I've watched the anime series Casshan Robot Hunter and R.O.D recently.Despite the fact that Casshan is an older series,and I adore Yomiko Readman,I think i preferred Casshan.Not only does it seem more plausible (Yomiko's powers,are,let's face it, downright magical),but the bad guys in Casshan actually have a more plausible motivation-the Black King is programmed to save the Earth's ecosystem,and the only way he thinks he can do this is to conquer the Earth and destroy humanity.Plus,seeing Casshan chop a Neoroid in half is just plain cool.

The first volume for Talespin. My son is enjoying the pulp flying scenes with Baloo and Don Karnage, especially Don Karnage.

CES

Man I loved that show when I was a kid. Don Karnage is such a great character with one of my favorite names of all time. Had a conversation with my roommate the other day where we just sat down and talked about the show and all of the ingenious characters.

Shier Kahn (sp) is also fantastic in his down to earth villainy. Oh, and Kit Cloudkicker is an awesome name too. Damn, I really want to buy that set now.

We went to see Mamma Mia! the other night. My first time seeing it, my wife's third time. Very, very entertaining. The only down side was that we got the sing-along version. The theater personnel noticed this about ten minutes into the film, at which time they stopped the movie for ten minutes to get another copy of the regular version . . . which they ended up not having. So ten minutes later they started the movie again where they left off.

Man I loved that show when I was a kid. Don Karnage is such a great character with one of my favorite names of all time. Had a conversation with my roommate the other day where we just sat down and talked about the show and all of the ingenious characters.

Shier Kahn (sp) is also fantastic in his down to earth villainy. Oh, and Kit Cloudkicker is an awesome name too. Damn, I really want to buy that set now.

Still trying to get through the set. Karnage is the main villian on the first disc.

He also has most of the best lines too.

CES

Pretty interesting that people have devoted time to demonize the government with optical illusions when there is so much real evidence out there of other things going on.

CES

It's all part of the plan to keep our attention away from the UFO conspiracies. The X-Files was a documentary! :eek:

Or maybe it is just late (haven't slept yet).;)

Been there myself. I was at Circus Circus in Vegas' date=' on vacation and sick as hell with a cold in 110 degree weather. I hate clowns. I hate clowns. I hate CLOWNS.[/quote']

I've spent the last three days in a cubicle, watching a Mets game. I almost wish I had clowns singing Abba songs instead.

• 1 month later...

Watched My own worst enemy last night. Deadly secret agent is given a cover by making him have a split personality. The problems start when the secondary wakes up in the middle of a mission.

Got the complete Sherlock Holmes. Got through the first two disks and have the third in the player now. Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford come across as a unique Holmes/Watson team.

CES

Watched the extended cut of Fearless Saturday. While the extra 35-40 minutes weren't needed to make the movie 'better' for the most part they didn't hurt -- except for the scenes with Michelle Yeoh, which were a waste of her skills.

I borrowed Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day from the library, and greatly enjoyed it. A governess in WWII London is tossed out for her "rebellious" nature, and cheats her way into a job as a social secretary to an actress who opens her eyes to just how sheltered a life she's been leading. Frances McDormand plays a bit against type, but she's excellently cast. It made me want to read the book (or story) it was based off.