What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just got back from watching Quantum Of Solace. A fine action movie; Daniel Craig kicks much arse.

I saw QoS on holidaze. QoS was a fine film but it is more a Bourne film than a Bond film. It was missing many of the tropes of a typical Bond film. QoS is almost but not quite a BINO (Bond in name only ;) )

Just finished watching the pilot episode of Briscoe County Jr. Loving it so far, rockets and everything.

My only complaint is the scientist character seems to be trying very, very hard to do a Doc Brown impression. Which is fine, just too bad that they couldn't get Christopher Lloyd to actually play Doc Brown. That would've been epic.

Ping Pong.

A Japanese movie about friendship, pride, self-sacrifice, the weirdness just under the surface of Japanese society, the true meaning of heroism, and ping pong.

I really enjoyed this film. So much better than most of the Japanese films I've watched recently; it reminded me of Itami Juzo on a good day. Yes, it was a little melodramatic in places. Still great fun. If you're at all interested in a Japanese character driven comedy, you'll like this.

It's been a while, but as I recall the plot it's about one lonely, sad postman, whose life takes an unexpected turn -- for better or for worse; you have to decide yourself -- when he delivers a package to what turns out to be an old school friend who has turned Yakuza. This old friend has just cut off his little finger, and has to deliver it to his boss or face the consequences. At the same time the police is staking out the apartment, and has their interests piqued by this unknown postman . . .

That's about five minutes into the film.

It's been a while, but as I recall the plot it's about one lonely, sad postman, whose life takes an unexpected turn -- for better or for worse; you have to decide yourself -- when he delivers a package to what turns out to be an old school friend who has turned Yakuza. This old friend has just cut off his little finger, and has to deliver it to his boss or face the consequences. At the same time the police is staking out the apartment, and has their interests piqued by this unknown postman . . .

That's about five minutes into the film.

Looked at some reviews. I'll check it out. :)

Just finished watching the pilot episode of Briscoe County Jr. Loving it so far, rockets and everything.

My only complaint is the scientist character seems to be trying very, very hard to do a Doc Brown impression. Which is fine, just too bad that they couldn't get Christopher Lloyd to actually play Doc Brown. That would've been epic.

If you are talking about Prof. Wickwire, John Astin has been playing effectively the same character long before Back to the Future, even back to The Addams Family.

Untracable, I wish it had been. Bad SAW wannabe with an internet twist. The law enforcement charaters were idiots, it used all the cliche interagency obstruction and the bad guy was able to do insanely improbable things with computers and electronics.

It had potential but missed by a lot. I'd like my 2 hours back please.

I caught up on Entourage season 5 and I like the show. Its fun .

I found a copy of Colossus the Forbin Project over the weekend. For a 30 year old movie it holds up pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forbin_Project

Ok - I've never heard of this movie before, but in the past 1/2 hour, I've seen two completely unrelated mentions of this movie on two completely unrelated websites. How odd is that?

If you are talking about Prof. Wickwire' date=' John Astin has been playing effectively the same character long before Back to the Future, even back to The Addams Family.[/quote']

Yeah, I actually just realized that's who it was while watching the second episode. I think it's because I watched Back to the Future part III about two days before, so crazy old Doc Brown in the wild west was still pretty fresh.

Loving this show though.

Watched Great SAS Missions an almost 3 hour documentary series (7x25 mins episodes) on the SAS from their birth to modern day. 4 are on WW2, another on the Iranian Embassy, another on the Falklands and the last on Gulf War. All up really good and easy watching, the time flew past. Good seeing some of the original SAS and its founder David Sterling talking to the camera. 4.5 out of 5.

Also watched a documentary (of sorts) on the reunion of The Angels (renamed Angel City in the USA). The dvd being named "No Way, Get F*#ked, F*#k Off" after the audience chant-refrain to their song "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again". Interesting documentary of a long term band reforming after members (lead singer versus the rest) speaking to each other through lawyers for 5 years or more.

As for me, I just saw the latest from Studio Ghibli (Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) which was sweet but not top notch (by Ghibli's standards). Also saw "Burn after reading". Amusing, and totally unpredictable plot: I really liked both Brad Pitt's brainless gym trainer and George Clooney's sleazeball - nice to see them play against type.

Also I've been traveling a lot lately so have seen a lot of in-flight movies. Among them:

Hancock (better than expected, actually. Liked the special effects and the plot "surprise". The plot itself makes no sense whatsoever, though. Pity. It could have been cool movie with a little thought put into it)

Hidden Fortress: the lost Princess (The plot made more sense in a lot of ways than the original and it looks way better, but the ending is silly and the "Be nice to social inferiors" theme is frankly barfsome. The villain does a cool Darth Vader impression, though he had to stab people instead of force-choking them :D)

Kung Fu Panda (I watched it twice, on two different flights, which says something :D)

Ratatouille (Not as good as expected, frankly. Visually delightful. But the plot was ..... enh. I did like the food critic though)

Wall·E (I liked it: love the sci-fi in-jokes and the overall design pizazz. The plot isn't wildly exciting, but it hums along nicely)

Tashan (Bollywood gangster trash: mildly amusing, badly acted, braindead plot)

In Bruges (Amusing if foulmouthed dialog, predictable, if unrealistic plot: I saw the dwarf-shooting and consequence coming well in advance. Ralph Fiennes is good, though)

Tropic Thunder. (I thought the Platoon parody at the beginning was hysterical. There's some other pretty good moments, but the director is reduced to recycling jokes about 30 minutes in. There's a great 15 minute comedy short inside this 90 minute movie)

cheers, Mark