What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just finished watching the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Been meaning to get around to it forever now, but with Netflix now on the 360 I was able to just stream the entire season on the tv. I had seen a lot of it off and on a while back, but never wanted to throw down the cash for the dvd's. Really great stuff. Started the 2nd Gig last night, we'll see if it lives up to the first.

Also watched Next Avengers, which I didn't like at first, but towards the end became a very 80's kids movie, which I'm all about. Ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Though I wish the animation was a tad bit better for the first half of the movie.

I finally saw WALL*E on DVD last night

That was a cute film, and actually surprised me some.

Oddly, one of my favorite characters was

The Captain, who I was worried was just going to be the poster boy for humans gone infantile, but ended up showing true leadership and yes, even heroism

A "friend of mine" (as opposed to a "friend of ours" ;) ) emailed me saying I just had to watch LEXX. He raved about it. Real glowing review. I'll love it he said. But not much hard detail. "It's hard to describe" says he, which is the one thing he said that I agree with. Now, this fellow knows me and my mores, and we have passably similar tastes, and while I'm not much of a TV watcher I'll give a show a try on a recommendation. So, I went online and found an archive and streamed the first episode. I sit down to watch and... WHAT WAS HE THINKING? Not just WWHT about the show, which didn't pique even a grunt of interest and game off as low-budget weird, but WWHT to tell ME I should watch this show? Talk about cerebral flatulence. Dear me, the only thing I just had to do was turn it off (despite my "give it a chance by watching the whole episode" policy).

. . . I managed five minutes of the first episode. :)

That much?!

I kid.

Within five minutes I decided "this is like a badly done Dr. Who episode" and I loathe Dr. Who. I know some people love Dr. Who. More power to them. But I don't. It is what it is.

But I have this "give the first episode a chance" policy so I watched about half of it... I completely lost it. My wife started laughing because I was laughing at it so hard.

It was bad.

Very, very bad.

A "friend of mine" (as opposed to a "friend of ours" ;) ) emailed me saying I just had to watch LEXX. He raved about it. Real glowing review. I'll love it he said. But not much hard detail. "It's hard to describe" says he' date=' which is the one thing he said that I agree with. Now, this fellow knows me and my mores, and we have passably similar tastes, and while I'm not much of a TV watcher I'll give a show a try on a recommendation. So, I went online and found an archive and streamed the first episode. I sit down to watch and... WHAT WAS HE THINKING? Not just WWHT about the show, which didn't pique even a grunt of interest and game off as low-budget weird, but WWHT to tell [u']ME[/u] I should watch this show? Talk about cerebral flatulence. Dear me, the only thing I just had to do was turn it off (despite my "give it a chance by watching the whole episode" policy).

Yeah, it's an awful, awful show. I used to watch it when they showed it on Sci-Fi channel at 3 am back in high school, but more just because it was hilarious. And wasn't the woman who controlled the LEXX super hot? That probably had something to do with it.

Oh foolish youth.

A "friend of mine" (as opposed to a "friend of ours" ;) ) emailed me saying I just had to watch LEXX. He raved about it. Real glowing review. I'll love it he said. But not much hard detail. "It's hard to describe" says he' date=' which is the one thing he said that I agree with. Now, this fellow knows me and my mores, and we have passably similar tastes, and while I'm not much of a TV watcher I'll give a show a try on a recommendation. So, I went online and found an archive and streamed the first episode. I sit down to watch and... WHAT WAS HE THINKING? Not just WWHT about the show, which didn't pique even a grunt of interest and game off as low-budget weird, but WWHT to tell [u']ME[/u] I should watch this show? Talk about cerebral flatulence. Dear me, the only thing I just had to do was turn it off (despite my "give it a chance by watching the whole episode" policy).

I know very little about you. I know very little about that show. I still know better than to suggest the two mix.

I recall running across it when I was bored one rainy Saturday afternoon. I stared in horrified fascination, then asked my sister what in the world . . .?

She looked up from whatever she was doing, and said, "I think it sells based on what it rhymes with . . .?"

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some Christmas presents -- The Forbidden Kingdom and Kung Fu Panda. I also showed some friends Dark City and Hot Fuzz. The Forbidden Kingdom is a fun film all things considered. It's nothing special (I think Kung Fu Panda does the same idea better), but it does have that fight between Jet Li and Jackie Chan in the middle... ^_^ I really liked Kung Fu Panda as a throw-back to old-school martial arts films (it reminds me a great deal of some early Jackie Chan movies). They've announced some additional films, which I'll be happy to go see.

Just watched Hancock for the first time. Man did that movie get the award for "most wasted potential" in a superhero movie! There were some interesting bits, but that's about it.

Use to be, I would get interested when I heard Will Smith was the lead. With both I Am Legend and Hancock both a disappointment, I probably won't even notice the next time he puts something out.

Just re-watched Ping Pong with the niece and nephew.

Wow.

A fantastic Japanese film on the meaning of friendship, competition, heroism, and ping pong. If you have any interest in a thoughtful sports comedy, you'll enjoy the heck out of this.

No fighting and no romance (save for a hint here and there), so it's a family friendly film without being a kids film.

Started watching MI-5 with the roommate (I believe it's known as "Spooks" in the UK). We'd been looking for somewhere to pick it up for a while, but just happened to discover it on the Netflix Instant View list and been watching it on the 360.

Started out pretty bad. Like, hilariously bad. But once it hit the third episode, the kid gloves were off and we couldn't stop watching it. Brilliant show. Aside from the handful of episodes that have these huge plots that are extremely well done, but they wrap up in the last three minutes.

Two big examples of this are one: a plot to kill President Bush that's foiled without any intervention from MI-5 whatsoever. And another where a terrorist plans on causing a nuclear plant to go Chernobyl in North England but once you actually see the terrorists who plan to blow it up it's just two guys with a rocket launcher sitting in a field. Somewhat disappointing.

Can't wait to start the second series.