What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Yes it is.An intriguing attempt to update both the Phantom of the Opera & the Portrait of Dorian Gray for the 1970s.

Incidentally,the last thing I saw was a DVD of Baron Blood by the late,great director Mario Bava.Not one of his better works,but even minor Bava is miles better than most modern horror movies.

Thanks. I like Bava myself, but I prefer Dario Argento's work - especially The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

I've HEARD of this film' date=' but never seen it (it intrigues me). Was it worth watching?[/quote']

Yes it is.An intriguing attempt to update both the Phantom of the Opera & the Portrait of Dorian Gray for the 1970s.

Incidentally,the last thing I saw was a DVD of Baron Blood by the late,great director Mario Bava.Not one of his better works,but even minor Bava is miles better than most modern horror movies.

It also folds in a bit of "Faust" to hold it all together. The music's pretty good, too. Look for the various in-jokes about the music industry, and digs at prog-rock and glam excesses.

On an unrelated note, I just finished watching the "Space: Above and Beyond" complete series DVDs, and would highly recommend the series for anyone wanting to run a war-themed campaign (SF or not). I remember attempting to watch this when it originally aired (on Fox, naturally), and ran into trouble finding it as it kept being moved around. The series was from the producers of the "X-Files", which is probably what got them a one-year commitment and high budgets (rumored at between $1.4 million and $2 million each episode in 1995). The plot follows 5 Marine pilots from boot camp into the first war with an alien species. Unlike the BSG reboot, the dark tone never descends into hopeless melodrama, and the mysteries never seem forced. When people die, it is usually heroically, doing what they can for the greater good. Even if you take away the SF trappings, and there's still a very good story here, one worth watching.

JoeG

The spouse and I just had a movie night. On the list were;

X-Files: I Want To Believe While potentially a good movie, this wasn't really an X-File so much as an exploration into the relationship between Scully, Mulder and his incessant need to want to believe. Technically it was well done, but it just seemed to go against the weird conspiracy drama to border on "chick flick." I was very disheartened about that. They sort of just threw the last episode of the series storyline to the way side. Didn't even mention it. Ever.

I suppose I wanted some sort of definite conclusion to whether or not the super-soldier aliens were defeated or took over the world. Perhaps a story that highlighted that very turning point. Didn't get it. I guess that's the stuff of role-playing games and fan fiction these days.

That's okay, because the next movie drove any disappointment out of my mind.

Mirrors. Yeah, I can just hear all the artsy, fartsy, foreign film afficiados sniffing in disdain, but this little gem was really a joy to watch. So get over the fact that it is a remake of a Korean movie. :D

This movie could be accurately described as a thriller. It certainly kept me glued to the unfolding story. The "climactic final encounter" scene was a bit weak. I watched the unrated version and there was a bit more gore than I would have prefered. The unrelenting tension that is built up throughout the movie is absolutely fantastic. The stuff great horror movies are made of.

The special features were fun. Especially so was watching all the kooks come out of their little holes to explain the mythology of mirrors that exist in different cultures. I like "making of" documentaries and this one did not disappoint. Talking about the challenges of working with lots of mirrors was very interesting and something that was very transparent during the actual film. I really didn't think of those logistics because the story pulls you right in.

And I have to add that the producer has a delightfully mockable nasal voice.

Josh and I just watched Flashdance, which was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Yes, you read that correctly. My parents fast-forwarded through the part with boobies.

We also watched Solaris (the original Russian version) a week or two ago. Another one of the movies we had to go look up on Wikipedia to make heads or tails of.

Josh and I just watched Flashdance, which was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Yes, you read that correctly. My parents fast-forwarded through the part with boobies.

There is boobies in Flashdance? Ok, gotta make a trip to the video store. There is a boxset with Footloose (which I have yet to see) too.

There is boobies in Flashdance? Ok' date=' gotta make a trip to the video store. There is a boxset with Footloose (which I have yet to see) too.[/quote']

Just one scene. Some of the dances get a bit suggestive, and there's sex, but all off-camera. The most risqué thing Jennifer Beals does is remove her bra mid-conversation, from underneath a sweatshirt.

I'd never realized the movie had the c-word in it.

I saw Valkyrie last night. I took a friend along and bought his ticket as encouragement. When I told him it starred Cruise he was discouraged. When it was over I asked him what he thought of it, and he liked it a lot. He rates it 7.8/10 (not quite an 8, but more than a 7.5)

As a Claus von Stauffenberg admirer (he is one of my personal heroes) I loved the film. Stauffenberg family biographer and bomb plot historian Peter Hoffmann said this:

On the other hand, Stauffenberg biographer Peter Hoffmann commends the film for remaining true to the facts.

He said he believes it marks a turning point in people's understanding of the German resistance, by showing that "not all officers were followers of Hitler, indeed some may even have been anti-Nazi."

Stauffenberg's great-nephew, Franz von Stauffenberg, says the film has been made into a "good thriller", but is critical of Cruise's acting, saying he lacks expression, appears stiff and shows none of his great-uncle's characteristic humour.

"Tom Cruise seems terribly cautious, almost as if he were afraid of playing the role," he told the German Welt am Sonntag newspaper. (ref)

Also, von Stauffenberg's granson plays a role in the film.

Max Payne. I must be getting to the picky part of my life, because though this had all the elements to make a successful Max Payne movie, it failed on many levels. It was not a "bad" movie, I suppose, but it torqued enough of the Max Payne mythos to put me off. It also felt very rushed. Almost like they were trying to pull off a "nonstop, action thriller" and ended up with a bullet train. Yeah, it went fast, but it was kind of a boring trip.

Did make me want to replay Max Payne and Max Payne 2 though. ;)

I've been rewatching several of my old DVD's(mostly Battle of The Planets.The last new DVD I remember watching was Horrors From Space a compilation DVD featuring the following 50's "Atomic Horror" movies:Teenagers From Outer Space,Phantom From Space and Killers From Space. (Though only "Killers From Space" counts as a true "atomic horror" movie.)My reviews of these film are as follows:

(1)Teenagers From Outer Space:Unfairly described as "The worst movie ever made".I actually thought it could have made a decent B-movie,given better dialogue and acting (and budget!).Unfortunately when your lead actor is a worse actor than Keanu Reeves,small chance of that.

(2)Phantom from Space:A minor sci-fi film.Some good ideas,unfortunately the script & budget weren't enough.

(3)Killers From Space:Another pleasant surprise.While I had seen this film on VHS,I had thought it a pure B &W film,like the others.I thought the eerie green glow given the scenes with the aliens was a neat touch.

Seen:

Alexander (Director's cut). I haven't seen this before. It was .... OK. The fact that all the Macedonian officers were Irish, was amusing though. :D

The Good, the Bad, the Wierd. Korean noodle-western set in 1930's manchuria. Clearly inspired by the original but deeply different. A genial bandit, a bounty hunter, manchurian bandit gangs, the best assassin in Manchuria and the Japanese army all chasing a treasure map, vengeance or both. I really liked it.

Red Cliffs. Chinese big war quasi-historical movie. Great sets, cast of thousands, yadda yadda. Pretty good, although they do that weird chinese battle choreography, but one warning: it's actually part one of two. They don't tell you that in advance so they're building up to the big naval battles and ... the End. :eek: Apart from that, recommended.

Igor - about a hunchback who wants to be an evil scientist. Amusing, but a bit dumbed down. Pity, with a little more work, this could have been awesome.

Divine Weapon. Selfless noble Koreans sacrifice all to make advanced gunpowder weapons to thwart the evil invading Ming. OK, I guess. Historical note: I've been reading about the Japanese invasion of Korea under Hideyoshi recently and the multiple rocket launcher in the movie did exist and even played a part in one of the major japanese defeats. The medieval ICBMs however, did not exist :D

Singh Is Kinng. This was a huge hit when I was in India last year. Damned if I know why - it's pretty lame, even by Bollywood standards. The plot (if it matters) is about a gangster's blind brother who just wants some respect and a guy whose girl is getting married to another guy and .. whatever.

A bunch of other movies too, but I can't recall offhand what they were ...

cheers, Mark