What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

B13 -- French action film.

Arahan -- Korean martial arts film -- reminds me of Kung Fu Hustle.

The Dish -- Australian film about the radio dish receiving the TV images of the first moon landing.

Black Sheep

http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/

"I have a phobia! An irrational fear that one day exactly this will happen!"

The movie has:

Evil Sheep

Romantic Sheep

Were Sheep

Lunatic Animal Rights Activists

Farm Boys

Shotguns. Many Shotguns.

One Feisty Old Lady

Did I mention the sheep?

A really funny (and violent) film. Rent it, or go see it.

The wife and I just finished watching the complete series of Hogan's Heroes on DVD. Got through the very last two televised episodes tonight.

What? It's kinda fun. I'm actually adapting some plots for use in my Star Wars campaign.

No, seriously. :-)

Lonewalker

Top Gear (BBC): one of the most entertaining shows on television, great for car fans and non-fans alike.

Lie to Me (FOX): good fun show with lots of lying people getting what's coming to them!

Smallville (CW & DVD): I didn't start watching until late in the 5th season, but I'm hooked now. I watch the current episodes and I'm catching up with the DVDs.

Heroes (NBC): It's getting "meh", but I'm committed to it.

Kung Fu Dunk -- It looks like a Malaysian take-off on Shaolin Soccer. However, the lack of Stephen Chow is telling and it doesn't present anything that Shaolin Soccer didn't do first (and better). Still, not a bad movie, just no where near as good as the original.

Kung Fu Dunk -- It looks like a Malaysian take-off on Shaolin Soccer[i/]. However' date=' the lack of Stephen Chow is telling and it doesn't present anything that [i']Shaolin Soccer[i/] didn't do first (and better). Still, not a bad movie, just no where near as good as the original.

I've heard some good things about a Japanese film produced by Chow: Kungfu Girl. Cute Japanese girl returns home after 10 years of studying Kung Fu, then uses her skills to play sports and fight gangsters. I'm hoping to find a copy to rent before I buy it.

Just saw the "Burn Notice" season ending with another Watchmen trailer
I was somewhat disappointed in the season finale. It was fun and all, but it just didn't leave me wanting more. It was almost a closing punctuation mark on the series. Let's hope that all the ominous foreboding makes for an interesting story next season.

I've heard some good things about a Japanese film produced by Chow: Kungfu Girl. Cute Japanese girl returns home after 10 years of studying Kung Fu' date=' then uses her skills to play sports and fight gangsters. I'm hoping to find a copy to rent before I buy it.[/quote']

I've hard mixed reviews of that one. One of the problems with Kung Fu Dunk is certain scenes are just like ones in Shaolin Soccer. For example -- the final basketball game is versus the "evil" team, who call come out looking like extras from The Road Warrior.

I've hard mixed reviews of that one. One of the problems with Kung Fu Dunk is certain scenes are just like ones in Shaolin Soccer. For example -- the final basketball game is versus the "evil" team' date=' who call come out looking like extras from [i']The Road Warrior[/i].

Yup. One of the problems with HK films, even more so than Hollywood (which is also guilty), is the need to copy anything successful several dozen times. It's even worse when they copy something with genuine heart like Shaolin Soccer. Almost always, the copy follows the surface story and misses everything that made the original good.

Cue Mark Millar's entire life.

Don't think I've heard of that one. I'll have to look into it.

Lonewalker

'Allo 'Allo was one of those series that was hysterically funny at first, but for me at least, lost funniness pretty rapidly because it's basically a one-joke series. They got some pretty amazing mileage out of that one joke, but still...

cheers, Mark

The wife and I just finished watching the complete series of Hogan's Heroes on DVD. Got through the very last two televised episodes tonight.

What? It's kinda fun. I'm actually adapting some plots for use in my Star Wars campaign.

No, seriously. :-)

Lonewalker

I've just finished watched S1 of Hogan's Heroes too. Nice show. Which episodes are you adapting?

Saw Watchmen last night. My expectations were pretty low, and I was pleasantly surprised. No single moment made me say "wow", but there were some solid performances, the set design and cinematography were good, and the changed ending didn't much bother me.

The dialog additions here and there were weak, and Moore's own dialog doesn't work as well when spoken, but still, the movie worked pretty well for me.

I'll probably rent or buy the DVD extended version.