What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just finished season 1 of the Highlander TV series. Working my way through season 2. I forgot just how much I enjoyed this show when it was on. I do get a bit of a giggle over the ancient electronics tech. Glad they stuck with MacLeod chopping other immortals' heads off. :eg:

Yeah' date=' sort of like [i']Se7en[/i].

Layercake and Rocknrolla.

Se7en a downer? What movie were you watching? It's a heart-warming, uplifting tale of of our young hero John Doe's search for self-actualization... What?

Layercake is excellent. I didn't care for Rocknrolla. I am much more partial to Snatch and Lock, Stock.

Se7en a downer? What movie were you watching? It's a heart-warming, uplifting tale of of our young hero John Doe's search for self-actualization... What?

Layercake is excellent. I didn't care for Rocknrolla. I am much more partial to Snatch and Lock, Stock.

While I liked both movies, I too prefer Snatch and Lock, Stock.

The muppet show season 1

I still have the song "never smile at a crocodile" running through my head

season 2 and 3 are out, but according to the Amazon reviews they seem to have less special features as they come out.

They took out the "Muppet morsels". it was a setting that had trivia like: song names, performers, a running count of the number of times Miss Piggy karate chops someone, and points out mistakes.

Jekyll

Just watched the last of the BBC Jekyll series, through Netflix streaming video.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

On the down side, it suffered from creating a Hyde that we only once saw do anything slightly more Evil than the average Action Hero; most of the time, he's barely managing bullied kid wish fulfilment (and those would be fairly mild wishes). His body count is trivial by the standards of American TV, let alone revenge films. You do get a few unsatisfying half explanations for Hyde's paper tiger status.

Moffat is going for "Hyde is a child" and even "Hyde is Love of Family", neither of which really work if you spend much time seriously observing children or families.

Bad science and mediocre fiction, but very typical Steven Moffat.

"Hyde wasn't all that evil in the story, either" is a sort of defense, but not much of one.

The show also suffered from a few gaping plot holes, but now I'm probably giving the impression that I disliked the show.

All of that was the downside. On the upside, this was an entertaining People with Powers story, complete with a Secret History, a conspiracy stretching back at least one century, super-bloodlines, colorful characters, and multiple secret identities. From a comic book geek or gamer point of view, there's plenty of stuff to enjoy here, and plenty of material to use in a campaign.

If you can rent it, or watch it for free, it's worth your time.

I've been watching a lot of things recently - 2 24hour plane trips (to and from London) plus recovery from jet lag and staying in bed :)

Quantom of Solace - not a patch on the previous movie. Action even harder to follow, overall it has no memorable moments.

Slumdog Millionare - brilliant movie, a must see.

Burn After Reading - hohum. Not very funny at all, and not as good as their previous work.

Press Gang season 1 and 2. Stephen Moffat's first TV series. Mostly watched this as a comfort show for Kath before the wedding and as post-honeymoon lag filler.

A few eps of The Avengers - some of the Diana Riggs eps I bought recently.

How to Lose Friends - a cute Simon Peg comedy about celebrity journalism. Pretty good.

Shaolin Soccer and Spirited Away.

Both great films. I've watched Shaolin Soccer a disturbingly high number of times.

Have you seen the extended version, with the dance number at the steamed bread stand and Mui (the Tai Chi girl) beating up her boss? Always wish they'd kept those scenes in; Mui's character becomes much more interesting.

It's worth picking up' date=' or renting. Makes Mui into someone you can really root for, and makes it clearer why she found Sing so attractive.[/quote']

I need to try and find it. I've only seen the American releases... and I own a Chinese DVD.

Have you seen the extended version' date=' with the dance number at the steamed bread stand and Mui (the Tai Chi girl) beating up her boss? Always wish they'd kept those scenes in; Mui's character becomes much more interesting.[/quote']

Huh. I didn't realise there was a version without those scenes: its' the only one I've seen.

cheers, Mark

I'm not sure. I think so.

Quicktime on a mac plays VCDs, so yes. Yes, you can :D

In fact we watched the first disc of my ancient VCD Lodoss War set last week while waiting for the rest of the gaming group to turn up. I'd forgotten how cheesy it is :D

cheers, Mark