What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

There's three' date=' apparently. The one Oddhat mentioned, the one I've seen, and the hacked American theater release.[/quote']

Huh. Learn something new every day. Now that I think about it, Shaolin Soccer is part of the huge haul of discs we bought in Hong Kong, so that makes sense. I can't recall if it's a VCD or a DVD (the former, I think, because I do recall the video quality is not that great).

cheers, Mark

Huh. Learn something new every day. Now that I think about it, Shaolin Soccer is part of the huge haul of discs we bought in Hong Kong, so that makes sense. I can't recall if it's a VCD or a DVD (the former, I think, because I do recall the video quality is not that great).

cheers, Mark

No place like HK for DVD browsing. I still order from an HK web site.

When we were in Tokyo the prices for tapes and DVDs were absurdly high, even with my salary in yen. Always made more sense to order from overseas or to wait until a vacation to pick stuff up.

Been watching Dollhouse and Secret Diary of a Call Girl online.

Enjoying both shows thoroughly.

Dolhouse started off as a pretty dicey premise to me, but I like some of the twists they've put in recently, so I am giving it more of a chance. Secret Diary was surprisingly good.

OSS 117 - Cairo, Nest of Spies

Hard to describe this one, except that the people who've called it a French Austin Powers are mostly wrong. It's a sort of French Peter Sellers version of Our Man Flint, with a touch of Airplaine. Without the comedy, it would work well as a 1960s Spy Film.

OSS 117 is a handsome, physically competent swaggering idiot. His assignment: Preserve French interests by making the Middle East safe. This mainly involves beating up random innocent people, getting knocked out, sex with beautiful but deranged women, and interaction with rival spies, sometimes in that order.

Not a great film, but fun, and worth a rental.

I caught the second half of The Corsican Brothers on TCM recently. No, not the Cheech & Chong parody, but a genuine adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as twin brothers who experience each other's pain and emotional stresses. As a result one of them hates the other passionately because he is not free to think his own thoughts. Complicating matters is that they are the last scions of a destroyed noble house, and the local baron is the one who is trying to wipe out their line.

The half I saw was a darned good movie. I'm trying to find the whole thing, but Netflix doesn't have it (and if they don't have it it means there's no DVD release period).

One of these days I'm going to seriously start keeping track in advance of what will be on TCM so I can DVR the more interesting movies. I've just missed a lot of movies I would have enjoyed seeing.

As a filler for a couple of weeks until our regular GM gets his superhero game together I'm running a brief Deadlands: Reloaded adventure, so naturally I had to head back to the DVD cabinet to rewatch my two essential Old West research models: Tombstone and Blazing Saddles :D

They both still stand up rather well. Tombstone has the right feel for the sort of game we're playing and Blazing Saddles is essential viewing if you're going to catch what the players are laughing about.

Charlie - They said you was hung!

Bart - And they was right!

Mind you, they're roughly equal in terms of historical accuracy, but what the heck, this is entertainment! And research... Yes, yes, research...

Sadly, I can only watch films like these when my girlfriend is out for the evening. She hates westerns :(

As a filler for a couple of weeks until our regular GM gets his superhero game together I'm running a brief Deadlands: Reloaded adventure' date=' so naturally I had to head back to the DVD cabinet to rewatch my two essential Old West research models: [b']Tombstone[/b] and Blazing Saddles :D

They both still stand up rather well. Tombstone has the right feel for the sort of game we're playing and Blazing Saddles is essential viewing if you're going to catch what the players are laughing about.

Charlie - They said you was hung!

Bart - And they was right!

Mind you, they're roughly equal in terms of historical accuracy, but what the heck, this is entertainment! And research... Yes, yes, research...

Sadly, I can only watch films like these when my girlfriend is out for the evening. She hates westerns :(

Gotta toss a vote in for Silverado and Open Range, both are excellent westerns as well.

I caught the second half of The Corsican Brothers on TCM recently. No, not the Cheech & Chong parody, but a genuine adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as twin brothers who experience each other's pain and emotional stresses. As a result one of them hates the other passionately because he is not free to think his own thoughts. Complicating matters is that they are the last scions of a destroyed noble house, and the local baron is the one who is trying to wipe out their line.

The half I saw was a darned good movie. I'm trying to find the whole thing, but Netflix doesn't have it (and if they don't have it it means there's no DVD release period).

One of these days I'm going to seriously start keeping track in advance of what will be on TCM so I can DVR the more interesting movies. I've just missed a lot of movies I would have enjoyed seeing.

I understand that you can find a listing of a month's worth of movies at the TCM website. It's pretty big, though -- a friend of mine printed it out and it ran to more than 40 pages.

In fact, here it should be: TCM's April schedule

The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai

Wow. Disturbing pinku eiga (softcore film) mixing horror and dark comedy. It's what Miike would have directed after watching a Woody Allen film festival. Sachiko is a prostitute, who after being shot in the head becomes a genius with unpredictable and uncontrolable psychic powers. Or, she may be suffering through an increasingly strange death dream. It's hard to be sure.

If you're a fan of strange Japanese films, you might like this. And you might never feel clean again.