What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

gi joe resolute

captain america tv movie

Oh man, I had almost forgotten about that Captain America movie. It was pretty awful even by 70s standards. That and the Spider-Man movie of the same era. Just dreadful. Special effects and costuming technology have sure come a long way since then.

Oh man' date=' I had almost forgotten about that Captain America movie. It was pretty awful even by 70s standards. That and the Spider-Man movie of the same era. Just dreadful. Special effects and costuming technology have sure come a long way since then.[/quote']

A decent script, not to mention a good director and lots of money help too. ;)

Ummm... last night I watched The Biggest Loser final episode and grand finale, Masterchef Australia's first episode, and (for tonight) half an episode of Bondi Rescue and the evening news.

I really need to watch more TV that I want to watch when I get the chance.

I watched Last Chance Harvey last night. A romance movie (not a comedy) with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Both the characters are very lonely people, who connect on a random meeting.

I thought it was one of the best romance movies of all time - but that is because I've been the lonely one before, and I really empathize with the characters. Emma's character is always reading, and when her friends set her up with a date, everyone else is talking animatedly, and she just sits there, obviously not comfortable. And then the guy ends up talking to someone he met at the bar....

I've been that wallflower, feeling completely the outsider.

Highly recommended if you like romantic movies.

Heroic Trio - First saw this at least ten years ago, and it's still a great low budget Superhero movie. Three distinct and memorable heroines with distinct power sets, two memorable villains with distinct power sets, costumes, and a modern setting.

I hadn't intended to include these characters in my GenCon game, but I can't see how I could skip them.

People who claim Superheroes are American Only are cheating themselves.

Guest steamteck

Finally finished up Highlander the Series on Hulu. Had an extremely fun time watching the show, though I was somewhat disappointed by the flashback series ending. I think the finale could have stood for at least another fifteen minutes or so to wrap up some things.

Some of the creative staff/actors released a fifteen minute or so follow-up in 2008. Wasn't so great and really didn't add anything to the mythos.

My favorite series ever but it definitely declined before it left us.

I always loved the first Highlander movie. There were a few things in the series that I sort of liked, but in the end when I do include Highlander tributes in my campaign I like to think only of the movie as canon.

The other movies are not part of my personal canon. ;)

Super Inframan.

This should have been called "The Chinese Superman" or "Ultimate Man", based on the Chinese characters.

It should have been called "The Movie Made for MST3K" based on content.

Taken as kid's entertainment of the time period, it has a certain basic charm. I could see being enthusiastic about it if you'd seen it the first time when you were six. As a Superhero movie, or Dai Kaiju movie, well, it's not the very worst, but it's not good.

Started watching Merlin

and continuing watching S4 of Buffy.

quite interesting seeing Anthony Head playing two parts about 10 years apart. One an occult libarian and the other a king who has banned magic from his realm.

Arahan

Arahan

Go buy or rent this. Seriously, go now.

If Stephen Chow and Sam Raimi decided to co-produce a Super Hero movie, it would look something like this. Comedy, action, some romance, some pathos, a few very memorable frights that make you say "Yes, that is in fact a bad guy".

Nerdy traffic cop discovers the hidden Martial Arts Masters of Korea, and is recruited (at first against his will) to become their disciple. Just in time, as the Seventh Master has been freed from his imprisonment beneath Seoul, and has come back for revenge, and for the power that will make him the ruler of the Earth.

Good (though not great) CGI SFX, excellent performances in both the comedic and dramatic arcs of the film, good music choices, and a story that nicely combines classic Wuxia and modern Super Heroism. This isn't a great film, but it's very good, just a bit under the Shaolin Soccer level. I expect to re-watch it many times.

Re: Arahan

Arahan

Go buy or rent this. Seriously, go now.

If Stephen Chow and Sam Raimi decided to co-produce a Super Hero movie, it would look something like this. Comedy, action, some romance, some pathos, a few very memorable frights that make you say "Yes, that is in fact a bad guy".

Nerdy traffic cop discovers the hidden Martial Arts Masters of Korea, and is recruited (at first against his will) to become their disciple. Just in time, as the Seventh Master has been freed from his imprisonment beneath Seoul, and has come back for revenge, and for the power that will make him the ruler of the Earth.

Good (though not great) CGI SFX, excellent performances in both the comedic and dramatic arcs of the film, good music choices, and a story that nicely combines classic Wuxia and modern Super Heroism. This isn't a great film, but it's very good, just a bit under the Shaolin Soccer level. I expect to re-watch it many times.

Ahem... have seen it, agree 110.

Oh, and don't forget -- No Palm Blasts in the house.

PS: Oddhat? My birthday is next month..... :D

Dark City. People have been kidnapped, erased, and are given new memories every night. Things go wrong for the kidnappers when John Murdock learns to use their machines against them.

The scene where the city is turned toward the sun for the first time stands out from the blackness of the rest of the movie.

CES

Dark City. People have been kidnapped, erased, and are given new memories every night. Things go wrong for the kidnappers when John Murdock learns to use their machines against them.

The scene where the city is turned toward the sun for the first time stands out from the blackness of the rest of the movie.

CES

Excellent film.

Did you see the director's cut or the theatrical version?