What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Dark City. People have been kidnapped, erased, and are given new memories every night. Things go wrong for the kidnappers when John Murdock learns to use their machines against them.

The scene where the city is turned toward the sun for the first time stands out from the blackness of the rest of the movie.

CES

I'd just like to be pedantic it here - people live at night only - the day is 12 hours long and ends before dawn, starting after sunset. There's a gap at midnight (of an unknown length) where they are either stopped or reprogrammed with different memories and personalities while the city is remodelled.

Recently I watched season 3 of Press Gang and a Back to the Future marathon.

I'd just like to be pedantic it here - people live at night only - the day is 12 hours long and ends before dawn, starting after sunset. There's a gap at midnight (of an unknown length) where they are either stopped or reprogrammed with different memories and personalities while the city is remodelled.

Actually there is no day ever from what the characters say in the movie. The doctor specifically states that the Strangers can't stand daylight and keep the city from ever facing the sun. The memory reprogramming makes everyone think there is a day and night when there never is which is brought out in the interview at the police station.

Everyone is programmed to remember daylight as part of living on a real planet, but no one ever sees it.

CES

Actually there is no day ever from what the characters say in the movie. The doctor specifically states that the Strangers can't stand daylight and keep the city from ever facing the sun. The memory reprogramming makes everyone think there is a day and night when there never is which is brought out in the interview at the police station.

Everyone is programmed to remember daylight as part of living on a real planet, but no one ever sees it.

CES

Hate to be even more pedantic here but there is no sun around which the City orbits - Sewell's character creates a sun at the end to give the first dawn:)

Hate to be even more pedantic here but there is no sun around which the City orbits - Sewell's character creates a sun at the end to give the first dawn:)

I thought he just rotated the city to face an existing sun.

If I were to use it as a setting for Urban Fantasy / Science Fiction - I'd even situate it in our solar system, for ease of transport of humans. There are astronomically large areas out of the plane of the ecliptic where it could be placed without detection.

Eurovision.

I like to think of it as "What would happen if Euro Superheroes had a singing contest?"

Some superb characters for Susano's 'Pictures That Might Be Superheroes' amongst this year's entries (Let alone Lordi from years previous :-) ).

Vampire Cop Ricky.

I had low expectations for this one, and was pleasantly surprised. A Korean comedy with some action and a bit of horror, it starts with a cop movie that would have worked on its own and then adds slapstick and urban fantasy. The result is very entertaining. Pretty good SFX (often played for laughs), nice camera work, good acting for the genres involved. Worth seeing.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1 and 2. Lots of camp and not so cleverly disguised teen drama bits. Still, the cast has a great chemistry and the show is fun to watch. Willow is awesome in a way that can't be described. Vampire Willow in the "alternate" Sunnydale was absolutely my favorite character ever. Currently in Season 3 and the show is continuing along the darker meme started towards the end of Season 2.

I hope Hulu gets permission to air later seasons of Angel and Buffy.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1 and 2. Lots of camp and not so cleverly disguised teen drama bits. Still, the cast has a great chemistry and the show is fun to watch. Willow is awesome in a way that can't be described. Vampire Willow in the "alternate" Sunnydale was absolutely my favorite character ever. Currently in Season 3 and the show is continuing along the darker meme started towards the end of Season 2.

I hope Hulu gets permission to air later seasons of Angel and Buffy.

Vamp Willow is a classic character. I'm up to season 5 (first time watching Buffy ever.)